Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #12,466 of 46,505
Just got my HD650's and have to say they're not "veiled" as others have described. They're not as detailed as my Westone 4r IEMS but are pretty close. Plus, they sound way more romantic/emotional (if you know what I mean) than the Westone's that I own. Kind of like the SM3 V2's that I had but with more clarity/detail and WAY better soundstage haha.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #12,467 of 46,505
Quote:
I just did comparison yesterday. Between my HD650 (with toxic silver cable) vs a loaner LCD2r2. A friend of mine is kind enough to borrow me a demo unit of LCD2 before i decide my purchase. By doing the comparison...now i convinced and realized how good HD650 really is. I must admit the lcd2 wins in term of texture/clarity of the sound. But i dont think is by that much. And tbh..some songs i played...i still definitely prefer my hd650. Although technically lcd2 might better in some ways..but what i dislike about the ortho's sound is that I found my self very hard to get the vocal hooked into my head. I just dont know why. Looks like the sound that came out from my left and right ears somehow they did not focused being one right in the middle of my head which made me difficult to get the sense of life-like vocal. I listened many hours but still i found it the same. Swapping to my HD650...one thing innitially i noticed was the soundstage much better. Wider. And the vocal was easier to catch and enjoy.

Yes, I understand completely. I basically said the same thing over on the HE500 thread.

"What I do know is that when I want to listen to music, I always choose the HE500. When I want to hear the vocalist, I grab the HD650. I will sell neither."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-proving-to-be-a-great-headphone-and-standing-the-test-of-time/4590#post_9379232

beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #12,469 of 46,505
WOW... HD 650 balanced... is seriously nice. Given I just stepped up from Fiio E17/E09k. But seriously balanced just makes these phones image much better
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #12,470 of 46,505
What's funny is that I thought these would look really old looking/dated when I saw pictures online before I got them today. But actually they look really cool/shiny and modern looking haha.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12,471 of 46,505
Jun 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #12,474 of 46,505
Quote:
I was recommended the ODAC in another thread as well so I am thinking I will go with it. I actually just got the HD650s yesterday. Already I am so blown away by them, more so than the LCD-2 (hence why I don't own the LCD-2s anymore). I just put the AKG Q701s on sale as well. I absolutely love these things.

Quote:
I just did comparison yesterday. Between my HD650 (with toxic silver cable) vs a loaner LCD2r2. A friend of mine is kind enough to borrow me a demo unit of LCD2 before i decide my purchase. By doing the comparison...now i convinced and realized how good HD650 really is. I must admit the lcd2 wins in term of texture/clarity of the sound. But i dont think is by that much. And tbh..some songs i played...i still definitely prefer my hd650. Although technically lcd2 might better in some ways..but what i dislike about the ortho's sound is that I found my self very hard to get the vocal hooked into my head. I just dont know why. Looks like the sound that came out from my left and right ears somehow they did not focused being one right in the middle of my head which made me difficult to get the sense of life-like vocal. I listened many hours but still i found it the same. Swapping to my HD650...one thing innitially i noticed was the soundstage much better. Wider. And the vocal was easier to catch and enjoy. Thou the clarity is not as clean and crisp to lcd2...but is enough satisfying me. For comfort level....the weight of lcd2 while on my head..is a bit too much. During 1st 20 minutes was fine...but after that i felt like the clamping was too tight as well. So for the comfort level....hd650 is WAY better than LCD2, at least for me. So now i am gonna return this LCD2 and maybe i will get the hd800 instead.

He told me to try the lcd3 as well...the sound shoud be improved from lcd2....well...for that price..it better does ! ...but no thanks
biggrin.gif

Everybody had me sold on the LCD2's, but you guys are gonna make me hear them before I make the purchase. I keeping hearing that the LCD2's are like the big brother of the HD650. I bought my first pair of HD650 in '06, before that it was HD600. I sold the 650's, bought Grados, Ultrasones, Sony's, Denon's, came back to 650 in  '09, never left my side again. I keep a pair AKG K702 to alternate, but, nothing can keep me away from 650's. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #12,475 of 46,505
So I'm listening to Audiophile voices and HD650's + O2 Amplifier =
eek.gif
Flabbergasted

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #12,477 of 46,505
I'm undecided between the HD650s and Grado SR325is, but this discussion might have pushed me to the former. Heard the mids and highs are more precise with Sennheiser but Grado has a warmer bass, which suits my music tastes. I'm a bit of a newbie but want to step up from my  Sennheiser HD 558s. Will be worth shelling out as a decent cans will last decades (or, so I hope).

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #12,478 of 46,505
Quote:
I'm undecided between the HD650s and Grado SR325is, but this discussion might have pushed me to the former. Heard the mids and highs are more precise with Sennheiser but Grado has a warmer bass, which suits my music tastes. I'm a bit of a newbie but want to step up from my  Sennheiser HD 558s. Will be worth shelling out as a decent cans will last decades (or, so I hope).

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Sennheiser has warmer bass. The bass of the SR325is is very punchy, but it doesn't extend quite as well or "hug" you with the same kind of warmth the HD650 does. Rather than greet you warmly, it punches you in the nuts. Which can be exciting!

Grados are very different sounding from other headphones. Never "jump in" to the Grado lineup at the SR325is mark, because they all sound very much the same, and you can't be sure you'll like the Grado sound without hearing it first. Just try the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads for $100, or the SR80i w/ L-Cush pads for $120. L-Cush pads are crucial if you want to hear what the SR225i / SR325is / RS1i are like.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #12,479 of 46,505
I would also describe the HD650 as being warmer. I have a pair of Grado SR 60i at work and I really like the sound for the first 20 minutes. It's powerful, in your face style. But it's fatiguing. I just can't listen to the 60i more than an hour. Exactly the opposite with the HD 650, you have to take some time to like them, and then, you can listen to them for hours!

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #12,480 of 46,505
...of all the Grado, unless you plan a mod, I would avoid the 325is.  It easily has the least bass presence.  I would audition the 225is or the PS500 first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back