Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #23,941 of 46,514
Alright guys, finally broke down and got myself the hd650. I've owned the HD580 for a good long while (one of my first giid headphones).

I'll be honest, I haven't read more than a few pages on this thread... Not sure how to search this question, so help me out if you know where to send me, better yet, have the answer.

I cannot tell if my memory is playing tricks on me or not, so here goes. I'm happy with the sound quality of the HD650, so the following statements are regardibg the build quality of everything except for the drivers themselves.

From past experiences listening to friend's hd650s and attending meets over the years, I remember a special regard to the build an aesthetics to the HD650. At one time, I vaguely asserted I would never buy any headphone that expensive! So I may have put it a bit on a pedestal, but always go back to the idea that the hd650 felt like brand new car paint with a nice gloss clear coat.

Maybe my memory is not all that clear, or I had too high expectations, but damn, I clearly remember the texture of the housing, headband, and yolks not feeling so plastic-ee!

Tell me I'm just going crazy and nothing has changed? Did Sennheiser cut down on production costs and go with a cheap plastic? Did they change their paint quality? Do they even paint the HD650 any more? I don't ever remember seeing so many plastic-mold lines on the hd650 before...

I opened the box and the HD650 came in a black box similar to my hd800, but much smaller, when did Senn. stop packing the HD650 in the (faux) metal box?

Certainly not the end of the world or anything, but some just tell me I'm crazy!

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #23,942 of 46,514

thanks for the quick reply, my confidence is okay now, only have to wait for my wallet (girlfriend) to give the ok.

Hahhahahhahaahaaa.....oh wait, that's me too :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #23,943 of 46,514

Alright guys, finally broke down and got myself the hd650. I've owned the HD580 for a good long while (one of my first giid headphones).

I'll be honest, I haven't read more than a few pages on this thread... Not sure how to search this question, so help me out if you know where to send me, better yet, have the answer.

I cannot tell if my memory is playing tricks on me or not, so here goes. I'm happy with the sound quality of the HD650, so the following statements are regardibg the build quality of everything except for the drivers themselves.

From past experiences listening to friend's hd650s and attending meets over the years, I remember a special regard to the build an aesthetics to the HD650. At one time, I vaguely asserted I would never buy any headphone that expensive! So I may have put it a bit on a pedestal, but always go back to the idea that the hd650 felt like brand new car paint with a nice gloss clear coat.

Maybe my memory is not all that clear, or I had too high expectations, but damn, I clearly remember the texture of the housing, headband, and yolks not feeling so plastic-ee!

Tell me I'm just going crazy and nothing has changed? Did Sennheiser cut down on production costs and go with a cheap plastic? Did they change their paint quality? Do they even paint the HD650 any more? I don't ever remember seeing so many plastic-mold lines on the hd650 before...

I opened the box and the HD650 came in a black box similar to my hd800, but much smaller, when did Senn. stop packing the HD650 in the (faux) metal box?

Certainly not the end of the world or anything, but some just tell me I'm crazy!

It does feel abit plasticky but I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it so I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #23,945 of 46,514
I have had mine for 3 years. And with care putting them back in the box after listening to them they are still like new.

I'm not worried about the plastic, truly... I've owned the HD580 for quite some time now. I'm fixated on the change in materials. Can anyone confirm if it has or hasn't changed?

There's HD650s that are over a decade old at this point... we alk know these things are like tanks! Hell, my hd580 are probably closer to 20yrs old... and they are like-new besides the earpads.

Maybe I'm jaded from owning the HD800, but I feel the HD650s no longer feel like a luxury headphone, like they once did. Oh the real-world problems of a HeadFier! :evil:

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #23,946 of 46,514
I'm not worried about the plastic, truly... I've owned the HD580 for quite some time now. I'm fixated on the change in materials. Can anyone confirm if it has or hasn't changed?

There's HD650s that are over a decade old at this point... we alk know these things are like tanks! Hell, my hd580 are probably closer to 20yrs old... and they are like-new besides the earpads.

Maybe I'm jaded from owning the HD800, but I feel the HD650s no longer feel like a luxury headphone, like they once did. Oh the real-world problems of a HeadFier!
evil_smiley.gif

The 650 has not changed, with the exception of the black/silver screened drivers, since the beginning. Same materials as always...so yes, you are spoiled by the hd800 and somewhat crazy. 
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #23,947 of 46,514
Sometimes "plasticy" is a good thing.  Plastics can take some abuses that metals cannot.  Mine are 4 years old and couldn't be worse for wear...

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #23,948 of 46,514

The 650 has not changed, with the exception of the black/silver screened drivers, since the beginning. Same materials as always...so yes, you are spoiled by the hd800 and somewhat crazy. 
tongue.gif

I'd agree they're not super-luxurious to the feel, but they're built very well and still have great functional aesthetics, and sound soooooo good :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #23,953 of 46,514
So you guys are feeling no pain, aren't you?

beerchug.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #23,954 of 46,514

Hi Mrscotchguy,
I got my first HD650 in 2011. It was a well used demo unit from a local shop, built probably 2010. The mold lines where equal to the lines of my new 2015 purchase from Amazon. But it had the old Faux Metal box that you also remember. After looking at old pictures from the HD650 when it was released, one can tell that the built quality was better. I can imagine that the mold lines have been removed manually. And the paint job was done more in a matte style. The HD650 of today share the finish of the HD600 in regards of mold lines ánd the glossy paint job. So Sennheiser wants the old flagship to look cheap these days to give the HD700/800 more reasons to be expensive. They did not change the sound, so I am fine. But you are not crazy, the outer appearence definetly changed.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #23,955 of 46,514

Hi Mrscotchguy,
I got my first HD650 in 2011. It was a well used demo unit from a local shop, built probably 2010. The mold lines where equal to the lines of my new 2015 purchase from Amazon. But it had the old Faux Metal box that you also remember. After looking at old pictures from the HD650 when it was released, one can tell that the built quality was better. I can imagine that the mold lines have been removed manually. And the paint job was done more in a matte style. The HD650 of today share the finish of the HD600 in regards of mold lines ánd the glossy paint job. So Sennheiser wants the old flagship to look cheap these days to give the HD700/800 more reasons to be expensive. They did not change the sound, so I am fine. But you are not crazy, the outer appearence definetly changed.

Wow!  Thank you, I appreciate the in-depth and thorough explanation.  Now there's two of us in the crazy boat together :wink: !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back