Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #1,486 of 46,527
It's been a while since I put these on my head.  I've been listening alot at work with my RE0s and KSC75 using a Fuze.  The RE0s have such beautiful detail.

Man, it was quite a shocker going back to the HD650s.  The bass is huge!  Actually, maybe too much.  I'll have to try my HD580 back into my setup and compare (which I use to think did not have enough bass). 

I'm thinking about EQing the bass bump around 100 hz (just a touch) to speed it up some.  Anyone have experience using EQ with the 650s?

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #1,487 of 46,527
I'm using the HD650s part-time with my Cowon J3 currently. I've thought about bumping the bass freq, but right now I have it set at 80 hz with +6 db. I wouldn't call it tight, but neither is there distracting resonance.

I, unfortunately, have to agree with an earlier post by Panges. I'm not hearing (feeling?) some sub-sonics on some tracks. I'm going to have to make some adjustments and play around a bit more with my amp/DAP settings.

Quote:
It's been a while since I put these on my head.  I've been listening alot at work with my RE0s and KSC75 using a Fuze.  The RE0s have such beautiful detail.

Man, it was quite a shocker going back to the HD650s.  The bass is huge!  Actually, maybe too much.  I'll have to try my HD580 back into my setup and compare (which I use to think did not have enough bass). 

I'm thinking about EQing the bass bump around 100 hz (just a touch) to speed it up some.  Anyone have experience using EQ with the 650s?

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #1,488 of 46,527
I am currently using the HD595's but I am considering moving to the HD650's.  I know I will have to amp them properly but should I notice a large increase in sound quality over the HD595's?

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #1,489 of 46,527
Let me know how it goes with those adjustments. I'm going to try burning them in for a while and see how it goes. They really are nice and "laid back," as I found that I can sit and listen to them for a very very long periods of time. Last night, i found myself leaving them on and listening to them for about 4 hours straight, which I could never do with Grados or even the AT W1000X.

I'm also pleased to report that I'm not experiencing any "veil" with the headphones, but perhaps that's because I'm used to listening to Senn IE8's. The vocals on these seem to place you a bit farther away from the singer as opposed to W1000X, I would say put you about 6 or 7 rows away (sometimes more, depending on the recording), as opposed to having them sing directly into your ear; however, I only experience this on some tracks. One song I use to test out headphones in particular is sort of interesting- Five for Fighting "This Dance", where with my W1000X, the singer is in front of me, but with the HD650, it sounds like the singer is standing behind me.

I must say, when it comes to pianos, the HD650 sound a more natural. The W1000X sound a bit artificial and almost weird when the hammer hits the strings on the piano, especially in the higher notes.

Quote:
I'm using the HD650s part-time with my Cowon J3 currently. I've thought about bumping the bass freq, but right now I have it set at 80 hz with +6 db. I wouldn't call it tight, but neither is there distracting resonance.

I, unfortunately, have to agree with an earlier post by Panges. I'm not hearing (feeling?) some sub-sonics on some tracks. I'm going to have to make some adjustments and play around a bit more with my amp/DAP settings.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,490 of 46,527
Quote:
I am currently using the HD595's but I am considering moving to the HD650's.  I know I will have to amp them properly but should I notice a large increase in sound quality over the HD595's?

Suffice to say, once I received my HD650s, I put my HD595s in a drawer and completely forgot about them.
smile.gif

Compared to the 650s, the 595s are extremely flat sounding, IMO. They have good high-end detail, but they lack too much bass on the low-end. The 650s, on the other hand, are really sweet-sounding and have a large amount of mid-bass.

Keep in mind that the HD650s do require a decent headphone amp, unlike the HD595s. If you don't have a decent amp, then either invest in one or just stay with your 595s.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #1,491 of 46,527

Quote:
Suffice to say, once I received my HD650s, I put my HD595s in a drawer and completely forgot about them.
smile.gif

Compared to the 650s, the 595s are extremely flat sounding, IMO. They have good high-end detail, but they lack too much bass on the low-end. The 650s, on the other hand, are really sweet-sounding and have a large amount of mid-bass.

Keep in mind that the HD650s do require a decent headphone amp, unlike the HD595s. If you don't have a decent amp, then either invest in one or just stay with your 595s.

