Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #17,866 of 46,499
I would do likewise. From what I've read the two headphones sound quite different.

From what I heard, it would rather be a sidestep than a step-up. However, some people claim otherwise.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #17,867 of 46,499
the 800 is pretty much everything the 650 isn't. they really don't have the same purpose imo. 1hour of hd800 would kill me, when 8hours of hd650 are ok. now if we're talking precision, wow effect and ******* wide headstage, then hd800 is one of , if not the best. personnaly I wouldn't have one if it was free but I recognize the quality of details.  

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #17,868 of 46,499
I am using the headphone jack on my Onkyo TX - 8255 it drive the HD 650s perfectly. It sounds great really lets me enjoy the music.
beyersmile.png

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #17,870 of 46,499
From what I heard, it would rather be a sidestep than a step-up. However, some people claim otherwise.

the 800 is pretty much everything the 650 isn't. they really don't have the same purpose imo. 1hour of hd800 would kill me, when 8hours of hd650 are ok. now if we're talking precision, wow effect and ******* wide headstage, then hd800 is one of , if not the best. personnaly I wouldn't have one if it was free but I recognize the quality of details.  

The HD800 isn't a competitor to 650, it's a wealthy neighbour :)

It's nice to see we're all on the same page. My wife also likes that I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #17,871 of 46,499
Hi,

I am really a new one in this forum. It is my first post here 
regular_smile%20.gif

I am finding an amp for my HD650. I know that normally most people will chose an amp for HD650 not more than $600. (just for normal case). Firstly I have the same opinion. But after I tried T1 once, I thought I will buy T1 next year. So I am thinking to buy an amp which can run both HD650 and T1  well.

I am now living in France, I just check the price of some proper amps, which have good price or good performance. (but I just got some information from internet ). So, I post them here, and hope to get any helps from you :)

1. Violectric HPA  V200
2. CORDA CLASSIC
3. PATHOS AURIUM
4. WOO Audio WA2
5. Schiit LYR

I just got some rough information below :

1. Violectric HPA  V200 (maybe the best balanced choice, price and performance may be both good for this two headphones) 
2. CORDA CLASSIC (I know this is good for T1, but I also heart it seems does not pair with HD650? )
3. PATHOS AURIUM (this is really attractive, but the price is high 1060 euros. Is this amp have a high CP ? I know it can drive most headphones well)
4. WOO Audio WA2 (it is not easy to buy it from Europe.)
5. Schiit LYR (The price is so good, and it is a hot amp in any forums, but I do not know how good it is, someone say it is good, but mostly due to its price and big power)

Thank you for any information you can give. I am not living in big city, so I do not have any chance to listen them... 
redface.gif
  Really hope anyone can give me any suggestions. 

PS : my audio source is PC + Atoll DAC 100 (it is not a hot brand, and made in France. But have good analysis , and maybe digital and cold, cost around 500 euros)

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #17,872 of 46,499
I would do likewise. From what I've read the two headphones sound quite different.

Yes....they should compliment each other very well.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #17,873 of 46,499
  Hi,

regular_smile%20.gif

I am finding an amp for my HD650. I know that normally most people will chose an amp for HD650 not more than $600. (just for normal case). Firstly I have the same opinion. But after I tried T1 once, I thought I will buy T1 next year. So I am thinking to buy an amp which can run both HD650 and T1  well.

1. Violectric HPA  V200 (maybe the best balanced choice, price and performance may be both good for this two headphones) 
2. CORDA CLASSIC (I know this is good for T1, but I also heart it seems does not pair with HD650? )
3. PATHOS AURIUM (this is really attractive, but the price is high 1060 euros. Is this amp have a high CP ? I know it can drive most headphones well)
5. Schiit LYR (The price is so good, and it is a hot amp in any forums, but I do not know how good it is, someone say it is good, but mostly due to its price and big power)

Thank you for any information you can give. I am not living in big city, so I do not have any chance to listen them... 
redface.gif

PS : my audio source is PC + Atoll DAC 100 (it is not a hot brand, and made in France. But have good analysis , and maybe digital and cold, cost around 500 euros)

I'm not sure what your sound preference is, however, contrary to what you may have heard, I can say that the Corda Classic pairs up with the HD650 very well. 

