Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #18,332 of 46,499
It sounds like these have gotten warmer after listening to them for these past two weeks.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #18,334 of 46,499
Jul 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #18,335 of 46,499
  +1.

I was really curious to hear this 'veil' when I got my 650's.  I've never heard any kind of veil.

I agree though, new cables aren't going to make these headphones sound different.

As far as cables not making any difference goes, I used to believe the same thing until I did some pretty convincing comparisons. Even with my limited income I shelled out for a (lightly used) silver/gold cable which to my ears adds a bit more clarity and definition to the 650s. They certainly weren't bad headphones before the cable upgrade but I'm very happy with the results that came from the amount I paid for the aftermarket cable.

It hasn't changed the signature so much as enhanced and balanced it a bit so the highs have more clarity without sacrificing any bass response. I had tried another pure silver cable with poor results so am convinced that cables can and do make a difference.

I also respect the opinion of those who feel it is not a significant enough difference to warrant the extra expense. I was lucky to be able to buy both barely used so in the end I had very close to new 650s with a great cable for about what most pay for brand new 650s.

"horse being beaten thingee"  (couldn't resist
tongue.gif
)

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #18,336 of 46,499
You mean,
deadhorse.gif
?????

It continually annoys me that just because someone can't hear a difference, nobody can hear a difference.

ergo, just because I can't run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds, nobody can do it.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #18,338 of 46,499
It sounds like these have gotten warmer after listening to them for these past two weeks.

Try taking them off your head now & again. Are you enjoying their sound?

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #18,341 of 46,499

Either you have a very special pair of older 650s or your hearing is entirely different than mine. I've owned both the black acoustic silk and silver acoustic {metal} mesh diaphragm versions of the HD600s at the same time and found the difference to be very obvious.

I sold the black silk HD600s and kept the silver mesh version (both had brand new pads). I purchased the silver mesh HD650s after hearing them at a meet and as I couldn't then afford two relatively expensive (at the time) headphones, regrettable sold the like new HD600s with the silver mesh for $220
frown.gif

Out of curiosity I listened to the HD650 black silk version at a meet to determine if the same difference was apparent and it was. I have owned the silver mesh HD650s for years and would now not buy a pair of either with the black silk diaphragm...period.

I've owned the white mesh version a couple of years ago. Their bass response was very nice but they sounded VERY veiled. Their highs were rolled of pretty drastically (almost exactly like this example: https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sennheiser-hd-650?in=sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test). I've sold them.

A couple of months ago I've dicided to go for a new one (second-hand). Serial Nr. 02XXXX, mesh is dark. I was confused the first time I've listened to them. They definetely sounded not like the older model: The highs were crisp and the bass fluid. No mudd, no veil. I was about to assume its a HD650 with HD600 drivers in them, but it still had this laid back charcter.

I'm thinking about ordering a new one for comparison.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #18,342 of 46,499
Hi, I have a quick question about authenticating the HD650. I bought a pair from amazon.co.uk recently, but the packaging does not feature the holographic Sennheiser ID they are supposed to use now. On the bottom of the outer sleeve there is a silver bar with a six-digit number, some barcodes "Made in Ireland" etc, but no holographic sticker. Is there a chance that these are not genuine? They were bought directly from amazon, not another seller.

I don't have any experience hearing other sets of HD650 so I am not certain. They're going to be a gift for a friend so I want to make sure that they are the real deal. Thanks a lot for any help.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #18,343 of 46,499
  Hi, I have a quick question about authenticating the HD650. I bought a pair from amazon.co.uk recently, but the packaging does not feature the holographic Sennheiser ID they are supposed to use now. On the bottom of the outer sleeve there is a silver bar with a six-digit number, some barcodes "Made in Ireland" etc, but no holographic sticker. Is there a chance that these are not genuine? They were bought directly from amazon, not another seller.

I don't have any experience hearing other sets of HD650 so I am not certain. They're going to be a gift for a friend so I want to make sure that they are the real deal. Thanks a lot for any help.

The HD650 has no holographic sticker and is made in Ireland. Amazon is an authorized Sennheiser dealer and/or offers sennheiser products from authorized dealers. Don't let some weird amazon-review fool you...  Search youtube for "unboxing HD650" if you don't believe me.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #18,344 of 46,499
After listening more, I'm starting to miss the sub-bass of the HE-400s. Bass is extremely light for me especially when compared to the 400s.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #18,345 of 46,499
  You mean,
deadhorse.gif
?????

It continually annoys me that just because someone can't hear a difference, nobody can hear a difference.

ergo, just because I can't run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds, nobody can do it.

I'm a cable upgrade guy, and I did hear a very small improvement, with my HD650s.  But with that said, I will always tell someone to focus on quality recordings, source, amp, and DAC first, before investing in a cable upgrade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back