Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #18,662 of 46,554
i havent dev the habit of knocking on my tube amps for the tingtingsound :p

one of my russian tubes has this metal crackling sound for a few secs when i fired it up though..hmmm

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #18,664 of 46,554
Some tubes need to warm up longer than others....some need to burn in longer than others.

Putting you tube amp around other electronics can cause your tubes to have microphonics.....buzz....humm....ect.

My wifes cell phone for example, can not be close to my mad ear when a have certain tubes in it.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #18,665 of 46,554
Microphonics is noise/ringing due to physical vibration.  I.e. if you tap the tube with your finger you can hear it through the headphones/speakers.  All tubes do it, some more than others, but personally i never had any issues with it.

Buzz hum and other EMI related noises is another issue, proximity to mains cables, high frequency switching supplies, or mobile phones can all interfere.  Solution is either to house the tubes inside a metal cage, or move it.  Again never had a problem with it myself, though the energy saving light bulb in my desk lamp makes it go zzzzzzzttt if its too close
normal_smile .gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #18,666 of 46,554
So I've got my Audeze LCD-2 and here are the quick thoughts.

It's true - they really are HD650 on steroids - overall signature is very similar, but they sound bigger, everything feels bigger, like 1.5x scale compared to HD650. 

Soundstage is a bit more wide and open. Slightly more treble details, but not at the expense of the listening comfort. And again, they sound BIG without any effort whatsoever - I can crank the volume up and they absolutely deliver without screaming into my eardrums. Mids are very similar to HD650, almost the same - great. Can't tell any difference so far. Bass is not stronger than HD650, but definitely more textured and reaching a bit lower...

I haven't done the direct comparisons yet, so it's just my quick observation after 15 minutes and few familiar tracks. But while an improvement in all ways (except weight), I can't say they're 3x better than HD650. 
redface.gif

I'll probably keep both for now and see what happens after a while.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #18,667 of 46,554

It's true - they really are HD650 on steroids - overall signature is very similar, but they sound bigger, everything feels bigger, like 1.5x scale compared to HD650. 

Soundstage is a bit more wide and open. Slightly more treble details, but not at the expense of the listening comfort. And again, they sound BIG without any effort whatsoever - I can crank the volume up and they absolutely deliver without screaming into my eardrums. Mids are very similar to HD650, almost the same - great. Can't tell any difference so far. Bass is not stronger than HD650, but definitely more textured and reaching a bit lower...

I haven't done the direct comparisons yet, so it's just my quick observation after 15 minutes and few familiar tracks. But while an improvement in all ways (except weight), I can't say they're 3x better than HD650. 
redface.gif

It was the comfort issue with the LCD that has always kept me from trying this from all accounts, fantastic lineup of headphones. I would think that after a little more time adjusting to the LCDs you might start to find some differences. I would be surprised if you didn't. Look forward to your more detailed impressions after you have enough head time with them. Cheers.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #18,668 of 46,554
  It was the comfort issue with the LCD that has always kept me from trying this from all accounts, fantastic lineup of headphones. I would think that after a little more time adjusting to the LCDs you might start to find some differences. I would be surprised if you didn't. Look forward to your more detailed impressions after you have enough head time with them. Cheers.

So far I don't have any issues with comfort / weight. My neck is pretty strong, I guess. Will see after longer sessions. 
wink.gif

I'm really enjoying the cans the more I listen to them. The difference is enough for me to justify their cost.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #18,669 of 46,554

It's true - they really are HD650 on steroids - overall signature is very similar, but they sound bigger, everything feels bigger, like 1.5x scale compared to HD650

redface.gif

Weight-wise too 
biggrin.gif
 Thanks for the feedback!

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #18,670 of 46,554

So far I don't have any issues with comfort / weight. My neck is pretty strong, I guess. Will see after longer sessions. 
wink.gif

I'm really enjoying the cans the more I listen to them. The difference is enough for me to justify their cost.

Not surprising, as good as the HD 650 is, and it is very good, I think it is quite evident that the LCD 2 is a very good headphone as well and with a little more technical aplomb married to what sounds like a great sound signature. I went the HE 560 route, but I was looking at the LCD 2 or perhaps a used LCD 3. Someday I suspect an LCD will be on my rig.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #18,671 of 46,554
I could never be happy with an LCD2 or 3.  They are just too honking heavy!  Comfort is a big deal for me.  I can appreciate the good qualities of almost any headphone but I can't overlook the fact that I am wearing something uncomfortable. 
    That's why I got rid of almost all my dynamics that weren't Senns.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #18,672 of 46,554
  I could never be happy with an LCD2 or 3.  They are just too honking heavy!  Comfort is a big deal for me.  I can appreciate the good qualities of almost any headphone but I can't overlook the fact that I am wearing something uncomfortable. 
    That's why I got rid of almost all my dynamics that weren't Senns.

I hear you, but the DT 880 is stupidly comfortable. The HE 560 is very good, but clamps a little tightly.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #18,674 of 46,554

No, they're weight-wise 2.5x scale compared to HD650. 

Actually newest Bamboo version is less than 2x heavier (~490g). Doesn't bother me much.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #18,675 of 46,554
the way to enjoying the LCD2 is lying back on a highback armchair...close your eyes...
put on moonlight snooznata n zzzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back