Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #15,286 of 46,564
I try to temper my recommendation here while I admit a certain bias for Schiit products. I will say that anyone with a 650 looking for an amp would be sorely remiss not to take a long hard look at a Bottlehead Crack amp. It's simply a match made in heaven. It that unbiased enough? 
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #15,287 of 46,564
The Crack and HD650 are a wonderful combination there is real synergy. Also consider that the BH Crack can be easily upgraded further when finances allow.

For $90-$100 (which is considerably less than a fancy cable upgrade) you can add film coupling capacitors and a stepped attenuator. But be prepared for the looks of disbelief of those who get a listen to your old fashion looking tube amp.
evil_smiley.gif
 It's truly awesome.

It surprised me just how much the BHC & HD650's performance scaled with these mods.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #15,288 of 46,564
  I try to temper my recommendation here while I admit a certain bias for Schiit products. I will say that anyone with a 650 looking for an amp would be sorely remiss not to take a long hard look at a Bottlehead Crack amp. It's simply a match made in heaven. It that unbiased enough? 
tongue.gif

Remiss indeed and no, certainly not biased at all! *ahem* But really, I still very much want to hear the HD 650 on the Lyr. But I can't imagine how it would/could possibly pull me away from my Crack addiction. And I still haven't even upgraded to a 5998 tube yet
eek.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #15,289 of 46,564
I know it's hard to quantify improvements, but how much better would you say a Crack is as opposed to a pile of Schiit? I'm loving my setup more and more everyday. It's pretty hard for me at this point to imagine things sounding better, but I also haven't heard a truly endgame setup.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #15,290 of 46,564
  I know it's hard to quantify improvements, but how much better would you say a Crack is as opposed to a pile of Schiit? I'm loving my setup more and more everyday. It's pretty hard for me at this point to imagine things sounding better, but I also haven't heard a truly endgame setup.

Also interested. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #15,291 of 46,564
Only Shiit I've ever heard is a Magni/Modi, it sounded fine especially for price/performance but it doesn't effortlessly push the HD 650 the way the Crack does. It sounds amazingly dynamic and musical and fluid all at the same time. I try to stray from hype but it really is great. Even more so than my more expensive Darkvoice amp. I've read that the bass is markedly tightened depending on the tubes used in the Bottlehead (I haven't done much tube rolling yet). It's even crazier knowing it's something you (presumably) put together and the cost of the kit!

That being said I'd still love to hear some higher end Schiit. Hopefully someone that's heard Crack and higher end Schiit can chime in.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #15,292 of 46,564

Just enjoy what you have now. Your Schiit stack would be close to presenting the HD650 at its best. An upgrade won't push the HD650 to perform beyond what it's capable of. Save your pennies for better transducers, and then better components to compliment the headphone/s.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #15,293 of 46,564
Okay then. I was mostly asking for the sake of curiosity. I have no intention of upgrading. Maybe if I get terribly bored for some reason, I might mess around with the Valhalla the tubes, but the stock tubes are fine for now.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #15,294 of 46,564
Very pleased with combo of the 650s, Toxic Cables White Widow cable and Burson Soliost SL. Sources vary, but most fed through Cyrus Dac X+. Burson seems a good match for 650s and Toxic Cable adds soundstage width and trims off a shade of the upper midth warmth of 650s.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #15,296 of 46,564
Does the HD650 perform much better in balanced mode and with better amplification or is the difference minor?

How would a balanced HD650 coming out of a audio-gd Master 9 or GSX MK2 compare to a LCD-3 in terms of tone ,soundstage and overall delivery?

Which is more involving, more romantic?  That is the sound I seek.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #15,297 of 46,564
I won't touch the balanced vs SE debate. I will say that the 650 responds and "scales" nicely with better amps and dac for that matter. 

My opinion on the amps I've tried:

1. BH Crack with speedball 10/10 You just won't do any better in terms of pairing and getting the absolute best sound from the 650 or 600. 

2. Schiit lyr 9/10 Drives the 650 nicely with good dynamics and the tubes give you the option to tweak the signature. If anything, the lyr seems a touch warm and will a bit of bottom end albeit just marginally. The lyr is tried and true and a safe bet. 

3. Asgard 2 9/10 Not quite the same levels of dynamics as the lyr but more refined. Bass is tighter with slightly more texture. A bit more resolution on the top end. The A2 is a clean mostly neutral amp and it will work well if you're looking to "balance" the warmer nature of the 650. 

4. Vali This is the little amp that could. Both dynamic and clean. Packs serious punch for such a small amp. Slightly warm but very close to neutral. Crazy good with a nice dac behind it. If you don't mind the microphonic issues during the warm up period, the Vali is hard to pass up at $120 8.5/10

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #15,298 of 46,564
  I won't touch the balanced vs SE debate. I will say that the 650 responds and "scales" nicely with better amps and dac for that matter. 

My opinion on the amps I've tried:

1. BH Crack with speedball 10/10 You just won't do any better in terms of pairing and getting the absolute best sound from the 650 or 600. 

2. Schiit lyr 9/10 Drives the 650 nicely with good dynamics and the tubes give you the option to tweak the signature. If anything, the lyr seems a touch warm and will a bit of bottom end albeit just marginally. The lyr is tried and true and a safe bet. 

3. Asgard 2 9/10 Not quite the same levels of dynamics as the lyr but more refined. Bass is tighter with slightly more texture. A bit more resolution on the top end. The A2 is a clean mostly neutral amp and it will work well if you're looking to "balance" the warmer nature of the 650. 

4. Vali This is the little amp that could. Both dynamic and clean. Packs serious punch for such a small amp. Slightly warm but very close to neutral. Crazy good with a nice dac behind it. If you don't mind the microphonic issues during the warm up period, the Vali is hard to pass up at $120 8.5/10

Thanks for the breakdown Matt.  I've been going back and forth for weeks on which amp I want.  I currently have a Little Dot MKIII that is okay with my HD650's. The Crack appeals to me the most, however I want something that also works well with my HE400's so the Lyr has really been pulling at me.  I've read the Crack doesn't do very well with the 400's, so I'm looking for something that can handle both the 650 and 400 well.  I have never built an amp before but the Crack is so appealing to me.  I think in the end I'm going to end up going with the Crack because of the great reviews I've read here and how it pairs with higher impedance headphones.  I also have a DT880/600 ohm.  The Crack probably won't be the best thing for the HE400's but I think it will be okay.  Maybe eventually I'll add a Lyr to the mix but right now I really want to hear my 650's with a Crack.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #15,299 of 46,564
^^ The Crack will NOT be okay for the he400 or other planar magnetic hp's for that matter. The inability to drive planar mag's may be it's true deficiency.  If you own hd6x0 hp's and Beyer, then the crack is your amp. If you can afford the crack and another amp for planars, then that would also work. 

If you want to drive the hd650 and the he400, I suggest the lyr.  

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #15,300 of 46,564
I am replacing my Lyr with a Ray Samuels Audio Apache and am in need of suggestions for balanced cables.  I will be getting Audeze lcd x's soon and I'll run those balanced for sure, so am I better off waiting to get the Audeze's or go ahead and get cables for the hd650's?

Thanks in advance Alvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back