Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #18,691 of 46,533
My only other headphones which are considered 'reference level' are the Q701 but their treble is unbearable. The 650's are like a nice big duvet. Strangely, there's just as much treble detail but it's not shoved in your face as with the Q's.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #18,694 of 46,533

Q701s are terrible. I hate them with passion.

I soon sold mine. However for perspective considering the $150 they can be found for new at that price I think they offer reasonably good value.

I got mine Amazon Warehouse for $123, i wouldn't pay more than $175 though. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #18,695 of 46,533

650 and 600 are WAY to close in the presentation to have both IMHO. Closer than you'd probably think. 

It's a funny thing, they do have a very similar signature, yet enough different details that would make me go with HD-600 anytime, but that's just a matter of taste. Although I got to admit my first thought was indeed "more similar than I had imagined" 
biggrin.gif

As to own both of them CanadianMaestro, I'm not sure... especially if the veil-thingy bothers you, HD-600 has that too (they just feel less congested to my ears, probably due to less bass). You might want to try HD-700 if you want clarity, it would definitely be different than HD-600 and HD-650. Price isn't the same though :/

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #18,696 of 46,533

It was the comfort issue with the LCD that has always kept me from trying this from all accounts, fantastic lineup of headphones. I would think that after a little more time adjusting to the LCDs you might start to find some differences. I would be surprised if you didn't. Look forward to your more detailed impressions after you have enough head time with them. Cheers.

I agree whole heartedly here... I have the LCD-XC and the 650s.  While the LCDs aren't uncomfortable, they aren't even in the same league as the 650s for comfort.  I can forget that I'm wearing the 650s, that never ever happens with the LCDs.  My biggest issue is that if I look down or up, they shift position and slide around a bit.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #18,697 of 46,533
  I agree whole heartedly here... I have the LCD-XC and the 650s.  While the LCDs aren't uncomfortable, they aren't even in the same league as the 650s for comfort.  I can forget that I'm wearing the 650s, that never ever happens with the LCDs.  My biggest issue is that if I look down or up, they shift position and slide around a bit.

You need to grow yourself a bigger head!

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #18,698 of 46,533
Dynamic headphone technology is pretty much wrung out, whereas planar magnetics is still in its infancy.  That's why I picked up the HD650s now, and I'll wait a couple years to to grab what's then bound to be a far more advanced planar magnetic headphone.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #18,699 of 46,533
  Dynamic headphone technology is pretty much wrung out, whereas planar magnetics is still in its infancy.  That's why I picked up the HD650s now, and I'll wait a couple years to to grab what's then bound to be a far more advanced planar magnetic headphone.

I would definitely agree on that point, looking at the work that Oppo has done... I really would like to try some of their PM-1s.  I'm sure that the next round of planars will be even better.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #18,700 of 46,533
  I would definitely agree on that point, looking at the work that Oppo has done... I really would like to try some of their PM-1s.  I'm sure that the next round of planars will be even better.

You would be shocked at how good they are now. I have the HE 560 and it has well earned the accolades that are piling up for it. My previous headphone before that was the D7000 which had a stunning sound signature, but too much bass, and not quite articulate enough bass. I also owned an HD 650 for about a year and I can tell you that for those 650 lovers who like most everything about it, and yet still yearn for a little more top end energy, clarity and resolution the 560 is a worthwhile candidate to audition. Ideally you can afford to keep the beloved 650 in your stable while trying something new like a good planar design. I frankly just wanted to hear the planar sound and I am extremely satisfied with what I am hearing. Sometimes change is good. I still wish I had kept my 650 for that romantic, smokey tone it has.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #18,701 of 46,533

As to own both of them CanadianMaestro, I'm not sure... especially if the veil-thingy bothers you, HD-600 has that too

Thanks, Kyno. No-go on 600, keep my 650 for sure.

What region of France are you in?  Love French Gothic cathedrals. Been to Chartres, Amiens, Bourges, Reims, and Rouen.
Will visit Dijon, the Vimy Canadian Memorial, and maybe Strasbourg next May. Of course, Paris too (been there 15 x already!).

There's a great record shop in Paris -- right beside St Etienne du Mont, on 47 Rue de la Montagne Sainte Geneviève, in the quartier Latin. It's called La Dame Blanche.
Lots of vinyl, mostly old classical, and some jazz.

cheers,

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #18,702 of 46,533
  Dynamic headphone technology is pretty much wrung out, whereas planar magnetics is still in its infancy

Well... I wouldn't stretch it that far. It's definitely older than me.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #18,704 of 46,533
You would be shocked at how good they are now. I have the HE 560 and it has well earned the accolades that are piling up for it. My previous headphone before that was the D7000 which had a stunning sound signature, but too much bass, and not quite articulate enough bass. I also owned an HD 650 for about a year and I can tell you that for those 650 lovers who like most everything about it, and yet still yearn for a little more top end energy, clarity and resolution the 560 is a worthwhile candidate to audition. Ideally you can afford to keep the beloved 650 in your stable while trying something new like a good planar design. I frankly just wanted to hear the planar sound and I am extremely satisfied with what I am hearing. Sometimes change is good. I still wish I had kept my 650 for that romantic, smokey tone it has.

+1, but for now I am keeping my 650's.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #18,705 of 46,533
   Thanks, Kyno. No-go on 600, keep my 650 for sure.

What region of France are you in?  Love French Gothic cathedrals. Been to Chartres, Amiens, Bourges, Reims, and Rouen.
Will visit Dijon, the Vimy Canadian Memorial, and maybe Strasbourg next May. Of course, Paris too (been there 15 x already!).

There's a great record shop in Paris -- right beside St Etienne du Mont, on 47 Rue de la Montagne Sainte Geneviève, in the quartier Latin. It's called La Dame Blanche.
Lots of vinyl, mostly old classical, and some jazz.

cheers,

North of France (right next to London, Belgium and Netherlands, that's something to enjoy), although I lived right next to Toulouse for a while. You actually visited more cities than I have, but I'm not really into cities to start with :)
I do know La Dame Blanche though, I heard about it not too long ago interestingly enough.

If you ever wanna go "into the wild", please take a few days to visit l'Ardèche and/or do les Gorges d'Ardèche in a canoe (either in a day or two), that's something. You can also visit les calanques in the south, or even Corsica... <3 I should also mention the Alps if you don't mind moutains.
Thanks for the reminder that it is indeed a beautiful country, we really tend to forget when we live in it 
biggrin.gif

Sorry for the couple of posts off-topic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back