Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #15,121 of 46,499
  Can anyone explain the difference between Lyr and BTH Crack w/ speedball on the 650? Which sounds darker/brighter, larger soundstage/more intimate, etc.

This would be a good post for the Crack;Bottlehead OTL bb as well, as you should get feed back not only on the pairing with HD650 but also other phones as well.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #15,122 of 46,499
Thank you all for the useful input. Has anyone directly compared the Bottlehead to the La Figaro 336C. I read a review on headfonia and they seem to be pretty close quality-wise, albeit with a different character.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #15,123 of 46,499

If UK based keep an eye on the classified pages of the Hifi Wigwam  community buying used will get you much better value Schit and Bottlehead products turn up from time to time posting a wanted add for headamp for hd650 wanted should yield some good options.

Also if UK based and looking for new it would be worth considering the NJC Monitor II, take a look at  http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/index.html. I have only seen good things posted about their amps and equipment. My dealings with them have always been first class and it is not often you can talk and ask questions directly with the guy who actually designs and builds your equipment.

Vishay Dale precision military grade resistors, Panasonic FM series capacitors, Alps potentiometer & “ClarityCap ESA” audio grade capacitors

These are hand built to order taking 12-14 days before your amp is built & fully tested and come supplied with a custom hand built external NJC high quality transformer plus a 3 year warranty and are very close to your budget.

Good hunting

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #15,124 of 46,499
Hi All

Earlier I have used Denon AH-D2000, AH-D5000 etc. From the past 6 months I am using ATH -A900X and I am pretty happy using them with Fiio X3.
Recently got the Sennheiser HD650 on a deal for 288.29$ (I know it is the BEST PRICE for HD650) . Burned my HD650 headphones for more than 50 hrs. Somehow I do not like the sound quality of HD650. I have also tried to increase the gain and with the combination of Fiio E17 and they still does not sound sharp.

My question is... is HD650 inferior to ATH-A900X? With Fiio X3, it is getting really loud (with the gain) but I feel ATH-A900X is more detailed and wide open. Soundstage is also lot better compare to HD650.

Is anyone tried HD 650 with Fiio X3? Can someone help me to understand HD650?

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #15,125 of 46,499
"My question is... is HD650 inferior to ATH-A900X? With Fiio X3, it is getting really loud (with the gain) but I feel ATH-A900X is more detailed and wide open. Soundstage is also lot better compare to HD650."

I am new to this but would venture a guess that that it is the amp not pairing well.

The X3 only puts out 30mw into 300ohms(hd-650) but does around 200+mw to your ATH-900x's at 42 ohms.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #15,126 of 46,499
  Edit: I have a silly question: I had some coaxial cables laying around so I decided to use those to connection the Uber Bifrost to the Valhalla. Should that have any noticeable effect on the sound quality over using typical RCA cables? It doesn't seem like there would be a difference, but I just want to make sure.

I've always wondered about using individual coax cables to create a stereo pair.  To my non-engineer mind, it seems like it should work, since Left and Right are separate channels.

Unfie, did you try comparing your coax cables to "typical" RCA cables?  If you do, I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #15,127 of 46,499
Hi All

Earlier I have used Denon AH-D2000, AH-D5000 etc. From the past 6 months I am using ATH -A900X and I am pretty happy using them with Fiio X3.
Recently got the Sennheiser HD650 on a deal for 288.29$ (I know it is the BEST PRICE for HD650) . Burned my HD650 headphones for more than 50 hrs. Somehow I do not like the sound quality of HD650. I have also tried to increase the gain and with the combination of Fiio E17 and they still does not sound sharp.

My question is... is HD650 inferior to ATH-A900X? With Fiio X3, it is getting really loud (with the gain) but I feel ATH-A900X is more detailed and wide open. Soundstage is also lot better compare to HD650.

Maybe, you simply don't like its sound signature... But give them some time on your head. Let your mind getting confortable with the 'new sound'.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #15,128 of 46,499
  ^ I was getting confused whether or not this is is a hd650 thread or an amp thread.

well, using the HD650 a lot with the Graham Slee Solo SRG2 at the moment with a cambridge audio dac
I'll be upgrading to a schiit dac and also might be doing something to the Slee to convert it to ultra-linear edition of it

I did the same thing, upgraded the Solo SRG2 to a Ultra-Linear Edition paired with M2Tech hiFace DAC with my HD-650'S. You will not be sorry for the upgrade.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #15,129 of 46,499

I've always wondered about using individual coax cables to create a stereo pair.  To my non-engineer mind, it seems like it should work, since Left and Right are separate channels.

Unfie, did you try comparing your coax cables to "typical" RCA cables?  If you do, I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

That's the weird thing: I don't have any RCA cables lying around, yet I somehow ended with 2 coaxial cables. I decided to take a gamble and use the coaxial cables because I figured it should theoretically be okay from what I read. Can anyone else give me more insight on this? I hope I'm correct...

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #15,130 of 46,499
  Hi All

Part of getting the best sound out of your HD 650 is matching them to the right equipment along with what works for your ears. I can see the HD 650 sounding a bit muffled without a good source. It's not just a matter of getting the volume high enough. People say that the X3 has a rather cold sound signature despite having a Wolfson DAC. I have the X3 and while it's decent for the price especially considering the portability, it does not hold a candle to my pile of Schiit (Bifrost Uber and Valhalla). Yes, it's more expensive, but price isn't everything. I went with the Valhlla over the Lyr even though the latter is more expensive because folks said it sounds better for these headphones. The Valhalla complements the HD 650 better because they provide a brighter sound signature. That's also what works out better for my ears.

I can't tell you if the ATH-A900X sounds better since I haven't heard it before. Maybe they sound better than the HD 650 when used with the X3. Maybe you prefer the ATH-A900X's sound signature. Have you tried messing around with the EQ? 

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #15,131 of 46,499
Thanks alot for your detailed reply. I believe A900X are easy to drive. That's why they sound great when I compare it to HD650 with the Fiio X3 or Fiio X3 + E17.

I would like to test HD650 with another Amp like Schiit VALI. Is Guitar Center have any of them for Demo? Or where I can see them for Demo? I live in Detroit Metro area.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #15,132 of 46,499
Does anyone have an upgrade for the HD 650, other then the LCD-2? I'm looking for something like the hd 650 but more controlled bass and non recessed mid range. LCD are just to heavy for me even though I love the sound and think it would be the best upgrade headphone. Thanks. budget 1500ish.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #15,134 of 46,499
  Does anyone have an upgrade for the HD 650, other then the LCD-2? I'm looking for something like the hd 650 but more controlled bass and non recessed mid range. LCD are just to heavy for me even though I love the sound and think it would be the best upgrade headphone. Thanks. budget 1500ish.

The HD600's. ^_-

That's pretty much what I'd say also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back