Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #18,616 of 46,564
I have always found a headphone is either too bright or too dark, but the HD650 hits that sweet spot, although a tiny bit on the warm side. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #18,617 of 46,564
Agreed Fuzz!!!

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #18,618 of 46,564
Comparing my HD558 to HD650, listening to "A Day To Remember - If It Means a Lot to You", when the guitars come in at 3:10 they are so much better on the 650's. Wow. On my 558's, it sounds so congested like the bass starts to take over the whole guitar, cymbals seem to be farther back, not as audible but there. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #18,619 of 46,564
  I have always found a headphone is either too bright or too dark, but the HD650 hits that sweet spot, although a tiny bit on the warm side. 

very true, no such single "perfect" HP. that's why we have multiple HPs.

https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/headphones
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/sennheiser-650
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/audeze-lcd2
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/grado

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #18,620 of 46,564

no worries, different people hear different things. but one thing is noted by many headphoners: Grados are crystal clear, 650 is clouded, even with the most transparent amps. 650 never sounded "real" to me, compared to PS500 and LCD-2, especially with strings and percussion cymbals. that "shine", thump,  and sparkle on cymbals and drum strikes  aren't realistic on the 650. it's not a bad phone, it's just not the first choice for purists who like transparency and honesty in music reproduction. And forget Senn's ads hailing their 600/650 as the choice of recording engineers. that's fantasy.

cheers, holiday here in nirvana, so got some catching up to do with my ps500 and 650:

atsmile.gif

Senn's ads' hailing their HD600/650's as the choice of recording engineers? As much as I like the HD650s I find that rather humorous.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #18,621 of 46,564

I thought about the LCD-2, especially since I can have them for cheap (compared to their retail price), but I'm really worried about their comfort. I can wear my cans a long time and from what I read, their weight is probably going to be an issue.

yes,  I use my LCD-2 as a doorstop between listening sessions....
triportsad.gif

with time, mine loosened up in the headband, so it's not too bad. but I always know I have it on my head....

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #18,622 of 46,564

Senn's ads' hailing their HD600/650's as the choice of recording engineers? As much as I like the HD650s I find that rather humorous.

Every maker wants to sell their 'wares. Not exactly false advertising, but yeah, it is far-fetched.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #18,623 of 46,564

Every maker wants to sell their 'wares. Not exactly false advertising, but yeah, it is far-fetched.

no worries, different people hear different things. but one thing is noted by many headphoners: Grados are crystal clear, 650 is clouded, even with the most transparent amps. 650 never sounded "real" to me, compared to PS500 and LCD-2, especially with strings and percussion cymbals. that "shine", thump,  and sparkle on cymbals and drum strikes  aren't realistic on the 650. it's not a bad phone, it's just not the first choice for purists who like transparency and honesty in music reproduction. And forget Senn's ads hailing their 600/650 as the choice of recording engineers. that's fantasy.

cheers, holiday here in nirvana, so got some catching up to do with my ps500 and 650:

atsmile.gif

Some people actually do use them.. Riot Games (League of Legends company) actually uses 650's. Shouldn't they be using monitors anyways? But to have another reference like a headphone I assume would be nice. 

I've also seen Devin Townsend, a metal vocalist, using them too.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #18,625 of 46,564
If only teo audio made an hd650 cable, then we could all sit around and talk about how "liquid" it sounds 
wink_face.gif
  http://www.teoaudio.com/about.php  And look, they don't even have to use hazmat labeling on the case anymore!  http://www.teoaudio.com/technical.php  As noted by Doc B on the bottlehead general forums, it isn't just expensive, it also has lower conductivity than lead!  

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #18,626 of 46,564
  Is it logical to run and LCD-X through x5 or x5+12? How would it sound compared to an HD650 ran through a fair tube amp and x5?

Nothing in hi-end audio is "logical", my friend
biggrin.gif

IMO, a Fiio X5 would not drive an LCD-X to its max potential. It's a planar mag driver. Not a power issue, just that intangible called "musicality". Sounds too clinical and neutral. Loses some warmth that LCD's are superb for. But use solid-state for LCD-X. Should sound better than 650 + tube. Too much warmth pairing 650 with tubes. imo.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #18,627 of 46,564
  Nothing in hi-end audio is "logical", my friend
biggrin.gif

IMO, a Fiio X5 would not drive an LCD-X to its max potential. It's a planar mag driver. Not a power issue, just that intangible called "musicality". Sounds too clinical and neutral. Loses some warmth that LCD's are superb for. But use solid-state for LCD-X. Should sound better than 650 + tube. Too much warmth pairing 650 with tubes. imo.

I agree, too much warmth with tubes/650. I did like my 650s when I had them with the Schiit Valhalla, but they were significantly more enjoyable through my SS Auditor. No matter what anybody says (and few deny it) there is a slight rolling off of treble at the top, and this is problematic to varying degrees depending on the listener. For some, there is no issue, for others, such as myself, even with a very accomplished and neutral solid state amp (Auditor) I just couldn't get past feeling something was missing. I can only imagine that tubes are going to exaggerate this at least somewhat. Again, please understand this is a very subjective thing and some people may just love the 650s on tubes; whatever floats your boat as they say.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #18,628 of 46,564
Yep, that's the phrase I hear most often about 650 -- "something's missing" [highs, air].  It's why I reach for LCD-2 and Grados with some of my music. As you said, whatever floats your boat. Democracy and choice are alive and well in headphone audio!

Off to listen to music. cheerio.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #18,629 of 46,564
Well guys. Just ordered LCD-2. Let's see what happens.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #18,630 of 46,564
Well guys. Just ordered LCD-2. Let's see what happens.

Congratulations!!!! Now we are all going to expect a detailed review :sunglasses:, seriously, enjoy, I look forward to reading your perspectives on the LCD-2 versus your 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back