Thanks, Yes I mentioned I know they need to be amped properly.
Hmm, I think I will see if I can get a set to test out first and decide from there. 

Thanks for the advice.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #1,492 of 46,527
The HD650s need a good source more than they need a good amp. Source first.

Oh and ROB, the HD650 is a very clear upgrade to the HD595. I wouldn't think twice. I prefer the overall tonal balance of the HD600 over the HD650, but the 650 is a bit superior technically.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #1,493 of 46,527
Quote:

I agree that a good source is needed. However, without a good amp, you will get the infamous "Sennheiser veil," in which vocals will sound recessed.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #1,494 of 46,527

Quote:
I agree that a good source is needed. However, without a good amp, you will get the infamous "Sennheiser veil," in which vocals will sound recessed.

The infamous veil had to do more with the treble and is really no longer existent. It really only affected the older dark coloured drivers. The newer silver ones (for a few years now) sound different....and no veil. I did manage to hear the older ones at a local meet a few years back and did an A-B with the HD650s that I owned (newer silver) and did confirm, the "veil" was gone.

I never felt or heard that there was a veil on the newer HD650s....with any of my amps (portable or full sized)....at least with my ears and experiences.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,495 of 46,527
Quote:
The infamous veil had to do more with the treble and is really no longer existent. It really only affected the older dark coloured drivers. The newer silver ones (for a few years now) sound different....and no veil. I did manage to hear the older ones at a local meet a few years back and did an A-B with the HD650s that I owned (newer silver) and did confirm, the "veil" was gone.  
I never felt or heard that there was a veil on the newer HD650s....with any of my amps (portable or full sized)....at least with my ears and experiences.

For my own part, when I moved up from using my Asus STX soundcard as an amp to an M3, vocals moved up front and were much clearer and easier to hear. That's what I have always considered to be the "veil."

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,496 of 46,527

Quote:
For my own part, when I moved up from using my Asus STX soundcard as an amp to an M3, vocals moved up front and were much clearer and easier to hear. That's what I have always considered to be the "veil."

I would classify that classic under-amping. The recessed treble is what gave them the darker, slightly veiled sound (on the older ones). What colour are your drivers (how old are your HD650s)?

They can be quite insidious that way. They scale very well with better amplification and sources and can (if you let them) cost you a tonne of dough. But that's half the fun...the journey for better sound.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #1,497 of 46,527
Max F wrote:

Anyone have experience using EQ with the 650s?

I don't know if my minimum experience counts as experience but I do EQ the 650's  I'm using the computer generated EQ graphic that comes with the ASUS, Xonar STX.  The graph is like a lower case "m."  Out of ten sliders:

60Hz bump 6db
120Hz bump 8db

1kHz bump 3db
2kHz bump 8db
4kHz bump 6db

(All the above are approximations as there's no visual clues other than 0db and 20db.)

Hope the above helps.
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,498 of 46,527

Quote:

Oh and ROB, the HD650 is a very clear upgrade to the HD595. I wouldn't think twice. I prefer the overall tonal balance of the HD600 over the HD650, but the 650 is a bit superior technically.

I have a few sources around to play with.  I was thinking about the HD600's also but figured they may be closer to the HD595's then the HD650's.  I guess I will have to wait and see...

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #1,499 of 46,527

Quote:
I have a few sources around to play with.  I was thinking about the HD600's also but figured they may be closer to the HD595's then the HD650's.  I guess I will have to wait and see...

My advice would be to go for the HD600, especially if you don't have an amazing setup and aren't planning to get an aftermarket cable for the HD650. I think the HD600 is the more neutral and accurate can in stock form.

Quote:

Yes, the amp is important, but if I were to do it all over again, I would have upgraded my source before my amp for the HD650s. I owned a Rockhopper M^3+Sigma-11 (with a lot of opamps) and the STX + ST (once again with a bunch of opamps...see profile). Changing from the STX's DAC to an external one yielded more improvement than switching from its amp to the M^3.

BTW, the M^3 is an incredible amp (with the Sigma-11), one of the best under a grand IMO. The STX is a subpar source/transport though, regardless of the opamp. The Musiland 02US is significantly better and cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back