Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #18,196 of 46,565

I bought them recently. I've still got original pads that are in good condition so can compare the sound, I can't hear any major differences. I'm sure if you sat there intently trying to listen for differences you might find one, either real or imagined.

The sponge on these copies isn't as thick/high, and the plastic ring mount is made with cheaper plastic. These things don't adversely affect the overall sound in any way. Of course I might be going deaf so I could be completely wrong!

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #18,197 of 46,565
enjoy your oriental sponge 
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #18,200 of 46,565

I do. It sounds great with Hugo. That said, I have a feeling Hugo deserves newer, higher-end headphones. :)

That's a very interesting point! I've been listening to my 650s today,and with appropriate EQ ing they sound great.Every high end 'phone
I look at has some kind of problem.The Audezes sound fantastic,but weigh a ton.The Fostex 900,really really good,but leak sound,which
for a closed back 'phone is less than ideal.The 650's have a lot going for them,they're extremely comfortable,the sound is at benchmark
level,and they suit every genre of music.They scale well,and with a bit of tweaking,cables,etc.,they truly sing.I've decided to indulge myself,
I'll buy a Hugo,£1400,worth every penny I'm sure.I'm also prepared to go to the top of the range Audeze,spend wise.So far I've not come
across a decent case to deviate from the 650's.I'm very pleased to hear the 650s pair well with the Hugo,and very much appreciate your
taking the time to respond to my query.All the best.-C.

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #18,201 of 46,565
Fostex TH900s problem is (I auditioned them yesterday) that they sound like open-back headphones but mids are very recessed. I like tonally balanced headphones with a rather (even though not 100%) flat signature and HD650s come very close. Yes there's a bit of treble roll-off but I hate harsh treble so it's fine.

About Audezes, everyone says they're awesome but my head isn't that big so they'd probably bother me after a while. I didn't get a chance to try them though. Apparently they have a dealer where I live so might try them sometimes. I wish every headphone had the comfort of HD650/HD800. :)

Hugo makes HD650 more transparent and completely free of the so-called veil. Very neutral, full and fatigue-free sound.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #18,202 of 46,565
  Fostex TH900s problem is (I auditioned them yesterday) that they sound like open-back headphones but mids are very recessed. I like tonally balanced headphones with a rather (even though not 100%) flat signature and HD650s come very close. Yes there's a bit of treble roll-off but I hate harsh treble so it's fine.

About Audezes, everyone says they're awesome but my head isn't that big so they'd probably bother me after a while. I didn't get a chance to try them though. Apparently they have a dealer where I live so might try them sometimes. I wish every headphone had the comfort of HD650/HD800. :)

Hugo makes HD650 more transparent and completely free of the so-called veil. Very neutral, full and fatigue-free sound.

Very neutral,still retains it's bass? I'm considering getting a Forza Audioworks Hybrid cable.I like the look of it as much as anything,plus it's only 1.5m,as opposed to the stock cable which is about
!0 ft.! Do you use an aftermarket cable? The 650s really do have a lot going for them!

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #18,203 of 46,565
I bought a Forza Colour cable and initially thought it was better. Perhaps it is but not in a way I prefer. Seperation seems better but the bass loses weight. I actually prefer the darkness of the stock cable. I assume their Hybrid is even better (it should be, given the price) but whether it's a real improvement is for other ears to judge.

The HD650's have a distinctive character and I think if anyone doesn't like it they'd be better off buying completely different headphones rather than mucking about with cables trying to make them something they're not. Or buy HD600's instead.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #18,204 of 46,565
  Very neutral,still retains it's bass? I'm considering getting a Forza Audioworks Hybrid cable.I like the look of it as much as anything,plus it's only 1.5m,as opposed to the stock cable which is about
!0 ft.! Do you use an aftermarket cable? The 650s really do have a lot going for them!

Yes, I didn't say they lost their character. :) There's still a lot of the HD650 bass. It's even better since Hugo makes bass sound much clearer as it makes music more transparent. It doesn't magically turn HD650s to terrible (imho) Q701s.:)

I have the stock cable. I like the sound this way, besides I'm afraid the sound might change as Zorrofox said. Everyone raves about the Cardas cable but I'm not sure the difference can justify the cost.

Right now I'm listening to Dr. Dre - The Watcher on Hugo-HD650 combo and the bass is amazing. :) I don't like who Dre's become now but 2001 album is very good. The mastering quality is outstanding.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #18,206 of 46,565
Time for some serious A-B comparison!

I can give my final thoughts on HD600 vs HD650 in about 2-4 weeks. By then I will have switched cables, amps and sources.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #18,207 of 46,565

Yes, I didn't say they lost their character. :) There's still a lot of the HD650 bass. It's even better since Hugo makes bass sound much clearer as it makes music more transparent. It doesn't magically turn HD650s to terrible (imho) Q701s.:)

I have the stock cable. I like the sound this way, besides I'm afraid the sound might change as Zorrofox said. Everyone raves about the Cardas cable but I'm not sure the difference can justify the cost.

Right now I'm listening to Dr. Dre - The Watcher on Hugo-HD650 combo and the bass is amazing. :) I don't like who Dre's become now but 2001 album is very good. The mastering quality is outstanding.

One last question,sorry I should have thought of this before.Hugo/650s,plenty of headroom? Hugo drives the 650s with ease? Thanks.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #18,208 of 46,565
  One last question,sorry I should have thought of this before.Hugo/650s,plenty of headroom? Hugo drives the 650s with ease? Thanks.

Yes, it drives them easily. I didn't feel any need to get near full volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back