Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #18,631 of 46,554
I am so curious what do you connect your amp with the headphone out? I have the CD6004 but they have the rca out connected to my lyr. Please correct me if I am wrong but in this case you may amplify the noise from the cdp.
I go RCA in, with the other end having a 1/8 inch male plug, but preferably 1/4 inch.....I use a plug adapter, going from 1/8 to 1/4 inch, and that goes into the headphone output jack on the front of the marantz cd5004, putting the output from the cd5004, into the little dot mk3, and plug the hd650's into the amp output :D

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #18,632 of 46,554
I agree, too much warmth with tubes/650. I did like my 650s when I had them with the Schiit Valhalla, but they were significantly more enjoyable through my SS Auditor. No matter what anybody says (and few deny it) there is a slight rolling off of treble at the top, and this is problematic to varying degrees depending on the listener. For some, there is no issue, for others, such as myself, even with a very accomplished and neutral solid state amp (Auditor) I just couldn't get past feeling something was missing. I can only imagine that tubes are going to exaggerate this at least somewhat. Again, please understand this is a very subjective thing and some people may just love the 650s on tubes; whatever floats your boat as they say.
I run my hd650's on the little dot mk3 tube amp, and will honestly say, that the hd650 being a headphone that is dark sounding, my tube amp definitely makes the sound way more enjoyable....I have used my hd650 with a solid state amp, and it totally turned me off...when I hooked it up to my tubes, I was seriously blown away! I never thought in my life that my hd650's could ever, in a million years, sound as good as they do now....on top of that, different tubes will bring a different sound to them :) all I can say is, read reviews on different tubes, and you'll be on the path to tube rolling :) and you won't believe the results you will get! I currently use a pair of 6HA5 driver tubes, and currently own over $200 in tubes, and took me, after 6 pairs later, to get incredible sound! :D

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #18,633 of 46,554
  Nothing in hi-end audio is "logical", my friend
biggrin.gif

IMO, a Fiio X5 would not drive an LCD-X to its max potential. It's a planar mag driver. Not a power issue, just that intangible called "musicality". Sounds too clinical and neutral. Loses some warmth that LCD's are superb for. But use solid-state for LCD-X. Should sound better than 650 + tube. Too much warmth pairing 650 with tubes. imo.

So the thing you're saying is that and LCD-X with a solid state amp would be better, but will an e12 be all I need or do I need a desktop amp?

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #18,634 of 46,554
Just ordered some HD650s minutes ago to replace my very old and broken HD555s. The headband on the 555s broke years ago. I super glued it and used two tie straps to hold it together (ugly job) and now the other side has a crack and looks like it's going to break soon. I'm hoping the 650 is an upgrade over the 555. I play only cds from an Onkyo 7030 cd player hooked to a Vali amp. The Vali really makes the 555 sound better than they ever sounded before. I can't wait to hear if the dollars spent is worth it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #18,635 of 46,554

I agree, too much warmth with tubes/650. I did like my 650s when I had them with the Schiit Valhalla, but they were significantly more enjoyable through my SS Auditor. No matter what anybody says (and few deny it) there is a slight rolling off of treble at the top, and this is problematic to varying degrees depending on the listener. For some, there is no issue, for others, such as myself, even with a very accomplished and neutral solid state amp (Auditor) I just couldn't get past feeling something was missing. I can only imagine that tubes are going to exaggerate this at least somewhat. Again, please understand this is a very subjective thing and some people may just love the 650s on tubes; whatever floats your boat as they say.

I run my hd650's on the little dot mk3 tube amp, and will honestly say, that the hd650 being a headphone that is dark sounding, my tube amp definitely makes the sound way more enjoyable....I have used my hd650 with a solid state amp, and it totally turned me off...when I hooked it up to my tubes, I was seriously blown away! I never thought in my life that my hd650's could ever, in a million years, sound as good as they do now....on top of that, different tubes will bring a different sound to them
smily_headphones1.gif
all I can say is, read reviews on different tubes, and you'll be on the path to tube rolling
smily_headphones1.gif
and you won't believe the results you will get! I currently use a pair of 6HA5 driver tubes, and currently own over $200 in tubes, and took me, after 6 pairs later, to get incredible sound!
biggrin.gif

I agree.

When I had my 650 and switched to a high gain tube in my Mad Ear, they sounded very nice.  They are a very dark headphone, by nature.

I also preferred tubes to solid state

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #18,636 of 46,554
  So the thing you're saying is that and LCD-X with a solid state amp would be better, but will an e12 be all I need or do I need a desktop amp?

Don't know. Haven't heard the e12. It's portable, so that's an advantage, I think.
LCD-2 works very well with S-S. I assume LCD-X would too.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #18,637 of 46,554
On the deck tonight. 650 with.......Bryston BHA-1 balanced!

Tubes can work well with 650....but for pure bass slam, great dynamics, and max transparency with added clarity, it's S-S for me.
Tubes can be a continual drain on the bank acct, with the continual rollin'. imo.

Everyone hears differently....

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #18,638 of 46,554
Patricia Barber sounds fantastic on my 650's.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #18,641 of 46,554

It depends on what you are aiming for. I think it is a no brainer that you can get some really good entry level desktop amps without breaking the bank. I own the E12 and while it is a decent portable amp, it won't get the same control over the drivers that a well designed desktop amp will get. At least that is to my ears. The Schiit Asgard 2 is an amp that comes to mind. When it comes to decent affordable amps I have only tried a few as I tend to skip that range and go into the mid level gear so I only have experience with the Asgard 2 and the Graham Slee Novo which I liked quite a bit as well. I am sure others here will have suggestion for you. Enjoy the LCD X, I intend to try the LCD sound signature someday.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #18,642 of 46,554
Hello everyone. I have just ordered a new HD650, and am now about to purchase an amp and DAC to go with it. I have decided on a Schiit Modi for the DAC, but am still undecided between a Magni or a Vali for the amp. Is there anyone here who has experience of either (or ideally both!) amps with the HD650, and who could give a recommendation? I would ideally purchase a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, but limited funds mean that I won't be able to get my hands on that for a good while yet. Either way, I'm looking forward to discovering how much of an improvement an amped HD650 will be over my current unamped HD590.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #18,645 of 46,554
I had good success with blutak as footers reducing the microphonics to almost imperceptable levels even on my desk next to the keyboard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back