Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #28,023 of 46,553
Love the National. Too bad their albums are mastered so poorly.

Sorry I missed this post at the time. Yes, their production is very poor. I don't think it's even a deliberate attempt to be lo-fi, they just got it wrong. Funnily enough the live show is actually very well produced. At least it has been in the medium sied venues I've seen them in.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #28,025 of 46,553
Years ago, I had a Marantz CD player. I also had a costly headphone amp. I honestly didn't think music sounded any better out of the dedicated amp than straight from the CD player headphone jack. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #28,026 of 46,553
  Anyone else getting reDACted? The Multibit Gungnir? I think it will bring even more to the 650's... I can't wait.

I'm thinking the same thing.  After selling off some gear (no not the 650), I'm thinking of the multibit Gungnir.  Or I might simplify the chain and go for the Sony HAP-Z1ES.  I've been finding deals on the Sony lately, and the thought of no USB in my music chain is insanely appealing...

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #28,027 of 46,553
  Years ago, I had a Marantz CD player. I also had a costly headphone amp. I honestly didn't think music sounded any better out of the dedicated amp than straight from the CD player headphone jack. 

It must be said Marantz always put good quality headphones-outs on their amps and CD players. Both my Marantz amp and two CD players sound excellent with headphones.
But this is definitely not something to take for granted, because every other component (non-Marantz) I have owned in the past didn't come with good headphones outputs.

This said I don't think you'll ever need to spend lots of money on a dedicated amp.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #28,028 of 46,553

I'm thinking the same thing.  After selling off some gear (no not the 650), I'm thinking of the multibit Gungnir.  Or I might simplify the chain and go for the Sony HAP-Z1ES.  I've been finding deals on the Sony lately, and the thought of no USB in my music chain is insanely appealing...

Have you heard the Yggy with the 650's? It sounded insanely good to me. I am hoping for the same effect with reDACted.

The Sony looks interesting... have you had a chance to audition it?

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #28,029 of 46,553
  Have you heard the Yggy with the 650's? It sounded insanely good to me. I am hoping for the same effect with reDACted.

There were three at the last meet I went to.  I'm far from a DAC expert, but I liked what I head.  Very musical sounding, not overly bright or dark.  And that was listening to it through Woo Tube amps and multiple solid state amps.

But no, I haven't heard the Yggy at all yet...

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #28,030 of 46,553

The Yggy has a cooked-in Wyrd. That means you'll have to sell (me) yours if you go that route lol.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #28,031 of 46,553
So i have hd 650 for about 6 months and im using them with fiio e10k but ,i want to upgrade to something else.Im thinking of buying Schiit modi 2 and magni 2.But sadly i live in ireland and they can't ship it from schiit europe website ;/ And electromod website only has magi 2 with UK Mains Transformer ;/ Or maybe buy O2 + ODAC Combo for 270Eur? 

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #28,032 of 46,553
  So i have hd 650 for about 6 months and im using them with fiio e10k but ,i want to upgrade to something else.Im thinking of buying Schiit modi 2 and magni 2.But sadly i live in ireland and they can't ship it from schiit europe website ;/ And electromod website only has magi 2 with UK Mains Transformer ;/ Or maybe buy O2 + ODAC Combo for 270Eur? 

Or you could use the line out from the Fiio, and spend your money on a better amp?  Does Garage1217 ship to Ireland?

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #28,033 of 46,553

The O2 is not up to the job of getting the best out of the HD 650. I had one & thought it was OK until I heard the Project Ember. There's quite a gulf in quality between them. Not because it's the Project Ember though but because the 650 does seem to work particularly well with a valve amp.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #28,034 of 46,553

The O2 is not up to the job of getting the best out of the HD 650. I had one & thought it was OK until I heard the Project Ember. There's quite a gulf in quality between them. Not because it's the Project Ember though but because the 650 does seem to work particularly well with a valve amp.

Well project ember with delivery cost 350 Eu.And after that i need coaxial to rca to connect my fiio e10k to the amp and thats it?

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #28,035 of 46,553
  Well project ember with delivery cost 350 Eu.And after that i need coaxial to rca to connect my fiio e10k to the amp and thats it?

Yes, that would work. If you decided to go with the Project Ember I'd recommend buying the 6SN7 adapter from G1217 at the same time. You'll lamost certainly want to try it further down the line & there's no point paying import duty on two separate items if it can be avoided.

It's worth noting that if the price of the Ember is prohibitive they also make cheaper amps. The Solstice seems to be well regarded and I can vouch for the Polaris. It's a solid-state design but designed to have some of the warmth of a valve amp but without the hassle of buying valves. I've heard it & it's very good but for me I felt the Ember was just that bit better. Now that I'm using 6SN7's I'm glad I did because a good one lifts the Ember onto another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back