Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #12,482 of 46,506
Quote:
I need balanced ones with just 1 xlr input not both. (sorry not sure if the ones with 2 ends are different?). Also probably want to spend about 100-120 on it.

Cheers

1 XLR, means you need a single 4-pin XLR. The ones with 2 are 3-pins. What amp are you planning to hook it up to?

At what you're looking for, you need to budget a bit more to include shipping... unless you don't mind a shorter cable or one that's used.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #12,483 of 46,506
Quote:
What do you think about the ODAC vs a schiit modi?

Honestly, they sound so similar, I would get the modi because it looks nicer and is cheaper and has awesome warranty. I think you could argue the ODAC is ever so slightly better, but I don't reckon you'd be able to tell with blind testing (I couldn't).

I'm undecided between the HD650s and Grado SR325is, but this discussion might have pushed me to the former. Heard the mids and highs are more precise with Sennheiser but Grado has a warmer bass, which suits my music tastes. I'm a bit of a newbie but want to step up from my  Sennheiser HD 558s. Will be worth shelling out as a decent cans will last decades (or, so I hope).

If you are leaning towards the Grados, be prepared for a very agressive and bright listening experience. It's Grado house sound to the max. I actually think the HD 650s offer a much warmer bass although it will have less slam/oomph. If you want longevity and the possibility that you won't upgrade cans for a good long time, I'd go with the 650s. If you intend on getting lots of cans to play around with, the Grados provide a very unique listening experience and is worth the investment. But hey, it's your wallet and your own opinions that matter. 
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #12,484 of 46,506
Quote:
I'm undecided between the HD650s and Grado SR325is, but this discussion might have pushed me to the former. Heard the mids and highs are more precise with Sennheiser but Grado has a warmer bass, which suits my music tastes. I'm a bit of a newbie but want to step up from my  Sennheiser HD 558s. Will be worth shelling out as a decent cans will last decades (or, so I hope).

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

My first two "serious" audiophile headphones were the 325is and the HD 650. I enjoy the Grado sound and they are particularly great for rock, but they are indeed fatiguing (and generally uncomfortable, I had to purchase the G-CUSH ear pads because I couldn't stand the L-CUSH ear pads for more than 45 minutes). Both provide engaging listening experiences, but for different reasons. The 325is are bright and in your face, which is a lot of fun for a while but you likely find yourself in need of a break within an hour. The HD 650's are warm, smooth and like others have said, "hug" you with their sound signature - it's like wrapping up in a big down comforter, you become immersed in the music. The HD 650's are probably one of the most comfortable headphones out there (certainly the most comfortable I have ever put on my head) and pretty much crush the Grado's in this category. I think people might say that the 325is are more detailed (at least in the highs), but I found the HD 650's to be just as detailed, just not as in your face or prominent. 

Ultimately, after I received my HD 650's I spent less and less time with my 325is, and I finally sold them just the other day. The HD 650 just became more enjoyable for me to listen to. Switching back to the 325is they sounded thin and perhaps "obnoxious." FWIW, parting with my 325is was a bit easier because I recently purchased a pair of SR60's so I can still enjoy that Grado sound when I really crave it. Like others have suggested, I would start with the SR60 or 80 (I started with the 80) and see if you really enjoy the sound. If you can do a direct comparison to HD 650's that would be ideal. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #12,485 of 46,506
Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of SR60's so I can still enjoy that Grado sound when I really crave it. Like others have suggested, I would start with the SR60 or 80 (I started with the 80) and see if you really enjoy the sound. If you can do a direct comparison to HD 650's that would be ideal. 

Just out of curiosity, if you started with the 80s, why did you recently get the 60s? Is it not a downgrade? 

I intend on getting one or the other to enjoy the Grado sound when I want, but I can't tell which one to get.  

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #12,486 of 46,506
Quote:
What do you think about the ODAC vs a schiit modi?

