Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #18,392 of 46,499
Ah ha!! 
biggrin.gif
  Now I see the whole picture. The hd650 is not what I'd call incredibly difficult to amp and sound pretty darn good, BUT...I've found over the years that it actually does scale nicely with better gear. It definitely needs a dedicated hp amp. Consider these:

*Vali $120 (built in tubes, incredibly hard to beat the sound quality for the money)

*Lyr 2 $450 (dynamic powerful, you can roll your own tubes, built like a tank, will power just about any hp with ease)

*Bottlehead Crack $300 (this a DIY build it yourself amp, if there is any truly magical pairing between headphone and amp then this is it. If you plan to stick with the hd650 then you really should consider this amp).

There are lot's of these amps for sale right now on the used forum here, if you are okay with buying used. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #18,393 of 46,499
  i have a pc sound card Xonar Essence STX sound card  which has an amp built in i use them for music and watching movies 

Does Schiit Audio ship to Saudi Arabia?  That's where I'd start....

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #18,395 of 46,499
  Ah ha!! 
biggrin.gif
  Now I see the whole picture. The hd650 is not what I'd call incredibly difficult to amp and sound pretty darn good, BUT...I've found over the years that it actually does scale nicely with better gear. It definitely needs a dedicated hp amp. Consider these:

*Vali $120 (built in tubes, incredibly hard to beat the sound quality for the money)

*Lyr 2 $450 (dynamic powerful, you can roll your own tubes, built like a tank, will power just about any hp with ease)

*Bottlehead Crack $300 (this a DIY build it yourself amp, if there is any truly magical pairing between headphone and amp then this is it. If you plan to stick with the hd650 then you really should consider this amp).

There are lot's of these amps for sale right now on the used forum here, if you are okay with buying used. 

I think Vallhalla 2 will be more suitable than Lyr 2 unless you'r planning on planar headphones in the future, correct me if I am wrong.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #18,398 of 46,499
I'd buy a Crack in a heartbeat if I could only source one within the EU. :frowning2:

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #18,399 of 46,499
  Hey guys I recently ordered a pair of HD650 and it should arrive this week. The problem is I still don't have any dac/amp and currently trying to find the best combo for up to 250$~.
So far top choise seem to be the magni/modi but I wanna hear your opinion on this.

Chord Hugo
biggrin.gif
  Ok guys stop hitting me
deadhorse.gif
Well they sound so beautiful together.

I recommend Meridian Explorer. I know it's small but it can drive HD650s very well. Very good headphone amp/dac combo.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #18,401 of 46,499
I have both an O2 and a Lyr. Both do very well with the HD 650, the latter particularly with orange globes. The Lyr gives more body and weight than the O2. However, the O2 is excellent.

After much research, my first combo was the O2 with the Modi, not the Odac or Magni. I really like this pairing.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #18,402 of 46,499
If I ever buy a valve amp it will be a Crack DV336 or possibly an Ember. No Schiit for me.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #18,403 of 46,499
The Lyr with stock tubes is decent at best, roll the right tubes in it and it is a phenomenal amp for the money.

The No Schiit for you is your loss, the Lyr/Hd650/HE-500/Lcd-2/HD600/MadDog/ZMF and many other cans have just chill inducing synergy with it.  Although I must admit I spent a ton of money finding the "perfect to my ear tubes", but many others have paved the way at finding the "right tubes".

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #18,404 of 46,499
^+1, the Lyr 2, with either Volkhod Silver Shields, Amperex Bugle Boys in my experience (& others that I have not personally experienced Tele's of various vintages, Gold Lions, etc.) that make the Lyr 2 an extraordinary amp for my HD650's and Alpha Dogs, plus reports are that the HE560 pairing is also excellent.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #18,405 of 46,499
  The Lyr with stock tubes is decent at best, roll the right tubes in it and it is a phenomenal amp for the money.

The No Schiit for you is your loss, the Lyr/Hd650/HE-500/Lcd-2/HD600/MadDog/ZMF and many other cans have just chill inducing synergy with it.  Although I must admit I spent a ton of money finding the "perfect to my ear tubes", but many others have paved the way at finding the "right tubes".

Pearls of wisdom being given here. The lyr with telefunkens made magic for me on many nights till the wee hours of the morning. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back