Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #18,346 of 46,533

I'm a cable upgrade guy, and I did hear a very small improvement, with my HD650s.  But with that said, I will always tell someone to focus on quality recordings, source, amp, and DAC first, before investing in a cable upgrade...

Yes, cable is not the top priority, but IMO, if you have $1000+ invested in your phones/amp/dac the cable is well worth it as it will really squeeze out all the performance your gear has to offer. My Equinox is noticeably better than the stock cable, only had to AB one time to recognize the very noticeable improvement.

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #18,347 of 46,533
  Hi, I have a quick question about authenticating the HD650. I bought a pair from amazon.co.uk recently, but the packaging does not feature the holographic Sennheiser ID they are supposed to use now. On the bottom of the outer sleeve there is a silver bar with a six-digit number, some barcodes "Made in Ireland" etc, but no holographic sticker. Is there a chance that these are not genuine? They were bought directly from amazon, not another seller.

I don't have any experience hearing other sets of HD650 so I am not certain. They're going to be a gift for a friend so I want to make sure that they are the real deal. Thanks a lot for any help.

Yes that's normal.  There is a holographic sticker on the L driver housing under the grill.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #18,348 of 46,533
Received a call from a Sennheiser Technician today. He said that there's absolutely no difference in the sound signature between the "new" and the "old" HD650. He also stated that there is no "old" HD800 and new "HD800 2013": "There's only one HD800." The only variation of the sound signature would come through used pads or balanced cables. He also said that there's no such thing like burn-in.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #18,349 of 46,533
Received a call from a Sennheiser Technician today. He said that there's absolutely no difference in the sound signature between the "new" and the "old" HD650. He also stated that there is no "old" HD800 and new "HD800 2013": "There's only one HD800." The only variation of the sound signature would come through used pads or balanced cables. He also said that there's no such thing like burn-in.

Reps will say that because it is against Sennheiser's best interest to admit manufacturing changes. That may imply there were errors or faults in past batches which they would want to keep private. Many other manufacturers reccomend burn in so I don't think this rep knew what he was talking about.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #18,350 of 46,533

All our experiences are seemingly different. Certainly a lot of speculation going around with these headphones.

I would dare say that the headphones themselves would not be sounding the same if they were used for several years. Temperature warping, no matter how minute, can surely loosen up those drivers in time.

We also might be in the assumption that the quality control is 100% spot on, in which is definitely what a Sennheiser technician would be required to say if you're not on personal terms with them.

I could care less. I'm enjoying everything I throw at these headphones, and it's going to be part of my main little set-up for many years to come.

Burn in? I'd rather say ageing with my phones!

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #18,351 of 46,533

I don't know what to believe anymore!

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #18,352 of 46,533
Reps will say that because it is against Sennheiser's best interest to admit manufacturing changes. That may imply there were errors or faults in past batches which they would want to keep private. Many other manufacturers reccomend burn in so I don't think this rep knew what he was talking about.

Were not talking about faulty products here, but about revising the drivers. That's no bugfixing, it's improving a 5 year old product with newer standards. I do own a what some here on the forum would call "old" Version of the HD650, but I think mine are wonderful.

Would you mind letting us know which manufacturers do recommend burn-in? Any Links? Shure says burn-in is nonsense, now Sennheiser. To me burn-in is 30% pads, 60% ears and maybe 10% drivers.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #18,353 of 46,533
In my humble opinion the 650 definitely benefits from burn-in, certainly far more than any other headphone I've bought (a lot). Anything which relies on physically moving parts will. Every time I've upgraded the suspension on my car (again, a lot) things take time to burn-in. Whether it's audible is a moot point but it definitely happens.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #18,355 of 46,533
It's like Inception movie.

Personally I think burn-in is a more psychological process than mechanical.

We're talking about a mechanical device here. Every pair of loudspeakers I've ever bought has benefitted from burn-in.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #18,356 of 46,533
We're talking about a mechanical device here. Every pair of loudspeakers I've ever bought has benefitted from burn-in.

I agree but I'm just saying that I think psychological aspect of burn-in (getting used to the sound signature) has a bigger role.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #18,357 of 46,533
After several years of hesitation, I've finally added the HD650 to the collection. First impression is that it seems to have the ability to move forward in the "what hp should I listen to today" queue 
smile_phones.gif

But other than that I guess there's not much I can say here on page 1224, that hasn't been said already!

Regarding burn in, it seems to me that the first 20 hours or so, gives a more focused bass and enhanced transitions. But it could of course just be me burning in ...

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #18,358 of 46,533
  After several years of hesitation, I've finally added the HD650 to the collection. First impression is that it seems to have the ability to move forward in the "what hp should I listen to today" queue 
smile_phones.gif

But other than that I guess there's not much I can say here on page 1224, that hasn't been said already!

Regarding burn in, it seems to me that the first 20 hours or so, gives a more focused bass and enhanced transitions. But it could of course just be me burning in ...

What took you so long?
But seriously, congrats.

For me, the only thing that "burns in" is not the headphone -- it's our auditory brain circuitry adjusting to the new sound signature (or sonic assault depending on your point-of-view).

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #18,359 of 46,533
  Hi, I have a quick question about authenticating the HD650. I bought a pair from amazon.co.uk recently, but the packaging does not feature the holographic Sennheiser ID they are supposed to use now. On the bottom of the outer sleeve there is a silver bar with a six-digit number, some barcodes "Made in Ireland" etc, but no holographic sticker. Is there a chance that these are not genuine? They were bought directly from amazon, not another seller.

I don't have any experience hearing other sets of HD650 so I am not certain. They're going to be a gift for a friend so I want to make sure that they are the real deal. Thanks a lot for any help.

If in doubt, email Sennheiser. It's unfortunate that they don't use serial numbers.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #18,360 of 46,533
If in doubt, email Sennheiser. It's unfortunate that they don't use serial numbers.

There are HD650 serial numbers. It is on the bottom of the box and should match the sticker on the driver housing under the ear pad. On the R cup I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back