Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #15,106 of 46,527
Thanks for the suggestion. 300€ is already a stretch (my comfort zone is ~250€). The audiolab I have found locally, thus would be saving on shipping costs, plus is a combo unit. I wish I could afford the Crack, especially that one.
This is a great suggestion. Actually leaving Greece would make a lot of sense, not just audio-wise! As far as I know there is no return policy whatsoever, so I will just have to rely on reviews and opinions.

I only heard the "Little Dot MK IV" in your list with the HD700, it wasn't bad for HD700 but I'm not sure about the HD650.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #15,107 of 46,527
I don't have a MkIV but I do have a MKIII that I use daily with my HD650's and they sound great , I am thinking that the MKIV being a higher end amp, they would sound at least as good as my setup and probably better.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #15,109 of 46,527
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! omg my pile of Schiit is here! I thought it would arrive tomorrow, but I checked the status on Amazon and it said delivered. I don't think I've ever been more excited to receive a package in my life. Going to open up these bad boys and let them warm up for a bit. My first experience with tubes...so excited!

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #15,111 of 46,527
  Congratulation!  What did you buy?

I got the Schiit Bifrost Uber and the Valhalla. I asked about it earlier this week and decided to pull the trigger on it. I'm using the excuse that it's my early birthday present since mine is later this month.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #15,112 of 46,527

I got the Schiit Bifrost Uber and the Valhalla. I asked about it earlier this week and decided to pull the trigger on it. I'm using the excuse that it's my early birthday present since mine is later this month.

Congrats!  Envious of your Bifrost (11th Commandment? Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Bifrost).  Enjoy rollin' those tubes 
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #15,113 of 46,527
Thanks for the suggestion. 300€ is already a stretch (my comfort zone is ~250€). The audiolab I have found locally, thus would be saving on shipping costs, plus is a combo unit. I wish I could afford the Crack, especially that one.
There are many, probably a vast majority of HD650 owners who would say that extra 100€ would be more than worth it to pair the Crack with these headphones. Not sure if the amp is still available, but if it's too much to spend, then please disregard these sentiments.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #15,114 of 46,527

Congrats!  Envious of your Bifrost (11th Commandment? Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Bifrost).  Enjoy rollin' those tubes 
beerchug.gif

Okay, I listened to a few tracks. The first thing that sticks out at me is the instrument separation. I can easily count the number of instruments being played. Next is the impact. This combo is so much better at both than my Headroom Desktop Amp which was only $100 cheaper at the time I bought it. There's quite a bit of bass impact, enough to satisfy my inner basshead. I'm a little unsure how to feel about the mids and highs. I'll have to listen to more tracks, but I'm liking it so far.

Edit: I have a silly question: I had some coaxial cables laying around so I decided to use those to connection the Uber Bifrost to the Valhalla. Should that have any noticeable effect on the sound quality over using typical RCA cables? It doesn't seem like there would be a difference, but I just want to make sure.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #15,115 of 46,527
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-La-Figaro-336C-Head-AMP-tube-AMP-PreAMP-amp-good-/261083948825

howsaboutthis? 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #15,116 of 46,527
^ I was getting confused whether or not this is is a hd650 thread or an amp thread.

well, using the HD650 a lot with the Graham Slee Solo SRG2 at the moment with a cambridge audio dac
I'll be upgrading to a schiit dac and also might be doing something to the Slee to convert it to ultra-linear edition of it

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #15,117 of 46,527
Can anyone explain the difference between Lyr and BTH Crack w/ speedball on the 650? Which sounds darker/brighter, larger soundstage/more intimate, etc.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #15,120 of 46,527
  May I have some help on amping?
I will be receiving my HD650s soon and I am trying to decide on the amp. I mostly listen to jazz and some classic rock. My budget is approximately 300 euro and since I live in Europe, I have limited access to the Schit Lyr and the Bottlehead Crack which would make the obvious choice. My plan is to get the amp first and then get a DAC as well.
So here are my options:
i) Musical Fidelity X-Can V8+X-PSU (used and rather cheap, ~200 euro)
ii) Audiolab M-DAC (used and rather cheap, ~350 euro but is the amp good enough -at least tolerable until I can afford a decent amp)
iii) Micromega MyZic (~250 euro)
iv) Little Dot mk IV (~250 euro)
v) La Figaro 336C (~230 euro)
vi) La Figaro 332C (~290 euro)
vii) La Figaro 332S (~320 euro)
What do you think I should do?

If UK based keep an eye on the classified pages of the Hifi Wigwam  community buying used will get you much better value Schit and Bottlehead products turn up from time to time posting a wanted add for headamp for hd650 wanted should yield some good options.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back