Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #18,211 of 46,554
  Isn't the Hugo about $2500 and in a case the size of deck of cards?

Yes, and it sure looks tacky. Especially for the price.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #18,212 of 46,554
Just getting around to using my hd650s. I haven't bought a dedicated amp or DAC for gem just yet. I' had been holding out, hoping that my integrated amplifier would cut it RA-01 but it does not sound good at all on this (running from Traktor audio 2 DAC to Rotel) and actually my cheap little Traktor DAC seems to sound very good and better than the integrated amps I've tried it on (including a couple higher end Oppos). Not sure why the integrated have been lacklustre but they sound congested and lack higher end brilliance. The Traktor DAC on the other hand seems to be powering these fine. Can this $100 dj oriented sound card actually sound better then emote expensive integrated map? Seems like that is the case.

Hoping to hear a bottle head crack maybe at a local meet and hope to have my mind blown... Hoping. That said, I bought the hd650 with the expectation that these would be more first real foray into the audiophile headfi world and they haven't disappointed.

One small note, my Amperior (not the hd25) seems to excel even over the hd650s in the high end. Was quite surprised by the Amperior even listening to classical.

Update July 22nd - I have kinda changed my mind a bit. The Rotel RA-01, while sacrificing a tiny bit of clarity is much more powerful especially on the lower registers than powering them from the Traktor Audio DJ. Going to try out some dedicated headphone amps, and see how they compare to the Rotel.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #18,213 of 46,554
One small note, my Amperior (not the hd25) seems to excel even over the hd650s in the high end. Was quite surprised by the Amperior even listening to classical.

You should try HD650 properly amped. Very few (much more expensive) headphones can touch them.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #18,214 of 46,554
Just getting around to using my hd650s. I haven't bought a dedicated amp or DAC for gem just yet. I' had been holding out, hoping that my integrated amplifier would cut it RA-01 but it does not sound good at all on this (running from Traktor audio 2 DAC to Rotel) and actually my cheap little Traktor DAC seems to sound very good and better than the integrated amps I've tried it on (including a couple higher end Oppos). Not sure why the integrated have been lacklustre but they sound congested and lack higher end brilliance. The Traktor DAC on the other hand seems to be powering these fine. Can this $100 dj oriented sound card actually sound better then emote expensive integrated map? Seems like that is the case.

Hoping to hear a bottle head crack maybe at a local meet and hope to have my mind blown... Hoping. That said, I bought the hd650 with the expectation that these would be more first real foray into the audiophile headfi world and they haven't disappointed.

Hd650 + Crack = mind blown for sure. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #18,215 of 46,554
  Hd650 + Crack = mind blown for sure. 

Mind.. cracked? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #18,216 of 46,554
Just wanted to put another vote on the board for the 650+Crack w/Speedball combo.

I purchased an already built unit from the F/S forums here back in March.  I had previously been using my 650's with my Little Dot MKIII.  I thought it sounded good but was really curious about the crack.  I don't have much free time this time of year between work and coaching baseball so I didn't build it myself.  I probably paid more than I should have for it and the seller shipped it in a box with no padding or anything which caused a cap to break off in transit, but that's all besides the point.

I wanted to give this pairing a good solid listen for a few months before I posted my impressions.  All I can say is I would be shocked to find another amp that has the kind of synergy the Crack has with the 650's.  I've done several back and forth comparisons between the Crack/MKIII and the Crack is a MUCH better amp.  I've been using the MKIII for the past 2 years and have been quite happy with it driving both my DT880's and 650's.  I really didn't see anything lacking with my MKIII and wondered if the Crack really would be that much of an improvement.  But it was. 

I'm not sure how many hours I've spent listening over the past 3 or so months but I feel that the crack really is the perfect amp for the 650's.  The sound is a good bit more full as compared with the LD MKIII.  Instrument separation and soundstage are better.  The bass extension is significantly better on the crack as well.  All in all I feel this amp makes my 650's better than they previously were, and I was pretty happy with them out of the MKIII.

I haven't done any tube rolling with the crack.  I wanted to get a good feel for what it sounded like with the stock tubes before I went upgrading any tubes.  I have spent a lot of time tube rolling my MKIII and I have found only minor improvements here and there.  I think the crack w/speedball with the stock tubes sound unbelievable.  Most of what I'm saying has been said in this thread many times before, but I figured I would post my impressions and give the 650+Crack w/speedball pairing my vote as one of the best for this headphone.  My only regret is that I spent what I did on the amp and didn't try and find some time to assemble one myself. Either way, I'm happy with this pairing and think I will be for a long, long time.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #18,217 of 46,554
It's testimonials like that which makes me head for my wallet. Damn you!

:) :) :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #18,218 of 46,554
Wow, these sound incredible, I expected the sound stage to be larger, but then again I don't have a proper amp. Despite being 250 ohms, they are just as loud as my Q701's.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #18,219 of 46,554
What do you all consider to be a "proper amp" for the 650s? I keep on reading that they need to be properly amped in order to get them to their potential but what does that imply? I imagine an E7/E9 combo isn't "proper", or is it?

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #18,220 of 46,554
The crack simply is a special amp for the 650. I've owned 1/2 dozen amps with the 650 and heard at least that many more at meets. I've yet to hear the match to the crack/650 combo. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #18,223 of 46,554
These are definitely end game. 

Compared to the HD558, the vocals were VERY airy, on HD650s, it just sounds more real. 
Despite people saying the HD650 are darker, I don't think so. The 558's are much darker. Highs are much more easy to hear on 650's. 

Much better instrument separation, accurate, and not harsh. They make recordings sound so much better than they actually are, more than the 558's. Much tighter bass. 

Drums, cymbals are really my favorite part of this headphone. Much livelier.

I am currently using my Reciever to power these but my Xonar DG drives them to good volumes fine.
Would I pay $499 MSRP? I don't think so.. but if you put into the equation:

Good comfort, clamp is a little tight but I believe this will ease over time
Makes crappy recordings even more listenable, compared to 558's.  They are slowly growing on me every minute. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #18,224 of 46,554
  These are definitely end game. 

Compared to the HD558, the vocals were VERY airy, on HD650s, it just sounds more real. 
Despite people saying the HD650 are darker, I don't think so. The 558's are much darker. Highs are much more easy to hear on 650's. 

Much better instrument separation, accurate, and not harsh. They make recordings sound so much better than they actually are, more than the 558's. Much tighter bass. 

Drums, cymbals are really my favorite part of this headphone. Much livelier.

I am currently using my Reciever to power these but my Xonar DG drives them to good volumes fine.
Would I pay $499 MSRP? I don't think so.. but if you put into the equation:

Good comfort, clamp is a little tight but I believe this will ease over time
Makes crappy recordings even more listenable, compared to 558's.  They are slowly growing on me every minute. 

Thanks for sharing your impressions. What are you powering you 650s with? So far, pretty happy with mine. Have only had limited listening sessions with it, and I've already put it straight to work in the studio where it has done a better job with mix downs than any headphone I've owned. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back