Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #20,958 of 46,564
Sorry, I'm still a bit new to the audiophile world in terms of describing the sonic experience, but I'll try. The HD650's feel much more open than any of the other cans I have.

- Vs Mr. Speakers (Alpha Dog & Mad Dog Pro) The HD650's feel more rich vs the planars I have if that makes any sense. The mids & mid bass are more pronounced vs the Alpha's or MDP's, and it feels more enveloping to me. I still love the sound signature of both of the planars, but to be honest, I may end up selling the Alpha's, since I'm enjoying the HD650's a bit more for classical. The MDP's will most likely stay for a while, since I really love their sound. 

- Vs the B&W P7's, they sound the most similar to the HD650's in the fact that they are both dynamics, but the P7's have more bass... much more bass. The HD650 is flatter, while still being warm and slightly bass-y, where as the B&W P7's (and the C5 iem's) are super v-shaped. I really love the P7's for what they are. If I had to pick just two, I'd probably pick the P7's and HD650's because they are so different, yet good at what they do. 

I'm still eagerly awaiting the K10's, but that won't be for another month or more. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #20,959 of 46,564

Good tip 
wink.gif

I like to think outside the box, wherever possible.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #20,960 of 46,564
Dec 12, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #20,961 of 46,564
I actually like my la figaro when it was and is working unforunately i've never had a 100% working one, but company seems to have hired people for international customer service and is helping me greatly so I might be able to get a 100% working unit within a few months.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #20,962 of 46,564
I actually like my la figaro when it was and is working unforunately i've never had a 100% working one, but company seems to have hired people for international customer service and is helping me greatly so I might be able to get a 100% working unit within a few months.

A few months?? And that's a good thing?

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #20,963 of 46,564
  So guys, I need help I'm not sure what to do at this point. I honestly feel like an idiot, I purchased a Schiit Asgard 2. What a beautiful piece of machinery. For the $250 I feel satisfied with the money spent, it's elegant, straightforward and does exactly what I expected it too, drive my HD650's. Here is the problem, when driving to listening levels, I honestly cannot tell the difference between it and my previous USB powered AMP/DAC.

Sound Blaster X-Fi HD
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-HD.aspx

No, I'm not kidding. There may be the slightest, and I mean hardly discernible change in warmth which isn't neccesarily bad, but I'm talking if someone said you need to find a difference in these two sounds or I'm going to kill you. Yeah...

I'm still using the X-Fi as my DAC, so obviously I'm not expecting a total sound signature change but this now begs the question. Why purchase a 250.00 headphone amp with there's virtually no discernable difference from my 49.99 manufacturer refurbished USB AMP/DAC. I'm not knocking the Schiit Asgard 2, it's a beautiful piece of machinery but I can't help that feel I dropped the money and now feel like I basically wasted it.

I'm kind of regretting not just buying the Maverick D1 Plus with upgraded amps/tubes. Sigh, this sucks.

Well, I'm returning the Asgard 2. Went with the JDS Labs O2+ODAC. Hopefully this will go much better.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #20,964 of 46,564
well it's not like there are 50 different transparent sounds. so as long as the amp has ok impedance, the proper driving power for the headphone and a flat frequency response, chances are it will sound like any other amp nowadays. it's not a defect, it's actually a proof of quality. I'm always wary of amps that sound really different, because obviously they are failing at something to sound so different.
some people buy colored amps on purpose(more distortions or simply not a flat frequency response), and others just dream in their head that their latest amp is different when it's really not(beware the amazing power of placebo!). but if all you want is ok neutral sound for the hd650, then you certainly don't need a fortune.
now 250$ cannot be considered a fortune for audio amp ^_^. it's in fact still pretty cheap.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #20,965 of 46,564
  well it's not like there are 50 different transparent sounds. so as long as the amp has ok impedance, the proper driving power for the headphone and a flat frequency response, chances are it will sound like any other amp nowadays. it's not a defect, it's actually a proof of quality. I'm always wary of amps that sound really different, because obviously they are failing at something to sound so different.
some people buy colored amps on purpose(more distortions or simply not a flat frequency response), and others just dream in their head that their latest amp is different when it's really not(beware the amazing power of placebo!). but if all you want is ok neutral sound for the hd650, then you certainly don't need a fortune.
now 250$ cannot be considered a fortune for audio amp ^_^. it's in fact still pretty cheap.

+1

Get the transparent amp first and then buy headphones which are coloured to your taste. Simples.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #20,966 of 46,564

OT, but I wonder in what areas you find the Rotel superior to the Marantz.

For the record, neither integrated amp comes even close to the sound of my O2.

Really? Not to challenge you in any way, but given that both integrateds take their HP output from the speaker outs, and therefore the sound  going to the headphones is the sound of the amps themselves, it would seem that either there is a serious deficiency in the design of the amps (which I doubt, as I owned the PM6004) or else someone has sprinkled pixie dust on your 02.  

Note that I'm basing this comment on the 300 ohm HD650, which should be immune to any impedance factors.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #20,967 of 46,564
With the release of Magni 2/Modi 2 stack, and the uber counterparts, I wonder if the O2 stack is going to get de-throned as the "go-to beginner's set-up" ?

If anyone is considering getting this m2/m2 stack or even the uber ones with the HD650's, please feel free to report your findings here!

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #20,968 of 46,564
Really? Not to challenge you in any way, but given that both integrateds take their HP output from the speaker outs, and therefore the sound  going to the headphones is the sound of the amps themselves, it would seem that either there is a serious deficiency in the design of the amps (which I doubt, as I owned the PM6004) or else someone has sprinkled pixie dust on your 02.  

Note that I'm basing this comment on the 300 ohm HD650, which should be immune to any impedance factors.

I'm surprised by the Rotel amp. It's odd, I had tried some other integrated Amos and the sound was a bit congested. Who knows perhaps it was some psychoacoustic factor.

From my understanding, the C5D is supposed to be quite close to the performance of the O2, and it drives the 650 no problem. But I've also been doing a fair but if listening from the Rotel and it is very enjoyable.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #20,969 of 46,564
This may not be a fashionable view, but I think the xonar stx makes for a very decent 'beginner's set up'. It will more than adequately drive the HD650 transparently, and has the flexibility of outputs, and software features. Some will also appreciate the less clutter of having the equipment tucked inside their PC.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #20,970 of 46,564

What can I say other than that my O2 is better in all departments. My friend hears it and, tellingly, so does my distinctly non-audiophile wife. Perhaps it's down to noise in the integrated? I have no idea. Nor do I care much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back