Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #18,301 of 46,533
He's a character alright, lol. I'm not impressed with his recent solo effort though. In fact I much prefer Boris' effort. I'm intrigued as to what you used to do now, lol.

Yes, I really like Boris' work. Dieter is more an eccentric businessman who only turns up for work when he has to!! He hates rehearsing and doing retakes!!

I'm a musician. :wink:

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #18,302 of 46,533
Many years ago I worked for a Hi-Fi retailer in Scotland and just before the annual show Yello released Baby. I kept it spinning in the Ruark room and there were loads of punters who suddenly had their minds expanded! That was a great weekend. Those were the days.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #18,303 of 46,533
Lovely. In a way, the music lends itself well to hi fi due to the source being almost totally electronic!!

I used to appear with Senn 414's on my head quite often. We thought they were dead posh. Quite funny that in those early days, electronic groups were working with analogue synths and literally patched up our own sounds. Reel to reel tape loops were even used when loops were actually real loops.

When MIDI appeared, it was like having a real magic box of tricks and guys like Keith Emerson no longer needed all that live technique due to the micros of computers and MIDI. Slow motion became our friend!!

YELLO releases were always big events.

I don't think many young people nowadays realise the effort and inventiveness that went into early electronic music and so don't appreciate it as much as more modern music.

I had a lovely turntable from the Scottish company - Linn. Excellent deck. Built like a ton of bricks too. I loved that deck but couldn't take it on tour. If I could have done, I would!!!

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #18,304 of 46,533
Linn shook things up with the LP12 turntable. It's hard to believe now but prior to its release the consensus was that the key to quality sound lay in the speakers. Linn proved that without a rock solid source everything further down the chain was fighting a losing battle.

Were you in a band I would know?

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #18,307 of 46,533
Has anyone replaced their HD 650 pads with a new pair from Sennheiser? I have had these cans for nearly five years, and though they are nicely worn-in, I wonder if Im missing out on sound quality. I feel like a stiffer, new set of pads would inflect the sound, but I cannot honestly recall what these babies sounded like when they were in mint condition! On the other hand, perhaps worn-in pads convey an even better sound signature. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #18,308 of 46,533
I've replaced decade old pads on my HD600 and haven't noticed any sonic difference.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #18,309 of 46,533
Has anyone replaced their HD 650 pads with a new pair from Sennheiser? I have had these cans for nearly five years, and though they are nicely worn-in, I wonder if Im missing out on sound quality. I feel like a stiffer, new set of pads would inflect the sound, but I cannot honestly recall what these babies sounded like when they were in mint condition! On the other hand, perhaps worn-in pads convey an even better sound signature. Does anyone have experience with this issue?
I replaced my pads a few weeks ago, because they were flattened, but nit much of a difference though. IMHO.... :)

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #18,310 of 46,533
Yeah, mine are very flattened. They are going for 70 dollars, and I am having a hard time justifying this purchase to myself. Im not at all dissatisfied with the comfort of these at all. I am mainly just concerned with sound quality.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #18,311 of 46,533
When I replaced the pads on my HD580, after 3 years, I noticed a difference in the bass but that was about it. And it wasn't a magical night and day change, just a bit less muddled bass. 

On the non-audio side. I did find the new pads a lot more comfy than the old worn bads. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #18,314 of 46,533
This thread has survived 8+ years. Viva Sennheiser!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back