Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #17,851 of 46,533
The only time I feel like upgrading is when I come and read posts on here.

biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #17,852 of 46,533
Why modern tube amps?

1) They have better voltage swings to drive high impendance headphones.
2) They have higher output impedance, so they have a lower damping factor, which can be more euphonic.
3) They have the mid-tone "bloom" due to their harmonic distortions that some people can hear and find pleasing.
4) Tube rolling allows the user the ability to fine tune the end sound more to their liking.

My head says go with this but my wallet has a different view. Sorry wallet.

:)

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #17,853 of 46,533
For the love of Svetlana - just because it has tubes doesnt mean it is going to have high even-order harmonics and a lush midrange.    Can we please stop with this canard?  

Tubes used in an input stage doesnt provide that.   Even with tubes in the output stage, heavy amounts of global feedback can make a tube amp sound and measure pretty much the same as a solid stage amp, only with unnecessary complications (if you want a linear-sounding amp, dont f'k around with tubes:  just get a solid stage amp, which will do a better job at this).

Quote:
  What you recommend in its place for the "...overly lush traditionally sound commonly associated with tubes amps"?

Single-ended triode amplifier, running 45s, 2A3s or 300Bs as the output stage, wired to a *good* pair of transformers.   Emphasis on the last part, emphasis on $$$.   Have them put in a headphone output for you and enjoy music in a way that the measurbators will never understand/grasp in their unending search for 0.0001% distortion and flat frequency response.  

Do note that this sound is NOT for fans of V-shaped signatures.   However, if you are used to what a live classical concert sounds like, or the sound of jazz band in an intimate club, this is going to put a smile on your face that simply will NOT come off.   I sold off a $10k+ Stereophile approved 2-channel rig once I got my 2A3 amp - and it took a near-unanimous verdict from my girlfriend and all my close friends who compared the 2 systems.   That was 16+ years ago, and it has been my end-game setup since then.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #17,854 of 46,533
So which amp are you currently using?

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #17,855 of 46,533
Since the Crack is homemade, without any QC, wouldn't the actual sound have a large number of variables, skill of the builder, rolling various parts, quality of material used?

If you subscribe to resistors, cables and capacitors making a difference, yes.   However, I have yet to find any evidence that they do, other than *possibly* lowering the noise floor.   Better wiring will definitely help eliminate buzz, though.      In general, either you build the circuit the way it was designed, in which case it works, or you dont, in which case it doesnt (or hums like a mofo).

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #17,856 of 46,533
So which amp are you currently using?

I have 2 custom 2A3s - one i built myself (using a Loftin-White design) and another one i had built to my specifications to include a headphone output.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #17,857 of 46,533
I have 2 custom 2A3s - one i built myself (using a Loftin-White design) and another one i had built to my specifications to include a headphone output.

Thanks for the info. Google shows them to be quite nice but a bit out of my league sadly.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #17,858 of 46,533

If you subscribe to resistors, cables and capacitors making a difference, yes.   However, I have yet to find any evidence that they do, other than *possibly* lowering the noise floor.   Better wiring will definitely help eliminate buzz, though.      In general, either you build the circuit the way it was designed, in which case it works, or you dont, in which case it doesnt (or hums like a mofo).

After trying dozens of different types of capacitor both individually and then configured with further different bypass capacitors and even cascade configurations my own ears tell me something completely different. Its certainly possibly to substantially change the sonic voicing of a amp very easily depending on the type of capacitor used. Even the difference from switching out good electrolytic caps in the signal path to the same uf value budget film caps should be easily heard. Anybody who has done such changes of messed about building speaker crossovers will strongly disagree with you about such things making a difference.    There can be many different types of construction and materials used by the different manufacturers to produce the same rating and value. They will not sound the same because of these differences in their construction.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #17,859 of 46,533

After trying dozens of different types of capacitor both individually and then configured with further different bypass capacitors and even cascade configurations my own ears tell me something completely different. Its certainly possibly to substantially change the sonic voicing of a amp very easily depending on the type of capacitor used. Even the difference from switching out good electrolytic caps in the signal path to the same uf value budget film caps should be easily heard. Anybody who has done such changes of messed about building speaker crossovers will strongly disagree with you about such things making a difference.    There can be many different types of construction and materials used by the different manufacturers to produce the same rating and value. They will not sound the same because of these differences in their construction.

Fair enough.  I can only speak for myself.  I havent had a chance to do a direct A/B of the sound of different components and tend not to trust my ears when it comes to sonic differences after a long gap.     If someone else thinks there is a difference, more power to them.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #17,860 of 46,533
Thanks for the info. Google shows them to be quite nice but a bit out of my league sadly.

It'd be worth building them on your own, if you have the patience.   For <$1000 (well under, depending on what you can do re transformers and parts), you can build an amp that would retail for $5000 if made commercially, put in a pro-quality chassis and sold via a retailer.  And it isnt that difficult.     It's a shame rec.audio.tubes is now defunct, b/cit was a great resource for builders (and my own pages for beginner DIY enthusiasts have also been lost).

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #17,861 of 46,533
Do you want the best dac/amp for HD 650 or any other headphones for that matter? Just buy Chord Hugo. It is the best dac I've ever heard! And its amp is amazing as well. It has the most analog, natural sound I've ever heard! I'm saving to buy one as it's somewhat expensive. But you can be sure it beats anything below 5 thousand USD out there.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #17,863 of 46,533
I was kinda thinking to spend less than £500 to be honest. That's why the Crack & Valhalla 2 / Lyr 2 are considerations. And I'm happy with my 650's too. I've read so many reports of HD 800 owners holding onto their 650's because sometimes they need to relax.

I recently joined the ranks of the unemployed too so justifying hifi to my family - and myself - is pretty difficult right now.

Listening to the Blade Runner soundtrack right now and I'm there. :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #17,864 of 46,533
I was kinda thinking to spend less than £500 to be honest. That's why the Crack & Valhalla 2 / Lyr 2 are considerations. And I'm happy with my 650's too. I've read so many reports of HD 800 owners holding onto their 650's because sometimes they need to relax.

I recently joined the ranks of the unemployed too so justifying hifi to my family - and myself - is pretty difficult right now.

Listening to the Blade Runner soundtrack right now and I'm there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am wondering if I will feel the same way about my HD650, as I will be getting my HD800 Friday.

I am going to keep the HD650 around......at least for awhile....and maybe longer.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #17,865 of 46,533
I am wondering if I will feel the same way about my HD650, as I will be getting my HD800 Friday.

I am going to keep the HD650 around......at least for awhile....and maybe longer.

I would do likewise. From what I've read the two headphones sound quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back