Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #19,216 of 46,554
Androb, don't take the bait, arguing with the group that thinks all amps sound the same, except for coloration/distortion is akin to pissing in the wind. Just enjoy your system, build it with what you love/like and pity the hard core objectivists, they live in a world with no color or beauty :wink:.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #19,217 of 46,554
Androb, don't take the bait, arguing with the group that thinks all amps sound the same, except for coloration/distortion is akin to pissing in the wind. 

In all fairness, arguing with an opposite crowd is even worse. So it has to stop and go where it belongs (Sound Science).

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #19,218 of 46,554
Androb, don't take the bait, arguing with the group that thinks all amps sound the same, except for coloration/distortion is akin to pissing in the wind. Just enjoy your system, build it with what you love/like and pity the hard core objectivists, they live in a world with no color or beauty :wink:.

I strongly believe that we all say the same thing. the only difference is that some work with a reference system based on taste to express the characteristics of a product, and others work with a reference system based on how close the output system is to the original input(high fidelity).

if you only care about enjoying the sound without looking at measurements, then you'll purposely try stuff known to sound different to find out what you favor and broaden your experience. on the other hand, if you're looking for high fidelity amp, then you will do the opposite and run away from anything that is known to be "colored" thinking it's a badly done amp. so you'll never actually purposely buy an amp that doesn't sound transparent and in effect all your amps will pretty much sound the same.
that's very simple yet we seem to have to fight a never ending war over this.
I don't think one has to be right and "win the internet", it's a free choice. some need a transparent sound(professionals), some just want to have the sound to be just like the pros(because they want to be one, or think that pro is "better", or just happen to be used to that sound), some just want to have something they like(and don't care how it's called as long as it's fun). all of us being in our right.
but technically, an amp that is colored will not have a flat frequency response and/or will have high level distortion(pleasant or not). me being in love with one of those distorted amp doesn't make the hard core objectivists of your quote to be wrong in what you make them say.

anyway, given how colored and bass distorted the HD650 already is, I would say that all of us in here do favor colored sound with or without a colored amp ^_^.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #19,220 of 46,554
  <snip, snip>

anyway, given how colored and bass distorted the HD650 already is, I would say that all of us in here do favor colored sound with or without a colored amp ^_^.

100% ... while I am on vacation, I am really enjoying my FiiO E11K, fed by an iPod 5.5 or a DragonFly, w/ the HD-650s.  Nothing in that playback chain is neutral sounding and I really don't care.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #19,221 of 46,554
  How does it perform with spacious music like classical, post-rock, ambient and shoegaze?

IMO / YMMV / etc... I switch back to Grado RS2i for classical strings (e.g. quartets, solo) fast metal (e.g. Pantera) and clean ambient (e.g. Steve Roach).

For me, the 650s are unbeatable with large scale orchestral works (e.g. RCA Living Stereo discs that feature a full orchestra), lush vocals (think: Nora Jones or Betty Carter), modern synth-pop (e.g. Lorde) or classic / guitar rock (e.g. Cream or the latest Lana Del Rey).

I fell in love with my HD-650s listening to Cream "White Room" and hearing those drums like I've never heard them before.

I know I could Google, but what on earth is shoegaze?

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #19,222 of 46,554

IMO / YMMV / etc... I switch back to Grado RS2i for classical strings (e.g. quartets, solo) fast metal (e.g. Pantera) and clean ambient (e.g. Steve Roach).

For me, the 650s are unbeatable with large scale orchestral works (e.g. RCA Living Stereo discs that feature a full orchestra), lush vocals (think: Nora Jones or Betty Carter), modern synth-pop (e.g. Lorde) or classic / guitar rock (e.g. Cream or the latest Lana Del Rey).

I fell in love with my HD-650s listening to Cream "White Room" and hearing those drums like I've never heard them before.

I know I could Google, but what on earth is shoegaze?

Good to hear. Noob question, but do you need to amp to achieve that soundstage or are they good as they are.

Shoegaze is blissful, somewhat ethereal pop songs with a lot of guitar distortion and other effects way up in the mix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46XU6PGvIP4
You're welcome to tell if HD650 can contain this song well or not

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #19,223 of 46,554
  Good to hear. Noob question, but do you need to amp to achieve that soundstage or are they good as they are.

Shoegaze is blissful, somewhat ethereal pop songs with a lot of guitar distortion and other effects way up in the mix.

Almost everyone here will tell you that the HD-650 requires an external amp from most sources.  I would be one of those people...

While I don't have one, many people on this thread would recommend the O2 (JDS Labs) as all the amp you need.  YMMV...

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #19,224 of 46,554

Almost everyone here will tell you that the HD-650 requires an external amp from most sources.  I would be one of those people...

While I don't have one, many people on this thread would recommend the O2 (JDS Labs) as all the amp you need.  YMMV...

I play games and watch movies with the HD650 plugged in my laptop headphone out. I enjoy the badly driven sound an bloated bass a lot. but I certainly wouldn't say it's "good", and prefer to go back to the O2 when listening to most music.
Saesang, as a rule of thumb, you can say that if a headphone isn't in the "portable" category, it is then built to work with a competent amp. it's not a 100% true statement, but it's a good start to narrow down your needs.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #19,225 of 46,554

Ah haha true

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #19,226 of 46,554

I play games and watch movies with the HD650 plugged in my laptop headphone out. I enjoy the badly driven sound an bloated bass a lot. but I certainly wouldn't say it's "good", and prefer to go back to the O2 when listening to most music.
Saesang, as a rule of thumb, you can say that if a headphone isn't in the "portable" category, it is then built to work with a competent amp. it's not a 100% true statement, but it's a good start to narrow down your needs.

Sorry for going a bit OT, but will any amp do the trick? My interface (Focusrite Scarlet 2i2) has an integrated dac/amp.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #19,227 of 46,554
  Sorry for going a bit OT, but will any amp do the trick? My interface (Focusrite Scarlet 2i2) has an integrated dac/amp.

I have the Focusrite 2i2 it does not get the HD650s very loud  I've tried it through headphone port and balanced connectors on the back.  Unless it's compressed pop music it can get too quiet.

It sounds good but it just won't get to those high volume levels you might need.  For old recordings you'll need it cranked up all the way.

And make sure the direct monitor is off, it makes it louder for some reason.

That's pretty much the only reason to get an amp, it gets it louder.  But volume matched I can't tell the Focusrite apart from the Magni.

It's usually fine as long as you just started listening, then after your ears adjust to the volume you have to crank it up to the point where you can't turn it up anymore.  With Magni I have plenty of room to go up, but it should be fine as long as you take some small breaks inbetween so your ears don't adjust to the volume so quickly.  So maybe not ideal for if you are a headphone mixer, but should do fine for tracking.

I'd use it maybe as a DAC with TS to RCA connectors and connect it to a Magni.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #19,228 of 46,554
O2 is the ultimate amp for the 650. It adds bass, treble, mids, space & soundstage. YMMV.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #19,229 of 46,554

I can't imagine it will sound awesome, but it will probably be a bit better. I have one at home, I'll post some impressions when I get a chance later.

Edit: seems that TsukiNick has already posted his.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #19,230 of 46,554
O2 is the ultimate amp for the 650. It adds bass, treble, mids, space & soundstage. YMMV.

No the Magni is it adds Bass Mids And Treble and expands the soundstage to make it feel like you are in a concert hall inside another concert hall for cheaper than the O2 YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back