Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #15,271 of 46,564
I just received my HD 650 today.

I mainly listen to trance music and today I learned that the HD 650 wipes the floor with high-end headphones, that I used before, like Stax SR-407 and Sony MDR-SA5000.

These headphones excel in mid and high frequencies, but lack in the low end. This 650 is different, not muddy Beats bass, but very clean, energetic and full bass sounds.

I am impressed.

I also listen to trance and I'm really impressed the way these headphones work out with this kind of music where vocals don't have an outstanding importance as in other genres...

Cheers.

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #15,272 of 46,564
Thanks @james-uk and @dxanex what headphone would you suggest as an upgrade. I mean how much should i expect to spend at the minimum.

Dude! You just got the HD 650 and you want to upgrade!?

Listen to what most people are telling you and ENJOY your current set up. The HD 650 is a flippin' great headphone! Seriously...sit down right now and listen to some music with them. That's not advice, that's a prescription.

If down the road you really want to try something different and/or want to work towards an "end-game" setup, then get the HD 800 and be done.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #15,273 of 46,564
Dude! You just got the HD 650 and you want to upgrade!?

Listen to what most people are telling you and ENJOY your current set up. The HD 650 is a flippin' great headphone! Seriously...sit down right now and listen to some music with them. That's not advice, that's a prescription.

If down the road you really want to try something different and/or want to work towards an "end-game" setup, then get the HD 800 and be done.
This post right here.

I was reading the forums and trying to decide on my next upgrade to my setup. Worrying about this amp, or that DAC, or the vinyl setup I'm putting together. A few minutes later I just put on some music and got lost in it. It was just pure joy, listening to this really musical and not overly analytical headphone.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #15,274 of 46,564
Every headphone I have "upgraded" the HD650 with gets its head time, the novelty wears off,  and back to the 650 I go.  *

*this statement does not include the HD800 it is unique in its own way
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #15,275 of 46,564
Every headphone I have "upgraded" the HD650 with gets its head time, the novelty wears off,  and back to the 650 I go.  *

*this statement does not include the HD800 it is unique in its own way:wink:

Mirrors my experience as well, even the part bout the HD800. I am hoping to be able to buy it again to couple with the 650 at some point.

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #15,276 of 46,564
  Hi,

i am new to high audio, came across this site by chance, and that cost me alot of money.

Now i own a HD 650 headphone + Woo Audio WA3 + Audinst HUD MX2.

I need advise on what i should upgrade in this setup that will give the most improvement. Right now i am using the stock tubes on the WA3 and some no name power cord, the HD 650 are stock as well and an using the the included rca cable to connect the audinst to the WA3. For source i have 44khz 16bit music cd rips in flac via usb into the audinst.

Advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rajat

P.s - this is my first hi fi setup.

Buy more good music of good quality and enjoy.  You are already end game for many...

Then revisit in 6 months...

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #15,277 of 46,564
Hi,

i am new to high audio, came across this site by chance, and that cost me alot of money.

Now i own a HD 650 headphone + Woo Audio WA3 + Audinst HUD MX2.

I need advise on what i should upgrade in this setup that will give the most improvement. Right now i am using the stock tubes on the WA3 and some no name power cord, the HD 650 are stock as well and an using the the included rca cable to connect the audinst to the WA3. For source i have 44khz 16bit music cd rips in flac via usb into the audinst.

Advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rajat

P.s - this is my first hi fi setup.

The most change for the least money is to roll some tubes in your WA3. Woo never ships with great tubes. I'm sure there's a wa3 tube rolling thread around here that will keep you busy for months. Google is your friend.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #15,278 of 46,564
I just received my HD 650 today.

I mainly listen to trance music and today I learned that the HD 650 wipes the floor with high-end headphones, that I used before, like Stax SR-407 and Sony MDR-SA5000.

These headphones excel in mid and high frequencies, but lack in the low end. This 650 is different, not muddy Beats bass, but very clean, energetic and full bass sounds.

I am impressed.

I also listen to trance and I'm really impressed the way these headphones work out with this kind of music where vocals don't have an outstanding importance as in other genres...

Cheers.

Are you implying the HD650 is lacking in the vocal department? That's one of its strengths IMO.

*this statement does not include the HD800 it is unique in its own way:wink:

Mirrors my experience as well, even the part bout the HD800. I am hoping to be able to buy it again to couple with the 650 at some point.

I probably listen to my HD650 more as it's more forgiving of the poor recordings in my library. I can listen to it indefinitely without distraction. The HD800 hasn't ceased to impress me though. Definitely a good combo of headphones.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #15,283 of 46,564
I'm finding it harder and harder to pull myself away from my headphones with my current setup. Whether it's DAC/amp burn-in or all in my head, I find the sound really opening up. The treble that bothered me before isn't doing that so much now.Yes, female vocals are a dream. It's probably part of why I find it difficult to stop listening~

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #15,284 of 46,564
  I'm finding it harder and harder to pull myself away from my headphones with my current setup. Whether it's DAC/amp burn-in or all in my head, I find the sound really opening up. The treble that bothered me before isn't doing that so much now.Yes, female vocals are a dream. It's probably part of why I find it difficult to stop listening~

That's a good thing.  Enjoy the music.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back