Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #15,241 of 46,564
No way, I can't stand the sound when my pads start going flat. *shivers* No sir, I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

Also, side note, washing the pads can cause the foam to break down prematurely.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #15,243 of 46,564
I had to wash my pads. It's a necessary evil. I went 2 years without doing so, and so much dirt/oil had collected from it.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #15,244 of 46,564
Ok I think I'm getting all the praise behind the 650's now.  I just received my Schiit Valhalla today and have been listening for about 3 hours now

and I'm listening to music that was my reference material on previous systems spanning more than 10 years (Damien Rice, Live at

Fingerprints)  and I am hearing things I've never heard before,  I can actually now hear the venue acoustics, echo on live recordings.  Also on

some percussion tracks i can replicate the best attack I've ever heard from a speaker's mid bass (Prism by King Crimson off Sometimes God Smiles)

This is Exciting 

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #15,245 of 46,564
  Ok I think I'm getting all the praise behind the 650's now.  I just received my Schiit Valhalla today and have been listening for about 3 hours now

and I'm listening to music that was my reference material on previous systems spanning more than 10 years (Damien Rice, Live at

Fingerprints)  and I am hearing things I've never heard before,  I can actually now hear the venue acoustics, echo on live recordings.  Also on

some percussion tracks i can replicate the best attack I've ever heard from a speaker's mid bass (Prism by King Crimson off Sometimes God Smiles)

This is Exciting 

What DAC do you use?

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #15,247 of 46,564
  I dont have one yet this is straight out of my laptop, which only has a realtek high definition audio card (stock cheapo in my vaio), my plan is to buy the Bifrost ultra when funds clear up

So you will have another exciting moment in the future. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #15,250 of 46,564
  You could always grab a HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC for < $50 in the mean time, when you get your Bifrost ultra (Uber ?) you can throw it in your lappy bag.

+1
Great little DAC.  Add the USB Isolator for $30 and it's an excellent combo.  Still, Bifrost Uber for a birthday present later this year.  I can't resist, but I can wait 
smile.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #15,251 of 46,564
Yesterday I swapped the stock volume pot on by BH Crack+Speedball for a Valab 23 step attenuator and it has really opened up the top end on the HD650's I am quiet simply amazed at the change in presentation and clarity from just changing the volume pot definitely hearing more details in the top end now. No need for those RCA Clear tops now.

Short version of a longer post on the BH Crack bb about fitting the Valab http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/3480

Tubes, Mullard 12au7 and Tung-sol 5998

Most noticeable is an improvement in clarity particularly to the mids and top end.  Music seems to have more of a crispness and openness and to it.

Placement within the soundstage seems a little more precise. Instruments have a little more attack and bite to the leading edges of notes.

I can hear some woodiness texture to certain wind instruments I had not noticed before.

Listening as I type to Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham’s “I’m so afraid” one of my favourite tracks, is more forceful, darker and moody the bass is tighter and has a touch of presence to it rather than just hearing it.

IMHO the Valab has taken my BHC+Speedball +Tung-sol 5998 to a level of refinement easily above which I had been experiencing when running with the expensive 6AS7G GEC brown base without the Valab fitted. My perception of performance of the GEC is likewise improved.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #15,252 of 46,564
I may be on the wrong thread to say this; maybe I can (potentially) whet my appetite on the HD650's I will be acquiring very soon, by listening to what you guys think. 
biggrin.gif

Considering my current setup is an ODAC + O2 (on 1x and 2.5 gain), how much of a jump am I expecting from a DT250 - 80 Ohm?

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #15,254 of 46,564
  I may be on the wrong thread to say this; maybe I can (potentially) whet my appetite on the HD650's I will be acquiring very soon, by listening to what you guys think. 
biggrin.gif

Considering my current setup is an ODAC + O2 (on 1x and 2.5 gain), how much of a jump am I expecting from a DT250 - 80 Ohm?

Maybe the DT880 - 250/32 Ohm would be a better upgrade. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #15,255 of 46,564
I may be on the wrong thread to say this; maybe I can (potentially) whet my appetite on the HD650's I will be acquiring very soon, by listening to what you guys think. :D

Dt250, neutral balanced sounding...Had it for the longest time.
Vs hd650 mellow , more body...to seductive on a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back