Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #22,696 of 46,527
Not trying to insult Shure, but I read somewhere that the Shure SRH 1840 is a distortion monster, with very high levels of bass distortion and harmonic distortion.
And there were measurements to back it up.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #22,697 of 46,527

If you end up believing in it via tube amps then that'll separate you from me. The tubes altered the sound of my old LCD-2.2's a bit but the tubes themselves didn't "burn in" past the first hour.

That has not been my experience with quite a bit of tube rolling over the last couple of months. Tubes definitely change their flavor a bit with burn-in, but it takes a while (50+ hours?).

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #22,698 of 46,527

That has not been my experience with quite a bit of tube rolling over the last couple of months. Tubes definitely change their flavor a bit with burn-in, but it takes a while (50+ hours?).

I don't think I could remember what my amplifier sounded like fifty hours previously. LOL

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #22,699 of 46,527
  I don't think I could remember what my amplifier sounded like fifty hours previously. LOL

Well, in all fairness, I am just parroting the 50 hour comment. I have experienced this by starting with a matched set, running with one of the tubes for some time, then changing to the other of the pair and noticing a difference (especially, after some time, going back). Of course, it's all very anecdotal, so who knows...

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #22,700 of 46,527

That is true, anyways tubes have well-documented and measurable differences before and after burn-in, there isn't any doubt that tubes burn-in and change sonically throughout their life. The length of burn-in depends on the tubes. Tubes also obviously burn-out as they approach their end of their life.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #22,701 of 46,527
Tubes, NOS in particular have a big difference from initial power up to 20-40 hr burn in. I've found the difference is the tubes sounding dull and lifeless to them opening up and sounding like tubes that have been in service for more than 20-40 hours. This is also shown in test results from NOS untouched, tested tubes to 24 hours later.

Capacitors also have burn-in which can change their affect on sound quite a bit. Some were still changing after 85 hours (my Elna Silmic II capacitors).

Headphones, I can believe as well.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #22,702 of 46,527

Well, in all fairness, I am just parroting the 50 hour comment. I have experienced this by starting with a matched set, running with one of the tubes for some time, then changing to the other of the pair and noticing a difference (especially, after some time, going back). Of course, it's all very anecdotal, so who knows...

Thinking further. I guess one could replace tubes that have been burned-in for fifty hours, with a pair fresh out of the box and hear sonic differences.  I'm not a tube roller but now I wonder if I should be. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #22,703 of 46,527
Tubes, NOS in particular have a big difference from initial power up to 20-40 hr burn in. I've found the difference is the tubes sounding dull and lifeless to them opening up and sounding like tubes that have been in service for more than 20-40 hours. This is also shown in test results from NOS untouched, tested tubes to 24 hours later.

Capacitors also have burn-in which can change their affect on sound quite a bit. Some were still changing after 85 hours (my Elna Silmic II capacitors).

Headphones, I can believe as well.

High quality film capacitors often need at least 50-100hrs burn in before sounding there best. Teflon capacitors much longer with around 200+hrs widely excepted as normal. Audio Research give guidelines of 500hrs for burning in the Teflon capacitors on some of there reference amps, I remember reading a piece about their burning in room where some of the amps get the first 200hrs running in before they even leave the factory. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #22,704 of 46,527
Do I seriously have to put "in my opinion" after everything I write? That's not going to happen. This is a forum where people express opinions, get used to it.

True, but I think you do have to expect some push back when you characterize a fairly well regarded closed studio headphone as "junk."  It isn't exactly as though you provided a substantive review for others to discuss in terms of particular sonic attributes.  A sarcastic/straw man response to your terse hyperbole seems somewhat appropriate to me.

I don't own a pair, but I thought the sr840's sounded pretty good (but seriously uncomfortable) when I listened to them.  Tyll had them up on his wall of fame for quite a while before they were dethroned by newer models : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed  Granted, they're no hd650's, but you could do a lot worse in the world of closed headphones.        

[edit: typo]                                     

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #22,705 of 46,527
Thinking further. I guess one could replace tubes that have been burned-in for fifty hours, with a pair fresh out of the box and hear sonic differences.  I'm not a tube roller but now I wonder if I should be. :wink_face:

You definitely can tell the difference between true NOS tubes and partially used. NOS usually sound like crap initially, then beautiful. Used tubes sound good usually, to a point where if they're near the end of life, they start sounding crappy.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #22,706 of 46,527
Do I seriously have to put "in my opinion" after everything I write? That's not going to happen. This is a forum where people express opinions, get used to it.

I qualified what I said about burn-in earlier so I'd suggest you read posts in context. Also, AKG are a well respected audio brand; want to hear my opinion of the Q701? Or how about Monster, another respected audio brand? And unlike Shure's lead engineer, I'm not selling anything.

You tried to discount Shure's lead engineer's statement because you didn't like the SRH840. I shouldn't even need to list off all the reasons that's completely asinine. You're trying to misdirect the real problem with what you said with the whole "in my opinion" thing. No duh that was your opinion, but you tried to use that opinion as justification to claim that Shure's engineer was wrong and that, I guess, YOU know better.