It is transparent in that it does not colour the sound, and therefore goes well with other headphones too. At the same time, provides plenty of power to drive both the T1 and the HD650. Personally have come to like the crossfeed feature a great deal as it cuts down on listening fatigue. In price terms I feel it punches above its weight

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #17,874 of 46,499

I know several people who would recommend the Bottlehead Crack for both:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl

http://bottlehead.com/?product=crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

I run the HD650 with it and it's the best that music has ever sounded to me.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #17,875 of 46,499
Thanks, SunTanScanMan,

Is Corda Classic a little bit worm for HD650?  I heart that the high frequency of Corda Classic is a lit bit dark. I have no idea... Could you give me more information on this?

Thanks.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #17,876 of 46,499

If you're into tubes, I'd get a Valhalla 2. It's cheaper than Lyr and is a better fit for higher impedance cans like HD650/T1.

If you don't mind full solid-state, I'd grab Asgard 2, which is the best value of all and is very versatile.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #17,877 of 46,499
  Hi,

regular_smile%20.gif

I am now living in France, I just check the price of some proper amps, which have good price or good performance. (but I just got some information from internet ). So, I post them here, and hope to get any helps from you :)

1. Violectric HPA  V200
2. CORDA CLASSIC
3. PATHOS AURIUM
4. WOO Audio WA2
5. Schiit LYR

I just got some rough information below :

redface.gif

I must say that I find the Lyr wonderful with the HD650 - although it is not a quiet amp in my case, but I think that I may have a rogue example which I will be sending back to Schiit for them to look at. The Lyr 2 should be a good choice for you, although there will always be import duty to pay, which is a consideration. I have a Lehmann Linear SE for my HD800 - which is utterly marvellous, nonetheless, my Lyr and HD650 get most of my time. I plan to buy the Meiers in due course, and the T1, and... and... and...

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #17,878 of 46,499

If you're into tubes, I'd get a Valhalla 2. It's cheaper than Lyr and is a better fit for higher impedance cans like HD650/T1.

I dont think higher output impedance amps are better for high impedance cans per se.   It is more a case that you can get away with using higher output impedance amps with high impedance cans - this means you can have some freedom in design choices (tube circuits, no expensive output transformers), but the flip side is that you are limited to high impedance cans only.  

That being said, the Valhalla or some other design might indeed be better for the 650s.  For one, the Lyr is really designed to be big'n'beefy for orthos.  You dont need that kind of power for the 650s - so for the same price, it might be worth getting an amp where the cost is allocated differently.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #17,879 of 46,499
  That being said, the Valhalla or some other design might indeed be better for the 650s.  For one, the Lyr is really designed to be big'n'beefy for orthos.  You dont need that kind of power for the 650s - so for the same price, it might be worth getting an amp where the cost is allocated differently.

Yeah, that was my main point. Valhalla 2 output impedance is pretty low anyway... but it has almost 20% more power output on 300-600 Ohm loads than Lyr 2.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #17,880 of 46,499
  Thanks, SunTanScanMan,

Is Corda Classic a little bit worm for HD650?  I heart that the high frequency of Corda Classic is a lit bit dark. I have no idea... Could you give me more information on this?

Thanks.
happy_face1.gif

No I wouldn't say it's too warm for the HD650. It has a clean and neutral sound, so if you plug in your hd650 and feel it's warm, it will be the headphone's signature that you hear. The neutral sound of the amp may give a false impression of the amp being bright (or the "high frequency" you mention) - I don't think this is the case - the amp just gets out of the way (as other classic owners have put it) and just plays the music through the different headphones' signatures. 

I find the clean sound very refined and easy to listen to for long periods. 

Also I don't think the amp sounds dark. At least for me, the HD650 has a darker sound, compared to the T1 at least 
The low headphone output impedance (I think 0ohm) means you'll be able to experiment with lower impedance headphones in the future without problems.

More impressions here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/557892/new-meier-audio-headphone-amp-corda-classic/300#post_10606141 

Good luck with the purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back