Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #44,116 of 46,499
The pricing on replacement headphone pads reminds me of the funny ink printers. Oftentimes those InkJet printers are on sale for ridiculously low prices, kinda impossible for the printer manufacturers to even recover the cost, but I believe they make good money on selling ink cartridges.

I think it is a wrong direction. Headphone manufacturers should not follow suit on their pads.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #44,117 of 46,499
The pricing on replacement headphone pads reminds me of the funny ink printers. Oftentimes those InkJet printers are on sale for ridiculously low prices, kinda impossible for the printer manufacturers to even recover the cost, but I believe they make good money on selling ink cartridges.

I think it is a wrong direction. Headphone manufacturers should not follow suit on their pads.
This is not unusual. Think of the classic Gillette paradigm: razors are the ‘loss leaders’ and blades are the ‘profit leaders’.

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #44,118 of 46,499
More than the 1-2.5kHz dip, my main issue with Sundara is actually the 4-5kHz shout and bright upper treble which skews the tonality and reproduction of some mixes for me. The stick attack of drums is around 5kHz and Sundara boosts that a bit much in some songs like Porcupine Tree's Sound of Muzak for example. The snare in that song with Sundara has more stick attack than body & crack and that sounds unnatural to me as I'm extra particular about drum tones being a music professional. Also, the bright upper treble adds thinness to mixes which I don't really like and is also quickly fatiguing and a bit distracting since I often use headphones for cross referencing mixes when working long production hours. Of course, YMMV as per your preferences. :)
11442997.png

1618205009726.png

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #44,120 of 46,499
I can’t believe how expensive Sennheiser’s replacement pads are.

Having to spend $50 every 1-2 years on a $220 headphone seems kind of ridiculous to me.

And then people will complain about the AirPods Max's pads prices even though they're probably built to the best tolerances I've ever seen in a pair of pads, by a long, long shot, and use pretty sophisticated materials and memory foam :D.

If you're ready to use EQ an alternative for a longer longevity could be Dekoni's pads. They completely change the FR curve, IMO for the worse, but with EQ it can be brought back to normal. I also believe, but I'm not sure of it, that they improve the absolute response in the subbass by a few dB vs the OG pads, meaning that you won't have to EQ it upwards as much as with the default pads, which is neat as this is the only area where the HD650's distortion could be a problem if you listen at high volume and want to boost the subbass.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #44,121 of 46,499
Yup! I'm still waiting on confirmation on MoM but definitely seems like the one I borrowed is from the old stock even though it was bought this year. It'd be so much easier if MoM was mentioned on the box. I've already updated it in my review as pre-2020 revision to be on the safe side. Going by these graphs, I'm definitely intrigued and interested in checking out the revised version. :wink:

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #44,122 of 46,499
Let's keep conversation in this thread about the HD 650/6XX, please. Unless it's in the context of Sennheiser, all the talk about the Sundara (or any other headphone) should be in the appropriate thread.

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #44,124 of 46,499
I recently got a pair of 6xx, and I’m having trouble wearing them for longer than 45mins to an hour. My ears start to have pain. I’ve done some researching, and so far I have tried pulling the headband all the way out, applying some mild pressure on the metal parts to relieve the clamping pressure a tiny bit. However, I’m not sure if that is the problem.

i have pretty big ears, and the holes in the pads don’t seem that big compared to my other headphones. It’s like the top and back of my ears feel like they’re being crushed by the pads. I read an article and discussion about worn vs new pads. However, I can’t seem to find the dimensions of the original pads anywhere I’ve looked to compare to the ones on my pair.

So I’m unsure if purchasing a new set of official pads or trying aftermarket pads with more thickness/wider dimensions would make a difference in comfort or change up the sound in any disagreeable way. I quite like how they sound currently, but I will be unable to keep them if I can’t find a solution to make them more comfortable for longer periods while keeping them sounding similar. Can anyone here please help me?

Apr 13, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #44,125 of 46,499
I recently got a pair of 6xx, and I’m having trouble wearing them for longer than 45mins to an hour. My ears start to have pain. I’ve done some researching, and so far I have tried pulling the headband all the way out, applying some mild pressure on the metal parts to relieve the clamping pressure a tiny bit. However, I’m not sure if that is the problem.

i have pretty big ears, and the holes in the pads don’t seem that big compared to my other headphones. It’s like the top and back of my ears feel like they’re being crushed by the pads. I read an article and discussion about worn vs new pads. However, I can’t seem to find the dimensions of the original pads anywhere I’ve looked to compare to the ones on my pair.

So I’m unsure if purchasing a new set of official pads or trying aftermarket pads with more thickness/wider dimensions would make a difference in comfort or change up the sound in any disagreeable way. I quite like how they sound currently, but I will be unable to keep them if I can’t find a solution to make them more comfortable for longer periods while keeping them sounding similar. Can anyone here please help me?
If you bought them new, they have pretty strong clamp. You could stretch them a little overnight by putting some books, etc. in between them. Not too many, just enough to make them comfortable for you. Should only take a night or two before they are much more comfortable.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #44,126 of 46,499

You bought the HD 6XX new? If so, they should have the official Sennheiser pads on them, same as you can buy on Amazon.

I just measured the internal dimensions of my slightly worn pads and they measure about 40mm x 65mm. It looks like either Yaxi or Dekoni (44mm x 65mm) are a little bigger, but they'll both change the way the headphones sound. From the few reviews I've read, most people think the Yaxi sound awful, while the Dekonis are mixed.

Do you not have any room around your ears inside the pads? I have enough room to move them about a half inch up/down or front/back, which changes how they feel. Adjusting the length of the headband slider also allows me to move the headphones around my head a little more.

You were stretching the headband the correct way. I would not stretch them over books/Kleenex box/whatever unless you want to also flatten and wear out the pads.

I hope this helps and I hope they work out for you! They're great headphones that I've been recently "rediscovering."

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #44,128 of 46,499
I’m sorry, I purchased them used on here. I thought I mentioned that in my post, but I see that I did not. That’s why I was wondering how worn down the pads already are compared to a fresh set.
New pads have the same dimensions as old pads, except the depth of the pads. As far as the earcup holes fitting around the ears it will be the same; but the depth of new pads will keep the driver slightly further away from the ear canal.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #44,129 of 46,499
I am enjoying my HD650s on my Lotoo Paw Gold. I am listening to Stone Rebel, Goblins. It sounds sublime. The bass is popping and the treble is spot on. Not a hint of veil.

0414210743b.jpg

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #44,130 of 46,499
So would you all recommend trying a new pair of genuine stock Sennheiser pads? Or is there another aftermarket pair that is known to be more comfortable for people with larger ears while giving the same (or similar) sound? To be fair, I am trying to gather as much info from others that have already posted. I did do some searching through this thread and elsewhere. In this thread alone there are over 20 pages of results for the term "pads!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back