Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #44,086 of 46,527
So the DarkVoice and 650 combo aren't doing it for you? Do you have the Speedball upgrade?
That surprises me. I hope the second time through is better.
Of course I also thought that with the HD600's. :smile:
I do like the combo. I just find I like my other headphones more and the 6XX gets the least mileage.

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #44,087 of 46,527
I do like the combo. I just find I like my other headphones more and the 6XX gets the least mileage.
Fair enough. I am sure that I will be the same, in one way or another. Currently, my low impedance amp sees the least play time by far. I tried to sell it for a couple of months, but I didn't have any luck.

I think that now I will just keep a wide selection of amps and headphones and live with it. There will be toys in my collections that won't see any use for a month or two and maybe even longer and I will be okay with that. I may not be blown away by some items and that will be okay. In the past I was like if I don't love an item or use it regularly, then it needs to be sold so that I can move on to the next thing. I think I am starting to feel content.:dt880smile:

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #44,088 of 46,527
Fair enough. I am sure that I will be the same, in one way or another. Currently, my low impedance amp sees the least play time by far. I tried to sell it for a couple of months, but I didn't have any luck.

I think that now I will just keep a wide selection of amps and headphones and live with it. There will be toys in my collections that won't see any use for a month or two and maybe even longer and I will be okay with that. I may not be blown away by some items and that will be okay. In the past I was like if I don't love an item or use it regularly, then it needs to be sold so that I can move on to the next thing. I think I am starting to feel content.:dt880smile:
That’s a good point. Maybe I should just keep the 6XX even if they don’t get much use. I just don’t want 6 months later to be thinking I should not have sold them and end up ordering it again.

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #44,089 of 46,527
That’s a good point. Maybe I should just keep the 6XX even if they don’t get much use. I just don’t want 6 months later to be thinking I should not have sold them and end up ordering it again.
Just order the angled pads and adapter from china that takes like 2 months and you will never sell them too much time and money into it lmaooo im dumb

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #44,090 of 46,527
My direction now is if it's not broken and doesn't sound bad, I'll hang on to it.

You only lose money, when you actually sell it.:smile:

And I have bought SO much gear in the last two years I can't help but wonder if I didn't err in getting rid of some products way too fast.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #44,091 of 46,527
Finally bought a HD650.

Looks like a fairly old version right?

20210321_213007.jpg

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #44,093 of 46,527
Just got my new to me HD6XX's and put them on. Volume knob needs a boost from 11:00 to 12:30 (was using HD660's). Sound is similar, but different. :grin:

I am really liking this little amp (LD MKIII). I think the HD6XX's sound better, but I have to a lot more listening and comparing to do. Cool!:thumbsup:

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #44,094 of 46,527
Wow, this thread is quiet. Of course at 2,940 pages, there is not much left to be said. :relaxed:

Since I had bought an OTL amp I decided that it was time to re-buy the Senn HD6XX’s, shortly after I purchased the amp. I originally bought these headphones in the fall of 2017 and sold them in the spring of 2018. Always sounded dull and boring to me. Of course I had just bought my first amp (specifically for these headphones), an iFi amp.

What a GREAT combo these units are! The sound is very full, vocals are great and the bass is strong, but the Schiit Loki is in the chain too. I was becoming so fond of this combo I tried to do a reset. I have another tube that is very different and so I set up a set up a comparison:
  1. MAD Ear+ HDII (low impedance SET tube amp) into my Grado GH2’s.
  2. LD MKIII (OTL amp with adjustable gain amp) into the HD6XX’s.
The overall chain is laptop to BF2 to Schiit Loki to SE switcher to each amp. I really do like each combo, for different reasons.
The LD is thicker, smoother and bassier, although a little less clarity. I am really liking this sound.
Comparitively, the MAD is more clear, kind of bright and less bassy.

The price tags are also very different. Using Canuck bucks (I am in Canada), the used Senn HD6XX/LD MKIII combo cost me $575.00, landed. Very nice value package!
The new MAD Ear+ HDII/Grado GH2 combo cost me $1,900.00, landed. This package is nice and certainly has a clearer sound, but it is NOT 300% nicer! :smile:

Just goes to show that you that there are many ways to do tubes.

Overall, this combo was a great purchase! I am now also curious about the ATH R70X and the T1.2’s. I prefer these way more to the DT880's (600 Ohm). I don't know if my tastes have a changed a lot in three years or if the tube amp is great, but I am really liking these headphones this time around. It will be interesting to do some A/B comparo's against the HD660's.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #44,095 of 46,527
My direction now is if it's not broken and doesn't sound bad, I'll hang on to it.

