Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #20,761 of 46,523
  Welp, the female vocals are never gonna happen, but a needledrop of ZZ Top's Tejas was the first thing I tried. I mostly dabble in classic rock and stoner rock/metal but I haven't heard anything that caught my ear outside of needledrop of Dire Straits Brothers in Arms (but that song kind of sounds amazing on everything, lol).

Some would say that the HD650's needed around a week of break in before they sound amazing, whilst others say that it's the person whom needs to get used to the sound signature.

You're not the first to say that it's underwhelming at first, but it'll be the last thing you'll say when you get used to them. Those whom have, rarely say negative things about the HD650's

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #20,762 of 46,523
  How long does the break-in period need to be on the 650 before things get amazing? I have maybe 20 hours on them now and the only word I can describe them with is underwhelming.

I've been using the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x and ATH-A900X for most of the last 2 years (the last year with Modi/Magni Schiit stack) and really loved them, but hanging out on this forum, it's hard to ignore the constant praise for the 600/650 year after year. I saw a good BF deal and grabbed the 650 (after hearing it had more bass/slightly more relaxed than the 600). It has the sound signature I was looking for. I had been using EQ via foobar for the Audio Technicas to get the sound I wanted and the Senns hit that sound with all bands zeroed, which was nice. I'm really let down because I just don't hear any real improvement for the cost difference (literally 4x the cost of the A900X). The soundstage is really small compared to other open cans I've had (especially the q701 and AD900X) and I feel I'm losing a slight bit of bass impact from the A900Xs.

My first guess is that the Magni is not giving them what they need, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable going over $300 just for a desktop amp that may only give me 4-5% improvement over the Magni. On top of all this, they are also a step down in comfort from the Audio Technicas. Despite stretching the headband, I can't seem to get them comfortable and it always feels like the plastic is pushing against my head through the earpads. I'm pretty sure I'm the problem here as a 1400 page thread can't be wrong. Any suggestions outside of $$$ amps or do I simply need to put more hours on them? Was I a dumbass for expecting an instantly noticeable jump in quality from the lower tier AT's?

The audio technicas you mention are well regarded, especially the AD900X. You will feel more bass impact from the A900X as they are closed - more air pressure and hence the greater sense of impact.
For people who like the wing design of the ATs, there are very few headphones that will match them comfort-wise. At first, a new HD650 will have that clamp and will seem 'claustrophobic' compared to them (despite having them stretched out). That was my experience, but give it time to loosen up, including the pads as others have mentioned, that may change. You may also get accustomed to the sound which will be very different to the ATs.

If at the end of this you still don't like the headphones, my guess is a new amp will not help... perhaps a new headphone.

For me their darker and less fatiguing sound definitely grew on me, and provide a nice contrast to the ATs. The senn's charm is their understatement, not fireworks. YMMV

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #20,763 of 46,523
After a long time lurking and reading reviews I settled on the Sennheiser HD650 which will be arriving today and now just waiting on my Schitt Valhalla 2 to round out the new music station.  Very excited to hear the combo and how the HD650s will do with the Magni and Aune T1 I currently own.

This thread has been great to read and can't wait to add my own impressions!

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #20,764 of 46,523
  After a long time lurking and reading reviews I settled on the Sennheiser HD650 which will be arriving today and now just waiting on my Schitt Valhalla 2 to round out the new music station.  Very excited to hear the combo and how the HD650s will do with the Magni and Aune T1 I currently own.

This thread has been great to read and can't wait to add my own impressions!

Hey congrats on that purchase. You will be in for a very high level of musical enjoyment for years to come. I spend that past few months listening to the 650 and Val 2 and found the combo to be exceptional in every way. The neutrality of the Val 2 complements the 650's touch of darkness almost perfectly making an exquisite pairing. The Val 2 offers some very nice stock tubes IMO and I didn't find any tubes that offered a marked improvement over stock. Plus the Val 2 did a great job with the he400i and pm-2 with high gain engaged.

Ultimately I ended up sticking with the Crack though for the 650. The Crack's presentation is geared more towards full on tube, where the Val 2 is clean and neutral. I could see where some would prefer the Val 2 though. Both are just fantastic with the 650.

Enjoy!!

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #20,765 of 46,523
Thanks I am really excited to try this out and continue to improve my audio setup, only danger is that I will end up spending all my money on audio equipment but I guess there are worse addictions to have haha.

