Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #18,601 of 46,564
my hd650's sounded very average, and nothing special. The hd650's have a very spacious soundstage (well to me anyway) because I'm using a very nice tube amp, and I upgraded the tubes, to what others say are one of the best tubes for the little dot mk3 (which I own)
smily_headphones1.gif
and I must tell you. You need a powerful amp. Something that specifies it can handle up to 600 ohms, as the hd650's top out at 475 ohms, when the music strikes a bass note at 40-70 hertz! So get a powerful amp, such as little dot mk3, or even the mk4...those amps don't cost too much, and they'll handle the hd650's like a champ...and then you'll agree.....OMG! FREAKING AUDIO NIRVANA! I know I have!
biggrin.gif

Well, I really can't get a Bottlehead Crack + SB easily to test it out, but the Little dot MK3 or even MK4 wouldn't be an issue at all, although it would "only" be with the stock tubes. I might as well give it a try :)

By the way, how is the DAC important in all this compared to the amp?

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #18,604 of 46,564
I actually didn't think of ask this simple question:

For those who had the chance to compare their HD-650 with other high-end phones such as HD-700/T90... are they able to get the same level (or close) of details properly amped?

The Little dot MK3 is only 215 €, the Crack 220 € shipped, and the Asus Essence ST 170 €. That's probably why it's hard for me to believe there would be the night and day difference I'm seeking, but I am definitely no expert so it is a genuine question.

On a side note, sorry to bother you so much with my questions, but I won't flee tomorrow and will definitely post any impressions with new equipement/other HPs if anyone ever come across seeking that kind of info (HD-650 is rather popular so it wouldn't surprise me if it happens
biggrin.gif
).

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #18,605 of 46,564
i have a T1, dun think the hd650 will ever reach that level of clarity. (ditto hd700/ T90?? )
But with the spc cable, i am happy enough with the hd650 to keep it for good.

====

if i have a choice betw Mk3 or Mk4se...within my budget..i would gun for the Mk4se...
Mk3 is thinner sounding side by side to the Mk4se..
Mk4se is as powerful sounding as a LYR .....but Mk4se is more spacious...n the LYR kinda constipated, lol )

PS: I dun read specs, just going by my ears/tastes 
( For awhile i had the Mk3 together with the Mk4se..sold the Mk3...
then the LYR arrived..sold all finally...fell in love with the DV336se )

edit: listening to my hd650/spc now...some jazz..
the snares are shingling..the bass hits are taut...loads of impact..
the highs are clear without being sibilant.
switching to vocals... intimate n bodacious.
no veil..no sloppy bass..nada
===

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #18,606 of 46,564

Thanks, Lorspeaker.  I just pulled the trigger on this Headphile BlackSilver cable for a pair of Sennheiser HD650s I ordered but have not yet received.  Does anybody have any experience with it who can give me their impressions?

I got one mainly for the shorter length, won auction for $30, haven't A/B'd them but they do seem to be clearer, brighter.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #18,607 of 46,564
  However, they lack so much details in everything. I'm just bummed by all the instruments missing or almost missing after hearing them so distinctly and well separated on my T90, and for the ones I'm hearing, they doesn't sound as good at all.
The voices are another matter, it may be just me leaning towards another signature. They sound smooth/nice/colored on the HD-650 (not sure what term I should use, but you probably know what I'm saying) and I definitely understand how it can be enjoyable, but I would go for the voices of the T90 anytime because it feels like the singer is sitting right next to me with no separation of any kind, a true to life sound I really really like.

I'll be able to check the HD-600 on Wednesday, and already thinking of trying Audeze LCD-2/HE-560. I'd do things in the right order ideally, it's just that I can get both at 600 € instead of their retail price of respectively 900 and 1000 €, which is already a little above my upper limit. 

The term is "veiled". The 650 is one of the most colored, euphonic cans on the market. When I want the truth, I reach for my Grados -- PS500, RS1i, GS1000i. No harsh highs when properly amped (of course, compared to the 650, almost ANYTHING is "bright"). When I want cashmere for my eardrums with softened upper-mids (read "clouded"), I go for my 650.  To each his/her own. I also find that large-scale music fares poorly on 650 -- I like to hear the details in the highs, such as multiple layers of instruments and that choral singer in the back row, to the left.

