Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #18,241 of 46,533

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #18,242 of 46,533
Would the Schiit Modi/Magni be more than enough to drive a HD650 out of a Macbook Pro?

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #18,244 of 46,533
Was thinking the HD650's would be right for me until I looked more into the HE-400. Haven't found any direct comparisons reviews yet - anyone have any recommendations? 

Edit: As a point of reference if it helps, I tried out a friend's HD598 and loved it. I'll be going to a hi-fi store tomorrow to test out the HD650's

Quote:
Yes!
It would be enough, yes.

Awesome, thanks 

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #18,246 of 46,533
I have been using a Project Ember...http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_004.htm..with a CV4024 Mullard mil12at7 tube from Brent Jesse and the Emotiva xda-2 dac....https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/xda-2.. for quite some time and have a really great sound, full, detailed and a very large soundstage.  Garage1217  just released a new solid state amp, might want to give that a look also.  Had been using my Asus STX sound card but this combo of amp and dac is far better.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #18,247 of 46,533
Quote:
  Awesome, thanks 

This thread has some thoughts on the 650's vs HE-400.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636629/sennheiesr-hd-650-vs-hifiman-he-400

I was personally in the same predicament last year and ended up going with both of them around Thanksgiving.  6 months later...the 650's get infinitely more play time than the HE-400.  The HiFiMan's are great headphones...don't get me wrong, I love their unique sound.  However I prefer the comfort and sound signature of the 650's more.  The 650's in my opinion are a more laid back headphone, whereas the HE400's would probably be considered more 'fun' or in your face.  

I prefer a lot of Jazz, female vocals, acoustic, classic rock, etc.. music. The HE400 does fine with these genre's, however I think the 650's excel at these genre's.  Both headphones are different enough that I think you can make a good case for owning both, however if you're only looking to get one pair I think I go with the 650's.  I think if your into EDM type music more, then the HE400's may be the way to go.  Like I said, both headphones are fantastic...but if I had to pick a winner I easily pick the 650's.  Pairing the 650's with the proper amplification and I think they are pretty hard to beat.  Obviously if you have an opportunity to demo both of them and chose that would be preferable...if not my vote goes to the 650's.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #18,248 of 46,533
I had forgotten just how much I enjoy my HD650s.  I used to use them at work, but I'm now at a small company with 4 of us in our one office and have to use closed headphones... so I only get to listen at home.

Any way, I've been working from home today and been listening all day.  So enjoyable... so comfortable.  Makes me so happy I've held onto them.

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #18,249 of 46,533
I've been sitting here killing time while I wait for tonight's World Cup match and I'm listening to the 650's. I use JRiver and have been playing around with its Crossfeed settings. Listening to Radio Retaliation by Thievery Corporation allows me some guilt-free pleasure with crossfeed settings. I can even justify 'increased spacialization'. Wow!

What's people's views on crossfeed with the 650's? The effect is nowhere near as pronounced as it is with my Q701's, it's much more subtle. Like the cans really.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #18,250 of 46,533
Wow, HD650's were amazing. I went to the Audioconcepts store in Dallas, and auditioned them.

They were awesome. Got to compare them side by side to a Beyer T1 and a HD800 and I can comfortably say the difference in SQ is noticeable, but not too big. 

Was a bit surprised, however, on how similar my Westone 3's sounded quality-wise to the HD650's... makes me a little hesitant to buy them considering I got the W3's for merely $160 and a HD650+dac/amp setup would come in at ~$700.

Gonna have to listen to my Westones later to see if the Senns are really worth the price difference 

This thread has some thoughts on the 650's vs HE-400.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636629/sennheiesr-hd-650-vs-hifiman-he-400

I was personally in the same predicament last year and ended up going with both of them around Thanksgiving.  6 months later...the 650's get infinitely more play time than the HE-400.  The HiFiMan's are great headphones...don't get me wrong, I love their unique sound.  However I prefer the comfort and sound signature of the 650's more.  The 650's in my opinion are a more laid back headphone, whereas the HE400's would probably be considered more 'fun' or in your face.  

I prefer a lot of Jazz, female vocals, acoustic, classic rock, etc.. music. The HE400 does fine with these genre's, however I think the 650's excel at these genre's.  Both headphones are different enough that I think you can make a good case for owning both, however if you're only looking to get one pair I think I go with the 650's.  I think if your into EDM type music more, then the HE400's may be the way to go.  Like I said, both headphones are fantastic...but if I had to pick a winner I easily pick the 650's.  Pairing the 650's with the proper amplification and I think they are pretty hard to beat.  Obviously if you have an opportunity to demo both of them and chose that would be preferable...if not my vote goes to the 650's.

Interesting to hear. A shame there's no hifi shops here that sell the HE400s, I'd really love to audition them 

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #18,251 of 46,533
I'm still rocking my HD 650s.  I've been rocking them since I think 2007 making them 7 years old.  Still my favourite headphones.  So comfortable, sound is great and the cord is replaceable (I had to do that once).  It's so much more convenient to disconnect the cord and re-connect the new one than to pull the headphones apart and re-solder the new cable on.  These headphones have held up great over time with only some minor cracking of the finish on the headband where it flexes.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #18,252 of 46,533
  Wow, HD650's were amazing. I went to the Audioconcepts store in Dallas, and auditioned them.

They were awesome. Got to compare them side by side to a Beyer T1 and a HD800 and I can comfortably say the difference in SQ is noticeable, but not too big. 

Was a bit surprised, however, on how similar my Westone 3's sounded quality-wise to the HD650's... makes me a little hesitant to buy them considering I got the W3's for merely $160 and a HD650+dac/amp setup would come in at ~$700.

Gonna have to listen to my Westones later to see if the Senns are really worth the price difference 

Interesting to hear. A shame there's no hifi shops here that sell the HE400s, I'd really love to audition them 

Why not hold fast on the purchase for a few months. The T1's price has been steadily falling over the last 12 months save a little extra and you will be well sorted I loved my HD650 but there is no denying the T1's capabilities its a stunning phone and getting better value month by month.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #18,253 of 46,533
Does anyone here know of anyone in the UK who would be able to shorten my stock cable and perhaps fit a higher quality plug? The length is just too much for me but I like the cable itself. A higher quality plug is just for bling.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #18,254 of 46,533
I would suggest that serves no purpose? You can get a fabulous Toxic Cables copper or silver for probably the same price as having to pay for the stock to be adjusted like that! Forgive me if I'm missing the point here but it makes little sense to me?

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #18,255 of 46,533
Does anyone here know of anyone in the UK who would be able to shorten my stock cable and perhaps fit a higher quality plug? The length is just too much for me but I like the cable itself. A higher quality plug is just for bling.

If you don't mind changing the thickness and weight of the cable, you can try braiding the cords to shorten it.

One cord braiding is remarkably easy, but it may take some fiddling for it to look right on the HD650's stock cable.

Here's a link to the thread that discusses this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593066/diy-video-how-to-braid-long-cords-hfi-580-ath-m50-etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back