Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #15,257 of 46,554
  Hi. I want to use the HD650 in balanced with my portable amplifier Alo Audio The International. What is the easiest (and cheapest) to do it? Thank you for your help.

Cheapest is usually recabling the cable that came with the 650. You can pick up a single Neutrik 4-pin connector for about $4-5 or a pair of 3-pin for about $9. Then just cut the factory cable to length and fit the connector. I have a spare cable on order from Sennheiser right now so that I can have one balanced and one SE.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #15,258 of 46,554

Cheapest is usually recabling the cable that came with the 650. You can pick up a single Neutrik 4-pin connector for about $4-5 or a pair of 3-pin for about $9. Then just cut the factory cable to length and fit the connector. I have a spare cable on order from Sennheiser right now so that I can have one balanced and one SE.

or just cut the wire higher up, solder the male 4-pin to the HP end and female 4-pin to the 1/4 end.... make yourself an adaptor.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #15,261 of 46,554
I just received my HD 650 today.

I mainly listen to trance music and today I learned that the HD 650 wipes the floor with high-end headphones, that I used before, like Stax SR-407 and Sony MDR-SA5000.

These headphones excel in mid and high frequencies, but lack in the low end. This 650 is different, not muddy Beats bass, but very clean, energetic and full bass sounds.

I am impressed.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #15,262 of 46,554
  I could then solder the cable directly to the type RSA Protector 4-pin balanced connector?
Can you tell me where can I buy it?

Hi. I want to use the HD650 in balanced with my portable amplifier Alo Audio The International. What is the easiest (and cheapest) to do it? Thank you for your help.

I think ALO sells the RSA connector separately...

I fear I lack the soldering skills, so I purchased a new cable for mine from BTG Audio.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #15,263 of 46,554
Hi,

i am new to high audio, came across this site by chance, and that cost me alot of money.

Now i own a HD 650 headphone + Woo Audio WA3 + Audinst HUD MX2.

I need advise on what i should upgrade in this setup that will give the most improvement. Right now i am using the stock tubes on the WA3 and some no name power cord, the HD 650 are stock as well and an using the the included rca cable to connect the audinst to the WA3. For source i have 44khz 16bit music cd rips in flac via usb into the audinst.

Advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rajat

P.s - this is my first hi fi setup.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #15,266 of 46,554
Cables make no difference so don't upgrade them. 16/44 is all you need. High res is pointless.

Many would disagree :wink: But really, cables are the very last thing I'd upgrade, you really have a great setup now so enjoy it! If you really need to keep spending money, get a bunch of tubes and tube roll. Other than upgrading headphones, you'll be getting into diminishing returns territory for your cash.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #15,267 of 46,554
  Hi,

i am new to high audio, came across this site by chance, and that cost me alot of money.

Now i own a HD 650 headphone + Woo Audio WA3 + Audinst HUD MX2.

I need advise on what i should upgrade in this setup that will give the most improvement. Right now i am using the stock tubes on the WA3 and some no name power cord, the HD 650 are stock as well and an using the the included rca cable to connect the audinst to the WA3. For source i have 44khz 16bit music cd rips in flac via usb into the audinst.

Advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rajat

P.s - this is my first hi fi setup.

My advice: start listening to it and stop spending for a while 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back