Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #20,897 of 46,499
Ditto, save your money if you don't hear any positive sound quality gains. I would be shocked if any capable amplifier didn't offer some sonic improvement as compared with say the amplifier in a smart phone, but that doesn't mean everybody will notice it or even care so trust your ears.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #20,899 of 46,499
Are there any reasonably priced portable amps that can drive these?  I travel for business a lot and already know I will want to bring these along for more extended periods.  Obviously putting tub amps in my carry ain't exactly an option Haha

I am currently looking at FiiO E12 Mont Blanc...from doing a quick search within this thread it seems to work well and it is only $129.  I didn't see any objections to it unlike E11 or some other FiiO offerings.  Any other suggestions?

As far as desktop amps, Massdrop currently has DarkVoice 336SE OTL Headphone Amp for $219 (if enough people commit).  So thinking about that one.  I know Bottlehead Crack seems to be a popular suggestion for these, but I absolutely and utterly suck at electronics.  I would probably burn down my house with a solder.

Still very much researching...

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #20,901 of 46,499
Are there any reasonably priced portable amps that can drive these?  I travel for business a lot and already know I will want to bring these along for more extended periods. 

For portable JDSLabs C5D. Clean and accurate, with hardware selectable bass boost.

It's a DAC too - measurably transparent.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #20,903 of 46,499
I got a really pleasant surprise when I plugged my HD650's into my ancient Yamaha DVD-S2300 (combo DVD-A and SACD player) headphone input. This beast has a very nice headphone amp! A little bit forward but very dynamic and detailed. Hi-Res discs sound terrific. My HE500's didn't sound near as nice as the 650's did on the S2300.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #20,905 of 46,499
  Are there any reasonably priced portable amps that can drive these?  I travel for business a lot and already know I will want to bring these along for more extended periods.  Obviously putting tub amps in my carry ain't exactly an option Haha

I am currently looking at FiiO E12 Mont Blanc...from doing a quick search within this thread it seems to work well and it is only $129.  I didn't see any objections to it unlike E11 or some other FiiO offerings.  Any other suggestions?

As far as desktop amps, Massdrop currently has DarkVoice 336SE OTL Headphone Amp for $219 (if enough people commit).  So thinking about that one.  I know Bottlehead Crack seems to be a popular suggestion for these, but I absolutely and utterly suck at electronics.  I would probably burn down my house with a solder.

Still very much researching...

For travel, I use a FiiO E11K with my 650s and it sounds great (best $59.00 US you will ever spend on head-fi). At high gain and high volume, it will knock the fillings out of your mouth (plenty of grunt).

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #20,907 of 46,499

I think you misunderstood.  You don't need a dedicated amp, you need a really expensive amp to hear a difference.
smile_phones.gif

Funniest post I've read in some time... 
L3000.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #20,908 of 46,499

Look up ifi idsd nano!

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #20,910 of 46,499

For travel, I use a FiiO E11K with my 650s and it sounds great (best $59.00 US you will ever spend on head-fi). At high gain and high volume, it will knock the fillings out of your mouth (plenty of grunt).

Check out the Schiit Fulla, it's just been released so not many reviews yet though.

Look up ifi idsd nano!

Thanks guys!  I will look into all of these as well.  Such question probably gets asked to death, so apologies...but reading and searching through 1,395 pages of comments is
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back