Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #1,441 of 46,514

Quote:
 This just sounds right to me. Like just-right porridge.

Lol. I feel exactly the same way, though I've never pictured myself as Goldilocks. I've tried so many headphones and the only two that seem halfway right are the HD595 and HD650, all the others being just too bright for me. It's interesting that my two favourite headphones are both from the same manufacturer (purely by chance; there's no brand loyalty); but if you check the frequency response of the two phones there's a remarkable similarity above 1khz, too much for it to be mere coincidence. Sennheiser's up-market products definitely have a brand sound, and while they can manipulate that sound to different effect and for different markets, it remains true to their in-house philosophy.

graphCompare.php

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #1,442 of 46,514
From what I've read, the LCD-2 seem interesting to me as well.  Anyone in the San Francisco bay area want to offer me a listen?  

I found the HD650 clearly falling a bit short in most ways compared to the HD800, except for that excessive lower treble.  Net result is that the HD650 is more enjoyable, if less analytically revealing.  Definitely a bargain.  

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #1,443 of 46,514
Whenever I spend a little time using only my ER-4S then move back to my HD-650s, I am reminded of why I dislike them: they lack detail, the soundstage is recessed, and the overriding characteristic of the sound is 'flabby bass'. Not great.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #1,444 of 46,514

Quote:
Whenever I spend a little time using only my ER-4S then move back to my HD-650s, I am reminded of why I dislike them: they lack detail, the soundstage is recessed, and the overriding characteristic of the sound is 'flabby bass'. Not great.

Ofc the Sennheiser HD650's are going to sound better. They are 2x the price of the ER-4S ^_^

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #1,445 of 46,514
@ katalyst, I don't much care for the IEM/HD650 comparison either. Like David M implied, it's pretty much a DUH. Even with my triple-drive Shures, they have detail and the bass is pretty deep and tight when fed by my Headstage Arrow, but they lose big in the definition/separation department. Example: cymbals get absolutely smashed on the Shures where on the Senns, they're well defined.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #1,446 of 46,514
Hey folks,

I've had my HD650s for a couple of weeks now. I'm getting into them and enjoying in multiple different surroundings and with different sources.

I have one concern and I'm hoping someone can set me straight or provide some advice. Once in a while, I'll be sitting listening and I'll turn or tilt my head a certain way and the right driver crackles or cuts out a little bit. From what I can tell, the cable is fully seated. A little jiggle sets things right for a couple of hours, but it's a little disconcerting given I've only had them two weeks. The same thing happened to my old 535s but to a much worse extent. Which had me a little leery about a new set of Senns.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any tips?

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #1,447 of 46,514

Quote:
Hey folks,

I've had my HD650s for a couple of weeks now. I'm getting into them and enjoying in multiple different surroundings and with different sources.

I have one concern and I'm hoping someone can set me straight or provide some advice. Once in a while, I'll be sitting listening and I'll turn or tilt my head a certain way and the right driver crackles or cuts out a little bit. From what I can tell, the cable is fully seated. A little jiggle sets things right for a couple of hours, but it's a little disconcerting given I've only had them two weeks. The same thing happened to my old 535s but to a much worse extent. Which had me a little leery about a new set of Senns.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any tips?

First unplug the cable on the right side.  Take a spoon.  On the right one try prying it open, a spoon will do it easily without scratching or nicking the paint.  Once you have it open, take a look to see that the driver is set in right.  Somehow on my right side, ironically same as you, the right side was loose causing the cable plug to not sit in right.  Somehow must have happened when I was transporting the HD650s while moving.

If not, take the driver out, turn over and look at the membrane.  Maybe some dust or something is in there.  Give it a gentle blow to clean it up.  

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #1,448 of 46,514
Yikes. Sounds a little invasive. Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like I could have a similar issue. Although, based on inspection it seems the driver is seated well and the spring terminals seem to be lined up with the cable holes, but I'll check things out. Where exactly do I pry with the spoon?

Quote:
First unplug the cable on the right side.  Take a spoon.  On the right one try prying it open, a spoon will do it easily without scratching or nicking the paint.  Once you have it open, take a look to see that the driver is set in right.  Somehow on my right side, ironically same as you, the right side was loose causing the cable plug to not sit in right.  Somehow must have happened when I was transporting the HD650s while moving.