You only lose money, when you actually sell it.:smile:

And I have bought SO much gear in the last two years I can't help but wonder if I didn't err in getting rid of some products way too fast.
If you keep it, you can “rediscover” it after leaving it out of your rotation a while. That’s always fun.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #44,096 of 46,527
If you keep it, you can “rediscover” it after leaving it out of your rotation a while. That’s always fun.
Agreed! I have been doing that with headphones for a couple of years. I currently have nine sets of headphones (one is in Pennsylvania awaiting Argonization) and I love not hearing a 'phone for more than a month and then putting it on. It is like getting a new headphone every time. :L3000:

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #44,098 of 46,527
Wow, this thread is quiet. Of course at 2,940 pages, there is not much left to be said. :relaxed:

Since I had bought an OTL amp I decided that it was time to re-buy the Senn HD6XX’s, shortly after I purchased the amp. I originally bought these headphones in the fall of 2017 and sold them in the spring of 2018. Always sounded dull and boring to me. Of course I had just bought my first amp (specifically for these headphones), an iFi amp.

What a GREAT combo these units are! The sound is very full, vocals are great and the bass is strong, but the Schiit Loki is in the chain too. I was becoming so fond of this combo I tried to do a reset. I have another tube that is very different and so I set up a set up a comparison:
  1. MAD Ear+ HDII (low impedance SET tube amp) into my Grado GH2’s.
  2. LD MKIII (OTL amp with adjustable gain amp) into the HD6XX’s.
The overall chain is laptop to BF2 to Schiit Loki to SE switcher to each amp. I really do like each combo, for different reasons.
The LD is thicker, smoother and bassier, although a little less clarity. I am really liking this sound.
Comparitively, the MAD is more clear, kind of bright and less bassy.

The price tags are also very different. Using Canuck bucks (I am in Canada), the used Senn HD6XX/LD MKIII combo cost me $575.00, landed. Very nice value package!
The new MAD Ear+ HDII/Grado GH2 combo cost me $1,900.00, landed. This package is nice and certainly has a clearer sound, but it is NOT 300% nicer! :smile:

Just goes to show that you that there are many ways to do tubes.

Overall, this combo was a great purchase! I am now also curious about the ATH R70X and the T1.2’s. I prefer these way more to the DT880's (600 Ohm). I don't know if my tastes have a changed a lot in three years or if the tube amp is great, but I am really liking these headphones this time around. It will be interesting to do some A/B comparo's against the HD660's.
Honestly the HD 6XX/650 are something else on a good OTL amp. I actually don’t usually like the HD 6XX/650 unless it’s on an OTL amp personally. It’s probably a combination of tastes changing and the tube amp. Tubes also just do something to them, really fleshes out the midrange and gets rid of that dry upper midrange they can have on many SS amps.

Honestly sold and bought these headphones numerous times and will likely only ever get one again if I get a good otl amp. The T1.2 is a different animal, it’s not as sensitive about being on tubes or not as the HD 650. Was harder to tell what amps I would prefer the T1.2 but it wants to be driven well and is revealing of amp/dac quality. Haven’t heard the R70X on enough different amps to get a handle on its amp pairing ability and what it likes.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #44,099 of 46,527
I want to go a Schiit stack. I guess here someone can help me. Is Modi 3 better than Ak4490 for Asgard 3 ? (didn't find many info on the forum regarding AK4490 dac) Also is a considerable difference in quality between Asgard 3 and Magni 3+ ? I'm thinking either Magni 3 with Modi 3 either Modi 3 or Ak 4490 with Asgard 3 .

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #44,100 of 46,527
Honestly the HD 6XX/650 are something else on a good OTL amp. I actually don’t usually like the HD 6XX/650 unless it’s on an OTL amp personally. It’s probably a combination of tastes changing and the tube amp. Tubes also just do something to them, really fleshes out the midrange and gets rid of that dry upper midrange they can have on many SS amps.

Honestly sold and bought these headphones numerous times and will likely only ever get one again if I get a good otl amp. The T1.2 is a different animal, it’s not as sensitive about being on tubes or not as the HD 650. Was harder to tell what amps I would prefer the T1.2 but it wants to be driven well and is revealing of amp/dac quality. Haven’t heard the R70X on enough different amps to get a handle on its amp pairing ability and what it likes.
I found some PMEQ settings I really like on my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017. Now, I am really loving the way the HD650 headphones sound out of this digital audio player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back