Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #20,926 of 46,527
I have the Fiio e18 and although I dont have extensive amp experience I find these sound great using Flac music from my Note 3 connected by usb to the e18 through to the HD 650's. Clarity is superb with plenty of quality bass, lush mids and detailed highs. The soundstage and 3d placement of instruments is great with this set up. Well worth considering imo. I've been very happy with the capabilities of this amp through a number of different cans.

I have exactly the same set-up here if I want and you're right, the E18 drives the HD 650 very well. It doesn't do subtlety though, in my opinion. With folk or jazz, anything more restrained, it's a tad too strident. Still great as a portable solution but even then, it's eclipsed by my Sansa Clip+ & my PX100II's.

I don't know if I'm unique but I have a completely different set of tunes on my walkabout device than I'd normally listen to at home.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #20,927 of 46,527
I have exactly the same set-up here if I want and you're right, the E18 drives the HD 650 very well. It doesn't do subtlety though, in my opinion. With folk or jazz, anything more restrained, it's a tad too strident. Still great as a portable solution but even then, it's eclipsed by my Sansa Clip+ & my PX100II's.

I don't know if I'm unique but I have a completely different set of tunes on my walkabout device than I'd normally listen to at home.

Not a big folk or jazz fan to be honest, mainly rock, metal, hip hop etc. But I have a flac version of rumours and get what I'd describe as bucket loads of subtlety with tracks like oh daddy. Anyway, like I said, I'm not massively experienced amp wise andcam looking for a suitable desktop solution. But the fiio e18 is a great portable imo.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #20,929 of 46,527
Not a big folk or jazz fan to be honest, mainly rock, metal, hip hop etc. But I have a flac version of rumours and get what I'd describe as bucket loads of subtlety with tracks like oh daddy. Anyway, like I said, I'm not massively experienced amp wise andcam looking for a suitable desktop solution. But the fiio e18 is a great portable imo.

I came from the same direction as you using a portable amp first but for me there was something missing. The O2 (with ODAC) squared that particular circle for me. Other options are out there.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #20,930 of 46,527
So guys, I need help I'm not sure what to do at this point. I honestly feel like an idiot, I purchased a Schiit Asgard 2. What a beautiful piece of machinery. For the $250 I feel satisfied with the money spent, it's elegant, straightforward and does exactly what I expected it too, drive my HD650's. Here is the problem, when driving to listening levels, I honestly cannot tell the difference between it and my previous USB powered AMP/DAC.

Sound Blaster X-Fi HD
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-HD.aspx

No, I'm not kidding. There may be the slightest, and I mean hardly discernible change in warmth which isn't neccesarily bad, but I'm talking if someone said you need to find a difference in these two sounds or I'm going to kill you. Yeah...

I'm still using the X-Fi as my DAC, so obviously I'm not expecting a total sound signature change but this now begs the question. Why purchase a 250.00 headphone amp with there's virtually no discernable difference from my 49.99 manufacturer refurbished USB AMP/DAC. I'm not knocking the Schiit Asgard 2, it's a beautiful piece of machinery but I can't help that feel I dropped the money and now feel like I basically wasted it.

I'm kind of regretting not just buying the Maverick D1 Plus with upgraded amps/tubes. Sigh, this sucks.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #20,931 of 46,527
So guys, I need help I'm not sure what to do at this point. I honestly feel like an idiot, I purchased a Schiit Asgard 2. What a beautiful piece of machinery. For the $250 I feel satisfied with the money spent, it's elegant, straightforward and does exactly what I expected it too, drive my HD650's. Here is the problem, when driving to listening levels, I honestly cannot tell the difference between it and my previous USB powered AMP/DAC.

Sound Blaster X-Fi HD

No, I'm not kidding. There may be the slightest, and I mean hardly discernible change in warmth which isn't neccesarily bad, but I'm talking if someone said you need to find a difference in these two sounds or I'm going to kill you. Yeah...

When I got my HD650s I thought something was lacking. I had no dedicated headphone amps, just studio sound cards and a Rotel amplifier.

I got a JDSLabs C5D, and while awesome, I realize the C5 portion of the amp is only as good as what is fed to it. If I amplify my iPod line out, it's sounds like the line out but louder.. The DAC however, was the best upgrade.