I posed that same question earlier this year. I ended up with the Audio GDNFB-11.32. From what I have read their really close, never heard either one. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #12,487 of 46,506
Quote:

I posed that same question earlier this year. I ended up with the Audio GDNFB-11.32. From what I have read their really close, never heard either one. 

i asked that same question earlier this year too. i ended up with the AudioGd NFB10.32. From what i have read they are 
really closed, never heard either one. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #12,488 of 46,506
Quote:

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I recently made the leap from 558 to 650… and, well, let's just say I can sell you a second pair of 558s if you want :wink: Amazing upgrade, never looked back… But, personally, I'm unwilling to deal with on-ear, so if I ever wanted to give Grado a go I'd have to jump much deeper in…

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #12,489 of 46,506
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, if you started with the 80s, why did you recently get the 60s? Is it not a downgrade? 

I intend on getting one or the other to enjoy the Grado sound when I want, but I can't tell which one to get.  

I actually stumbled upon an old school version of the SR60's being used as a demo at an audio shop. I randomly pointed out that they were the older model and they marked them down to $40. At the price I just couldn't say no since they were in perfectly good condition, so I snagged them up. Are they a downgrade from the SR80's? Yeah, a bit... but the price was right and they are still a great headphone for the price. I figured I'd use them more for portable use. Anyway, I think Grado's provide less bang for the buck as you go up the line. The SR60s are amazing for the price. The PS1000's... eh, unless you really love the Grado sound you could probably do better for the money. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #12,490 of 46,506
Yea... sorry if I'm late to the Grado-experience party, but I had a pair of RS-1's over ten years ago. And my experience with them was pretty the same as everyone else's with their Grados: very fun headphones to listen to, but the sound got tiring really quickly. 

Now, I do have a pair of HP-1's on the other hand... 
evil_smiley.gif
 but I actually never took the time to listen to them, because I want to keep them in as pristine condition as possible. 
tongue_smile.gif
 So I have no idea if they also have the same "tiring" aspect to them; my guess is no, because these were created by Joe Grado, whereas all the Grados people observe as "tiring" were made by John Grado. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #12,491 of 46,506
Woah... this thread is being taken over by Grado...
tongue.gif

So.... back on track. After some more extensive listening... my HD 650s have really scaled up another step going balanced. Just the addition of Gungnir alone already provided more transparency and made the sound much more resolving... subtly bringing out textures and nuances layered in the music. I can specifically attest to the big change this was because I even hooked it up to my E09K just to see how big of a difference the DAC would make. I was certainly not disappointed and was rewarded with more open sound with better separation... like someone opening a window so you can not only see more clearly outside... but you're not feeling, smelling and bathing in the light. Stepping up from my E09K to the Hammer of Thor... the music comes so effortlessly... my best way of describing this would be the equivalent of a Toyota Corolla accelerating to 100km/h on the freeway vs. a Ferrari accelerating to 100km/h. Both can achieve that speed... but the Ferrari barely breaks a sweat... and it's smooth exhilaration all the way through. Bass comes punchy when demanded, silence when needed, sparkle and energy when required... it really makes everything have much better separation to remove the "congested" feeling from louder volumes... but with the Mjolnir/Gungnir... it's just too easy to listen at higher volumes, especially since the HD 650s are so wonderfully forgiving and smooth. Even with so much energy, there is no danger of fatigue... just the danger of me losing track of time getting immersed in the music.
wink.gif

I'm in love... can you tell?
redface.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #12,493 of 46,506
Pretty excited! I just received confirmation that my kit shipped! Apparently there was a shipping error in which there is a 50% chance I'm getting a free speed ball upgrade! They seem like a very nice company and I'm excited to do business with them in the future!

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #12,494 of 46,506
Quote:
Pretty excited! I just received confirmation that my kit shipped! Apparently there was a shipping error in which there is a 50% chance I'm getting a free speed ball upgrade! They seem like a very nice company and I'm excited to do business with them in the future!

I wonder if they say that to 100% of customers!

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #12,495 of 46,506

Users who are viewing this thread

Back