I have always thought the Crack looked cool but never really did any reading on it, I am going to hold out for the Valhalla but I have the fear that this new setup will make the bug continue to grow instead of taming it as I originally hoped.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #20,767 of 46,523
  Very pretty amp congrats

Damn, stunning setup! Woo audio makes such proffesionall looking stuff :)

Thanks! I was up almost all night "burning it in...
wink.gif
 "

I'll say one thing about this amp, compared to my previous solid state: the Woo is completely un-fatiguing.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #20,768 of 46,523

Some would say that the HD650's needed around a week of break in before they sound amazing, whilst others say that it's the person whom needs to get used to the sound signature.

You're not the first to say that it's underwhelming at first, but it'll be the last thing you'll say when you get used to them. Those whom have, rarely say negative things about the HD650's

+1 ... I am one of The Others.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #20,770 of 46,523

Very true.  If you are used to phones with a hyped treble, the 650's could sound a little dull at first but the lack of pain really becomes addicting.

You must be referring to my Grado RS2i 'phones... oh, did I say that out loud? 
eek.gif

That said, I heard a pair of Grado GS1000e at a meet and they are slated as my next set of cans - I was really blown away listening to these with a solid state amp.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #20,771 of 46,523

Thanks! I was up almost all night "burning it in...
wink.gif
 "

I'll say one thing about this amp, compared to my previous solid state: the Woo is completely un-fatiguing.

Ah, I love these headphones out of both tubes or SS tho, but I have to admit my balanced LD tube amp does sound a bit better than my SS!

The 650 seems to go well with tubes! :)

How does it sound tho? Neutral, open sounding or warm, bloomy kinda sound?

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #20,772 of 46,523
  Ah, I love these headphones out of both tubes or SS tho, but I have to admit my balanced LD tube amp does sound a bit better than my SS!

The 650 seems to go well with tubes! :)

How does it sound tho? Neutral, open sounding or warm, bloomy kinda sound?

I will need some time with the new Woo before I can really comment on that. It's not at all bloomy or syrupy, though. I will post when I feel comfortable being able to describe the sound.

As I mentioned earlier, however, when compared with my NuForce Icon HDP + Linear PS, there was a noticeable drop in the fatigue factor - big time. I listened to a wide variety of music for about 6 hours straight, with a higher volume than I normally listen with and, no kidding, I never felt like turning it down to taking off the 'phones.

My girlfriend finally wandered over to my desk at 2:30am wondering what I was doing, which is when I called it a night
blink.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #20,773 of 46,523

I will need some time with the new Woo before I can really comment on that. It's not at all bloomy or syrupy, though. I will post when I feel comfortable being able to describe the sound.

As I mentioned earlier, however, when compared with my NuForce Icon HDP + Linear PS, there was a noticeable drop in the fatigue factor - big time. I listened to a wide variety of music for about 6 hours straight, with a higher volume than I normally listen with and, no kidding, I never felt like turning it down to taking off the 'phones.

My girlfriend finally wandered over to my desk at 2:30am wondering what I was doing, which is when I called it a night
blink.gif

Haha sounds nice :)

I noticed tho that the sound can change dramatically with just a tube change. My awp went from a pretty dark, congested sound into a wide open sounding amp :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #20,774 of 46,523
  Haha sounds nice :)

I noticed tho that the sound can change dramatically with just a tube change. My awp went from a pretty dark, congested sound into a wide open sounding amp :)

I've read that... My plan is to enjoy the stock tubes for a while and then, when I win the lottery, buy the upgrade tube set from Woo and go from there.

I can't believe how much I've been spending on Head-Fi and my 2-channel system and I've got to cool it for a while... my daughter needs braces for her teeth 
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #20,775 of 46,523
This is my first post and Hello! 

I just got my hands on a new HD650. Coming from DT770s, DR990 pro, M50, Momentuom On Ears, and HD280, I have to say the HD650s are very easy to listen to. They are crisp with a great soundstage. I have started burning them in, so I cannot wait for them to open up. I feel they are close to the DT990pros, but more refined. I'm driving them off an Asgard2. Source currently is an X5 using line out. I have a iTx on the way as well.

I was surprised how soft the padding on the HD650s are, but was very surprised how heavy the clamping force is. I found myself shifting the cans on my head to distribute the pressure points. In comparison, I thought my Beyers are very light and a bit more comfortable at the moment. 

From what I have been reading, looks like a tube amp is next on the list. I hope the clamping force wears down soon. Everything else with the HD650s is amazing. Glad I jumped on these headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back