Also, even my iPod 80gb and iPhone 6 can drive my Hd650, just not with the same authority as my amps. But it works okay for some music.

I think my listening has changed a bit too though. My HD650 out of the integrated headphone amp on the Rotel might be my favourite. Even fed through a so-so dac.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #20,932 of 46,527
When I got my HD650s I thought something was lacking. I had no dedicated headphone amps, just studio sound cards and a Rotel amplifier.

I got a JDSLabs C5D, and while awesome, I realize the C5 portion of the amp is only as good as what is fed to it. If I amplify my iPod line out, it's sounds like the line out but louder.. The DAC however, was the best upgrade.

Also, even my iPod 80gb and iPhone 6 can drive my Hd650, just not with the same authority as my amps. But it works okay for some music.

I think my listening has changed a bit too though. My HD650 out of the integrated headphone amp on the Rotel might be my favourite. Even fed through a so-so dac.

I think the only thing most people want out of a amp is control and gain, control to power any headphone to its fullest potential and gain which adds ZERO colour between source and headphone

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #20,933 of 46,527
"If you don't hear a positive difference from the amp, that's ok, return it and have more brass in pocket." - Billheiser 

Sound Blaster X-Fi HD

I'm still using the X-Fi as my DAC, so obviously I'm not expecting a total sound signature change but this now begs the question. Why purchase a 250.00 headphone amp with there's virtually no discernable difference from my 49.99 manufacturer refurbished USB AMP/DAC. I'm not knocking the Schiit Asgard 2, it's a beautiful piece of machinery but I can't help that feel I dropped the money and now feel like I basically wasted it.

I'm kind of regretting not just buying the Maverick D1 Plus with upgraded amps/tubes. Sigh, this sucks.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #20,934 of 46,527

At the risk if angering the objectivists on Head-Fi, I will tell you that if your experience of listening to the HD-650s is from an iPod headphone amp, or an integrated amp, you don't really know how good your headphones can sound.

In my opinion, your mileage may vary, what do I know... the HD-650s really do need the right amp to shine. I discovered this at the last Head-Fi meet I attended, where I had the chance to a try a bunch of different amps (and headphones). It was ear-opening for me and, ultimately, led me to an OTL, tube-based amp to drive my 650s.

You really do have one of the best set of cans in the world... now, time to search for a complimentary amp 
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #20,936 of 46,527
At the risk if angering the objectivists on Head-Fi, I will tell you that if your experience of listening to the HD-650s is from an iPod headphone amp, or an integrated amp, you don't really know how good your headphones can sound.

In my opinion, your mileage may vary, what do I know... the HD-650s really do need the right amp to shine. I discovered this at the last Head-Fi meet I attended, where I had the chance to a try a bunch of different amps (and headphones). It was ear-opening for me and, ultimately, led me to an OTL, tube-based amp to drive my 650s.

You really do have one of the best set of cans in the world... now, time to search for a complimentary amp :wink:

Oh for sure its on my list. ive had the opportunity to listen to the 650s out of a crack and mainline. Definitely sounded good. I would need to live with something for a while to become familiar. for the 650 I really only listen via the c5d or a Rotel RA-01. I've listened to other integrated amps and wasn't impressed but really like the sound out of my ra-01.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #20,937 of 46,527
I used to own the Rotel RA-01 (in fact it's still in the cupboard of dead electricals) and it did have a good headphone ouput. It was certainly better than my current Marantz PM6004.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #20,939 of 46,527
  OT, but I wonder in what areas you find the Rotel superior to the Marantz.

Every area to be honest. The Rotel had a much more organic sound to my mind. I must stress though that I'vre never heard the two amps back to back and my opinion of the Rotel is based on my memory which is not the most reliable if I'm honest. For the record, neither integrated amp comes even close to the sound of my O2.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #20,940 of 46,527
  has anyone ever ordered new drivers for their HD650 ?? I broke one of mine and I was wondering if there were any problems or sound differential.  

Yeah, there are forum posts from people who've replaced the drivers... it looks pretty easy. I also think it's relatively cheap to buy a pair of new drivers... just give Sennheiser a call and you can order them directly. You can also search online for them, but I'd just buy them directly... it's usually the cheapest/most reliable method. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back