Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #1,471 of 46,499

Quote:

I have to challenge you on that one.  When I auditioned the HD800, I had the K701 as a direct point of reference, where I'd AB between the two.  You may be relying on memory - the HD800 had a better bass extension and presence than K701 - which for you may have countered the extended treble presence of the HD800 over the K701. 

For my preferences, after auditioning the the HD800 - switching over to the K701 gave me a huge relief from the treble stridency I experienced with the HD800.  This is in stark contrast with my reference rig where the HD650 serves as relief to the discomfort of extended listening to K701 - in terms of treble presence.

I am simply being as helpful to Midoo as much as possible - can you personally recommend the HD800 over the T1 for Midoo - as you own both?

Challenge away...I know from personal experience OWNING BOTH at the SAME TIME. One of my very fist observations were, boy the treble is not anywhere as "hot" as the K701 or DT880.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #1,472 of 46,499

Quote:
Challenge away...I know from personal experience OWNING BOTH at the SAME TIME. One of my very fist observations were, boy the treble is not anywhere as "hot" as the K701 or DT880.

I'll give you that one - I'll hand it to you on a silver platter.

The point is then, that we have is a HD650 lover that wishes to upgrade - there is no such thing as a HD650 lover that wishes for less bass than it already produces, the HD800 has a lesser bass presence than the HD650.  From your posts - I derive that the T-1 is in all probability more likely to have a closer bass presence to the HD650. 

Nevertheless congratulations to Midoo on his decision to purchase the LCD-2s ... a fine choice might I add - which I will purchase straight from you if you do not like them.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #1,473 of 46,499

Quote:

The point is then, that we have is a HD650 lover that wishes to upgrade - there is no such thing as a HD650 lover that wishes for less bass than it already produces, the HD800 has a lesser bass presence than the HD650.  From your posts - I derive that the T-1 is in all probability more likely to have a closer bass presence to the HD650. 

I'll give you that one. If you want the same bass, warmth, and "laid back' treble, then the HD800s are not likely your best choice.

The T1s do infact have more bass "pop" than the HD800s; though not as defined. But in the end, the HD650s (which I also owned at the same time as all of the above cans) still had the most "amount" of bass.

Cheers

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #1,474 of 46,499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should write ad copies for Sennheiser, you're talented.

I'll give you that one. If you want the same bass, warmth, and "laid back' treble, then the HD800s are not likely your best choice.

The T1s do infact have more bass "pop" than the HD800s; though not as defined. But in the end, the HD650s (which I also owned at the same time as all of the above cans) still had the most "amount" of bass.

Cheers

Yup.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #1,475 of 46,499
I had a pair (no pun intended) but sold them on my way to something else and currently own the HD800, which I love.  I have to say, if you're into neutral with some bass to spare, the HD650 is a great bargain.  I thought the T1 was pretty nice as well, but the 650s sell for a quarter of the price, winning the budget war.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #1,476 of 46,499
Hey

Last week I got a pair of new hd650, and the set up is:

Sennheiser hd650
Cardas Headphone Cable
Graham slee novo

Connected with a Roksan kandy K2 amp/cd-player

I think it sounds very good already, but have a couple of questions:)

I read a lot about burn in, on both the cans and the amp, so can anyone tell me? will the sound change that much after a while?

My second question is about the Novo amp. Its connected through the Roksans tape-out and that works well. But i noticed that when i play music with my speakers, the music still find it way to the cans through the Slee Novo. I turned the volume knob to zero and the sound was gone, is this normal? 

By the way, this is my first Cans and head-amp:)

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #1,478 of 46,499

Quote:
Originally Posted by vango19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read a lot about burn in, on both the cans and the amp, so can anyone tell me? will the sound change that much after a while?

I used to be a huge skeptic on the burn in process, but I am now a firm believer in it.  It's hard for me to put into words, but my experience with the HD650 burn in was that first off, I loved the sound of the phones new out of the box.  After a burn-in however, they seemed to have opened up.  The highs / mids / lows, all had better definition.  The HD650's loosened up a bit.   I also let my amp (Burson HA-160), burn in for about 150 hours.  The difference wasn't as noticeable as with the headphones, but there was a difference.  More "air" and more "space" is the only way I can describe it.  I have the stock cable which I am extremely happy with, so I can't speak to the burn in of after market cables.

Try it and see for yourself.  I listened to mine for about an hour when they were new.  Then I let them burn in for just under 300 hours.  I was grinning ear to ear.  There was a significant difference.   The reason I went 300 hours was because I went out of town.  Some people say 150 - 200 hours is good enough.

If you notice in several of my comments, I will usually say that it depends on your ears.  I have been cursed with ears that are pretty sensitive.  I think because of all the studio recording I have done over the years (tracking, mixing, mastering), I have learned what to listen for.  I tend to be a bit over analytical.  Then there are those who cannot hear the difference between say a 128kbps MP3 and a 16 bit 44.1 KHz recording.  I actually wish at times that i was one of those people.  It's a lot less expensive!

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #1,480 of 46,499
If I had the cash, I'd try to modify an HD800 to relieve that aggressive upper-mid to lower-treble.  For example, I observed a big change from the older HD650 with acoustic silk (black) to the new metal mesh.  Perhaps that wasn't the only change, but it prompts me to wonder what damping or other mods to the HD800 might do to improve the treble. (Definitely no silver cable or bright amps!)  But that's probably covered in another thread(s).  

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #1,483 of 46,499
I really didn't hear any change in my HD650 over time.  They became slightly more comfortable to wear though.

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #1,484 of 46,499
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the HD650 I just received today. I was listening to some songs that I'm pretty familiar with today and noticed that in some parts, the sub bass doesn't seem to be able to extend as low as my W1000X and even my IE8's. Where I know there's supposed to be a sort of "rumble" on certain songs simply aren't there with my HD650, while they are there with my other headphones. Is this possibly because my amp can't drive them enough? I'm just using my Headstage Arrow 12HE, which people say is enough to power them properly, but I'm missing tiny little details in my songs that I know should be there, and am wondering if that's the reason..

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #1,485 of 46,499

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the HD650 I just received today. I was listening to some songs that I'm pretty familiar with today and noticed that in some parts, the sub bass doesn't seem to be able to extend as low as my W1000X and even my IE8's. Where I know there's supposed to be a sort of "rumble" on certain songs simply aren't there with my HD650, while they are there with my other headphones. Is this possibly because my amp can't drive them enough? I'm just using my Headstage Arrow 12HE, which people say is enough to power them properly, but I'm missing tiny little details in my songs that I know should be there, and am wondering if that's the reason..

Your amp?

I'd also try burning them in for about 24 hours first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back