LCD-2 is a fantastic HP, very natural sound sig, with tight accurate bass.

https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/headphones

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #18,611 of 46,564
  I actually didn't think of ask this simple question:

For those who had the chance to compare their HD-650 with other high-end phones such as HD-700/T90... are they able to get the same level (or close) of details properly amped?

It takes a lot of effort to find an amp that fundamentally changes the relaxed, bass-centric veiled character of the 650 so drastically. I use a silver cable on the 650, and it helped unveil the upper-mids, but still, many details up top remain clouded. I suggest you get a 'phone with lots of details and some warmth, as that sounds like what you really desire. LCD-2 is one example, imo. Perfect tonality and very well balanced, imo. Not dry, not bloated, not veiled. If it's in the track, you will hear it, with no exaggeration on the FR curve.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #18,612 of 46,564
  The term is "veiled". The 650 is one of the most colored, euphonic cans on the market. When I want the truth, I reach for my Grados -- PS500, RS1i, GS1000i. No harsh highs when properly amped (of course, compared to the 650, almost ANYTHING is "bright"). When I want cashmere for my eardrums with softened upper-mids (read "clouded"), I go for my 650.  To each his/her own. I also find that large-scale music fares poorly on 650 -- I like to hear the details in the highs, such as multiple layers of instruments and that choral singer in the back row, to the left.

LCD-2 is a fantastic HP, very natural sound sig, with tight accurate bass.

https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/headphones

Never the less, piano on my 650s sounds like my Steinway and classical instruments sound like real instruments, meaning a bassoon sounds like a bassoon and an oboe sounds like an oboe.  My '04 880s, T1s and (the nasty) 701s can't do that.  I've listened to Grados and I've come away unimpressed with their sonic accuracy. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I hear the 650s as extremely realistic sounding.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #18,613 of 46,564

Never the less, piano on my 650s sounds like my Steinway and classical instruments sound like real instruments, meaning a bassoon sounds like a bassoon and an oboe sounds like an oboe.  My '04 880s, T1s and (the nasty) 701s can't do that.  I've listened to Grados and I've come away unimpressed with their sonic accuracy. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I hear the 650s as extremely realistic sounding.

no worries, different people hear different things. but one thing is noted by many headphoners: Grados are crystal clear, 650 is clouded, even with the most transparent amps. 650 never sounded "real" to me, compared to PS500 and LCD-2, especially with strings and percussion cymbals. that "shine", thump,  and sparkle on cymbals and drum strikes  aren't realistic on the 650. it's not a bad phone, it's just not the first choice for purists who like transparency and honesty in music reproduction. And forget Senn's ads hailing their 600/650 as the choice of recording engineers. that's fantasy.

cheers, holiday here in nirvana, so got some catching up to do with my ps500 and 650:

atsmile.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #18,614 of 46,564
Aug 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #18,615 of 46,564

no worries, different people hear different things. but one thing is noted by many headphoners: Grados are crystal clear, 650 is clouded, even with the most transparent amps. 650 never sounded "real" to me, compared to PS500 and LCD-2, especially with strings and percussion cymbals. that "shine", thump,  and sparkle on cymbals and drum strikes  aren't realistic on the 650. it's not a bad phone, it's just not the first choice for purists who like transparency and honesty in music reproduction. And forget Senn's ads hailing their 600/650 as the choice of recording engineers. that's fantasy.

cheers, holiday here in nirvana, so got some catching up to do with my ps500 and 650:

atsmile.gif

Here is one example I dislike with the HD-650 (Final Fantasy IX - Melodies Of Life ~ The Layers Of Harmony) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IXshx9XidU
The voice does sound nice, more than the harsh one from the T90 (not properly amped), but the instrumental in the background sounds too quiet and clouded. It is louder, clearer and more distinct on the T90 and thus the song feels a lot more balanced to me (especially when the voice is going high) and enjoyable.

It's kind of my issue with the HD-650, it always feel like there is something missing. I'm not sure the Sennheiser can ever become what I want.

I thought about the LCD-2, especially since I can have them for cheap (compared to their retail price), but I'm really worried about their comfort. I can wear my cans a long time and from what I read, their weight is probably going to be an issue. I had also been thinking of the HE-500 with some doubts about the weight, and the Audeze is heavier 
biggrin.gif

I'm also considering HE-560 now since I can also have them for a nice price. Ideally, I would try the HD-650 on a better amp just to be sure, but the offer on both LCD-2 and HE-560 will be expired in 3 days so I have to make a choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back