Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #17,896 of 46,532
madwolfa said:
They may not be the best cans out there now, but they're still the best value and give most well-rounded performance, with comfort to beat.

I guess I can agree with you, but many reviews claim they're still one of the best out there. Not the best, but still one of the best :)

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #17,897 of 46,532
Not the best, but still one of the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Ditto. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #17,898 of 46,532
I picked up a relatively cheap pair of used HD650 from Amazon ($250), it works fine and the paint is still there, but the pads smell.  I'm going to try washing it, hopefully I won't have to buy replacements yet, since they are so expensive.

Do you just pull the pad off, how do you put it back on?

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #17,899 of 46,532
  I picked up a relatively cheap pair of used HD650 from Amazon ($250), it works fine and the paint is still there, but the pads smell.  I'm going to try washing it, hopefully I won't have to buy replacements yet, since they are so expensive.

You just press them hard enough and they will snap back in. There should be a "click".

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #17,901 of 46,532

Same problem here... used from eBay, barely used (not a chip on the frame or a wrinkle on the pads) but a little bit of a musty smell (like they'd been stored in an attic for a while).  I just left them hanging on my HP stand for a few days and the smell vanished.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #17,902 of 46,532
They are the best headphones in the world!

As long as you don't listen to anything more expensive.

:)

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #17,903 of 46,532
Also, how do you take off the headband padding?  I looked at this thread but don't know where the small black tabs are.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/76205/how-to-clean-replace-hd650-headband-pad

EDIT: figured it out

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #17,904 of 46,532
I somehow lucked out today, and purchased a pair in mint condition for about $300 CDN, which is the lowest price I've seen them go for. No shipping or anything, and the money went to help a university student who had already been bit by the headphone bug.

Impressions, so far these are giving me spine chills, and thats never happened to me from any headset (well, I've never owned anything of this quality before). Early impressions is that the sound signature of these are perfect for my listening, and music production. I will say that I may still hold on to my Denon AH-D600 (for its incredible comfort, lovely low end, and friendly sig). Will figure that out later. 

I've been looking to get the HD-650 forever and ever, and wanting to have a benchmark for this audio journey, and listen to a classic. Going to need a better amp I think. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #17,905 of 46,532
En
  I somehow lucked out today, and purchased a pair in mint condition for about $300 CDN, which is the lowest price I've seen them go for. No shipping or anything, and the money went to help a university student who had already been bit by the headphone bug.

Impressions, so far these are giving me spine chills, and thats never happened to me from any headset (well, I've never owned anything of this quality before). Early impressions is that the sound signature of these are perfect for my listening, and music production. I will say that I may still hold on to my Denon AH-D600 (for its incredible comfort, lovely low end, and friendly sig). Will figure that out later. 

I've been looking to get the HD-650 forever and ever, and wanting to have a benchmark for this audio journey, and listen to a classic. Going to need a better amp I think. 

Enjoy.    You got a great set of headphones.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #17,906 of 46,532
I think the question of whether it is one of the best all comes down to how many headphones are in that list.

I would actually say it is (regardless of price) if you look at it relative to all the various headphones out there.

Maybe not in the pure top 10, but certainly in the top 20 or so.

And it is good enough that you won't be wanting something better... Unless you make the mistake of listening to one.

Also I would add that I will always have a pair around because of how comfortable they are to listen to. I view them like I view my favorite leather club chair. Comfortable and familiar and always makes me happy.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #17,907 of 46,532

Your in Pittsburgh, I have some pads if they do not come clean that are in decent shape, If you want them you can have them I can send them right over to you.. I change them out pretty often, I am strange like that.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #17,908 of 46,532
if i just had to keep one headfone...HD650 would be it !!!! ,
thats for Friday .

Saturday would be... and Sun is.... then we have Monday...n Tues 

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #17,910 of 46,532
  Well Amazon is saying they have these at $409. Go to checkout: no longer available. Tried it a couple times over 30mins, same thing. Frustrating. Oh well, will keep waiting.

Be patient and keep trying, the price is floating constantly there. 409$ is about as low as it gets there, good price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back