If not, take the driver out, turn over and look at the membrane.  Maybe some dust or something is in there.  Give it a gentle blow to clean it up.  

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #1,450 of 46,514

Quote:

That sounds like a problem with the amp driving them and maybe the cable is stock, not silver like a Zu Mobius cable.  Takes more to drive an HD650 then ER-4S and the HD650 stock cable sucks.

Edit-Well looking I just noticed, only one post and no profile listing of HP amps or anything to make a suggestion on to address his issue with the 650s.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #1,451 of 46,514
loving my HD650's paired up with the Woo Audio 3
smily_headphones1.gif

They're really starting to open up now. I've only got about 45 or so hours on them, but so far, I'm pretty impressed with what these puppies got to offer. 

I did some quick side by side A/B testing of the HD650's to the Beyer DT990/600's, and now i feel the soundstage on both headphones differs in a unique kind of way.  The beyer's have marginally wider room to breathe / intake the instrumentals and directional flow of where the music is coming from and give it a more speaker style presentation -- the Senn's on the other hand are well coordinated, well orchestrated, give it a gentle push; with smooth dynamics and quite musical with lots of rhythm and groove to it.  Kinda hard to explain.. but Senn users know what I'm talking about
smily_headphones1.gif
  They both are great in the soundstage areas[with the nudge to the beyers because of their wider angles and having loads of rumbling space to let wander off freely into the mystic clear blue sky] , the beyer 880 and 990's are really awesome for movies and games, but i could care less about them when it comes to music. I found them too shrill, artificially coloured(mostly the 990) with ear piercing highs.  The Senn's just do everything right for me, not to mention the butter soft mid-range which leaves any person with nice equipment slack jawed.  And best of all....... i can listen to these puppies for days and days without any fatiguing.  Which happens quite a bit from the beyers within the first hour. 

But the thing i love about Senn is that they don't clown around with high end audio. You get quality as it's intended to be heard. You're not playing just the music, the music is becoming one with you; and you don't even have to worry about anything else(meaning no equalizing, nothing out of balance, nothing too over-the-top... It's just about right from top to bottom) I truly respect companies like Sennheiser, they actually know what they're doing; instead of 'beyerdynamic' who just clowns around by raising unncessary treble, not caring about their customers and just shipping out their products blind folded. Seriously, what kind of company is 'beyerdynamic' ?  You got a be a huuuuuuuge treble head to enjoy the 990's. Seriously.... one wonders how this headphone even got its way to the shelves.  

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #1,452 of 46,514
I tried these at a meet, now I need to get a pair. These feel like they'd be the perfect 'dark silent room on a couch' sort of listening, which I love.

The DT880s feel a little boring, but very nice after I settled in with them. When I get a pair, they'll stay with me forever.

The K701s felt like a direct upgrade to the AD700s, I'd buy them instantly over anything if not for the comfort and lack of gaming use. If the phones I buy aren't good for gaming, then I have to use the AD700s. I wouldn't want them to be similar in that case, so K701 is a no go for now.

That being said, I hope to own a HD650 soon.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #1,453 of 46,514
Pairing my newly received HD650s with my Compass for now, as I have a Talisman inbound soon, and well, what can I say, that midrange, wow. Never thought I'd be one for the Senn sound, guess I was wrong!

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #1,454 of 46,514

Quote:
Pairing my newly received HD650s with my Compass for now, as I have a Talisman inbound soon, and well, what can I say, that midrange, wow. Never thought I'd be one for the Senn sound, guess I was wrong!

awesome. Mr. JoboToTOTOTOlolololtotototololtoto finally got his HD650's ? 
biggrin.gif

Didn't you want the DT880/600 badly? What made you decide to get the Senn's instead of the beyers? Did you buy these puppies new or used? Would love to hear some impressions after some burn in
happy_face1.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,455 of 46,514
Yeah, at first wanted some DT880s badly, but then I realized that I wanted something with a smooth midrange, not so punchy bass and a tame treble, to be sort of like the polar opposite of my Gradossandros. They're used, and after only a few hours of listening are pretty much spot on to what I was after, they are awesome! Can't wait to pair them with some serious amping once my amp comes in 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back