Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #18,316 of 46,533
+1 cheers-beer-thing

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #18,317 of 46,533

None. There's no difference between the "old" and the "new" one. It's all the pads. Used pads will let you hear less highs and more bass.

I've my second pair HD650s here (dark mesh, Serial: 02XXXX), obviously an older model. But it has new pads and it sounds clear and snappy, I can't hear any veil.

Either you have a very special pair of older 650s or your hearing is entirely different than mine. I've owned both the black acoustic silk and silver acoustic {metal} mesh diaphragm versions of the HD600s at the same time and found the difference to be very obvious.

I sold the black silk HD600s and kept the silver mesh version (both had brand new pads). I purchased the silver mesh HD650s after hearing them at a meet and as I couldn't then afford two relatively expensive (at the time) headphones, regrettable sold the like new HD600s with the silver mesh for $220
frown.gif

Out of curiosity I listened to the HD650 black silk version at a meet to determine if the same difference was apparent and it was. I have owned the silver mesh HD650s for years and would now not buy a pair of either with the black silk diaphragm...period.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #18,321 of 46,533
  is it just me or is my gadgets fault ?
hd650 doesnt sound clear to me compare to hd598 and cd900st ?
especially vocal ?

im using Audio dg nfb 11.32 as dac/amp

Late post, I know...

I have both the 598 and the 650 and I know what you mean.  But, If you spend a lot time listening to the 650s and go back to the 598s, that "clarity" will start to sound thin or shallow.  You will miss the lushness and separation of instruments provided by the 650s.  Took me some time to get to that place, because for a while I was going back and forth between my Grado RS2i and the 650s, which is much greater jump in sound than 598s to 650s.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #18,322 of 46,533
  The 650 is beautiful for all genres of music. I use it with BHA-1 or WA6. Classic rock guitars sound real, without harshness on the less-than-well-recorded tracks. I find that with some jazz vocal tracks and large-scale classical music, I crave more sparkling highs and air, so then I turn to my Grados (GS1000i, RS1i)  for that. But otherwise, the 650 is a keeper for me.

+1

Yeah, that summarizes it for me.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #18,323 of 46,533
  +1.

I was really curious to hear this 'veil' when I got my 650's.  I've never heard any kind of veil.

I agree though, new cables aren't going to make these headphones sound different.

Well, for me, it was a side effect of coming from listening, almost exclusively, to Grado RS2i for a couple of years.  Then I took the plunge into my wallet for the HD 650s and there it was - The Veil.  I don't hear it that way now, but in the beginning I was almost ready to sell the 650s...

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #18,324 of 46,533
   The Veil is kind of a relative viel, compare it to the hd600 or any grado and it becomes apparent that the 650 is a very laid back headphone

Or Grado is just bright.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #18,326 of 46,533
I find the HD650 to be less spread out sound wise & more pin point accurate.  The instruments, sounds, voices, seem to be compartmentalized within a small space but still very much audible.  I don't know if that makes sense but that is the only way I seem to be able to describe how they sound to me.  The other thing about the HD650 is what I like to call the surprise effect.  Because the sound is so precise and not "spread out" with some music/specific songs, a particular sound ie. a bell, triangle, cowbell, etc. will suddenly come out of left field, sort of which almost gives the HP an illusionary effect.  The HD650 is a very distinct sounding HP & seems to have a black or white audiophile audience meaning either you like them or you don't but not too many people sitting on the fence with this HP.  Personally I enjoy it very much, mostly as I've previously stated, because of it's unique and precise sound.  I usually listen to mine with my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 Int. Amp., 70WPC, 1974.  I can tweak the sound a bit to my liking taking the recording into consideration (production quality, era, musical genre, etc.).  The Kenwood has low and high filters, bass & treble tone controls, loudness control, aside from the basic bass & treble controls. The distortion level is at 0.2.  A great combination which brings out the best in my HD650.  IMHO this HP is a unique masterpiece of a distinctive sound quality.

* Image is reversed; taken w/MacBook Pro "Mirror Camera".

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #18,327 of 46,533
smily_headphones1.gif
You took the words right outta my mouth
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 ... I guess that was what I was trying to say without angering the Grado fan club (of which I count myself a member).

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #18,328 of 46,533
I think HD650s are the best all-rounder headphones. They are no longer the best at many things but they do so many things right that they are just perfect all-rounders which would not disappoint at anything.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #18,329 of 46,533

Either you have a very special pair of older 650s or your hearing is entirely different than mine. I've owned both the black acoustic silk and silver acoustic {metal} mesh diaphragm versions of the HD600s at the same time and found the difference to be very obvious.

I sold the black silk HD600s and kept the silver mesh version (both had brand new pads). I purchased the silver mesh HD650s after hearing them at a meet and as I couldn't then afford two relatively expensive (at the time) headphones, regrettable sold the like new HD600s with the silver mesh for $220
frown.gif

Out of curiosity I listened to the HD650 black silk version at a meet to determine if the same difference was apparent and it was. I have owned the silver mesh HD650s for years and would now not buy a pair of either with the black silk diaphragm...period.

Is there any easy way to tell the difference?  And/or any serial number after which they are silver and not black silk?

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #18,330 of 46,533

frown.gif

Is there any easy way to tell the difference?  And/or any serial number after which they are silver and not black silk?

pull a pad out, get enlightenment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back