I don't care what you think about the SRH840. I sold my pair after a few months because I didn't like them. That doesn't change the fact that the lead engineer of an exceptionally well-respected audio company outright said burn-in was a myth but, hey. I guess you know better, right?

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #22,708 of 46,527
  Recently purchased the HD650's but still feel like they need a DAC/Amp to make them really sing. My iPhone 6+ just doesn't seem to cut it.

I'd definitely agree that the 6+, although it has a great output (I own one), just doesn't have the oomph for the 650s. 

I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo that seems to push them plenty, but it seems like 'round here the Magni/Modi and O2/ODAC get the most love. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #22,709 of 46,527

True, but I think you do have to expect some push back when you characterize a fairly well regarded closed studio headphone as "junk."  It isn't exactly as though you provided a substantive review for others to discuss in terms of particular sonic attributes.  A sarcastic/straw man response to your terse hyperbole seems somewhat appropriate to me.

I don't own a pair, but I thought the sr840's sounded pretty good (but seriously uncomfortable) when I listened to them.  Tyll had them up on his wall of fame for quite a while before they were dethroned by newer models : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed  Granted, they're no hd650's, but you could do a lot worse in the world of closed headphones.        

[edit: typo]                                     

That's a fair point mate although back when I had them I actually did do a small review where I praised them. They were the best headphones I'd ever heard at that point. And yes, to call them junk is overstating things but I can only compare what I've personally heard and that's the yardstick I have to use. People call Beats junk but I'm guessing they're better than the original Apple earbuds so that makes them junk. It's all relative.

You tried to discount Shure's lead engineer's statement because you didn't like the SRH840. I shouldn't even need to list off all the reasons that's completely asinine. You're trying to misdirect the real problem with what you said with the whole "in my opinion" thing. No duh that was your opinion, but you tried to use that opinion as justification to claim that Shure's engineer was wrong and that, I guess, YOU know better.

I don't care what you think about the SRH840. I sold my pair after a few months because I didn't like them. That doesn't change the fact that the lead engineer of an exceptionally well-respected audio company outright said burn-in was a myth but, hey. I guess you know better, right?

I think that engineers opinion is wrong when we're talking about the HD 650. I heard no evidence of burn-in on any of my other headphones, ever. As I said, he has a vested interest whereas I do not. As far as my ears and my tastes are concerned I most certainly do know better.  Out of the 2000-odd posts I've made on these forums there's not one where I claim to know anything about a product I've never owned or heard with my own ears.

For instance, I was trying to help a guy on the help threads to choose a headphone and it seemed to me that he was just going with whatever I said as though it was gospel so I cautioned him to wait and get some other opinions. Today he updated the thread and indeed did buy the HD 650. Now he's asking what amp to buy and I said the Project Ember sounds great with the 650. Well, you know what's coming next. So again I cautioned him to take some more advice and opinions and directed him to the various threads about specific amps.

Maybe it sounds like I'm preaching and maybe I need to take a look at that but trust me, I'm not. I only talk of my own experience. If that's not good enough for you then I suggest you block me. I'll still sleep.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #22,710 of 46,527

That's a fair point mate although back when I had them I actually did do a small review where I praised them. They were the best headphones I'd ever heard at that point. And yes, to call them junk is overstating things but I can only compare what I've personally heard and that's the yardstick I have to use. People call Beats junk but I'm guessing they're better than the original Apple earbuds so that makes them junk. It's all relative.

I think that engineers opinion is wrong when we're talking about the HD 650. I heard no evidence of burn-in on any of my other headphones, ever. As I said, he has a vested interest whereas I do not. As far as my ears and my tastes are concerned I most certainly do know better.  Out of the 2000-odd posts I've made on these forums there's not one where I claim to know anything about a product I've never owned or heard with my own ears.

For instance, I was trying to help a guy on the help threads to choose a headphone and it seemed to me that he was just going with whatever I said as though it was gospel so I cautioned him to wait and get some other opinions. Today he updated the thread and indeed did buy the HD 650. Now he's asking what amp to buy and I said the Project Ember sounds great with the 650. Well, you know what's coming next. So again I cautioned him to take some more advice and opinions and directed him to the various threads about specific amps.

Maybe it sounds like I'm preaching and maybe I need to take a look at that but trust me, I'm not. I only talk of my own experience. If that's not good enough for you then I suggest you block me. I'll still sleep.

It really all comes down to personally experience, I personally found this hobby a bit of a journey gaining experience, people will end up taking different paths and coming to different conclusions over time based on their own ears and hearing. I've found I was all over the place in the past personally because I haven't fully grasped what I personally considered high fidelity until I gained more experience. I have finally found exactly what I want in sound and honestly this may change with more experience, but I am finally forming an idea of what makes up my ideal sound.

I have personally experienced burn-in on every large headphone I've owned to at least some degree, it may be pad break-in and/or ears adjusting to the sound on most of them but there was one clear case of driver break-in(drastic change in bass distortion on the K612). The K612, K712, HD 555, and HD 600 being the most drastic changes to my ears. The HD 650 seems to be moderate in terms of burn-in for me personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back