Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #44,101 of 46,499
I want to go a Schiit stack. I guess here someone can help me. Is Modi 3 better than Ak4490 for Asgard 3 ? (didn't find many info on the forum regarding AK4490 dac) Also is a considerable difference in quality between Asgard 3 and Magni 3+ ? I'm thinking either Magni 3 with Modi 3 either Modi 3 or Ak 4490 with Asgard 3 .

I Really enjoy my HD6xx with the Asgard 2 amp. They have the black ones on clearance. After some time on both the Asgard 2 and Darkvoice 336se I think the Asgard 2 is a bit better.

Never heard the Asgard 3. The newest Modi has the Unison USB so a much better choice than the internal DAC on the A3.

Also have a Magni Heresy and it's my third favorite of my 3 amps with the HD6xx. Doesn't sound bad, but A2 and DV are better.

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #44,102 of 46,499
I want to go a Schiit stack. I guess here someone can help me. Is Modi 3 better than Ak4490 for Asgard 3 ? (didn't find many info on the forum regarding AK4490 dac) Also is a considerable difference in quality between Asgard 3 and Magni 3+ ? I'm thinking either Magni 3 with Modi 3 either Modi 3 or Ak 4490 with Asgard 3 .
I would think the Modi 3+ and the AK4490 for Asgard 3 would be fairly equivalent DACs, with maybe a slight edge to the Modi.

And the Asgard 3 and Magni 3+ would be very close too.

With the Modi 3+ you could later hook a Raspberry Pi streamer or something as input via a Toslink SPDIF or Coaxial SPDIF. The Modi 3+ has an improved « Unison » USB interface. In general, the Modi 3+ has more options for changing your system later. It’s a separate box.

I would get the Modi 3+, in any case, and research the Asgard 3 vs. Magni 3+ subject more. But if you really would prefer just one box, then the Asgard 3 is the answer. Everyone has different preferences.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #44,103 of 46,499
Just a happy note: The sound quality of HD650 was given another upward notch after connecting an SOtM streamer to my pro idsd... wow. 👍

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #44,104 of 46,499
Hey guys! Here is my review of the DROP x Sennheiser HD6XX for anyone who'd like to know and read my take on it. Happy reading, cheers! :D

HD6XX Featured Image.jpg

HD6XX Studio 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #44,105 of 46,499
I can only say this headphone is the second best headphone i've ever heard.

I'd place it at the bottom of S tier which was reserved for the Utopia for now.

The way it sucks you into the music is unlike everything i've heard before.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #44,106 of 46,499
Hey guys! Here is my review of the DROP x Sennheiser HD6XX for anyone who'd like to know and read my take on it. Happy reading, cheers! :D

HD6XX Featured Image.jpg
HD6XX Studio 1.jpeg
Solid review, but you'll need to update your Sundara comparison to mention that there's been a revision in the last 18 months that makes the Sundara a fair bit more neutral with better bass extension.

Your comparisons read as valid for the older Sundara tuning, but the new pads change things up considerably.

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #44,108 of 46,499
Solid review, but you'll need to update your Sundara comparison to mention that there's been a revision in the last 18 months that makes the Sundara a fair bit more neutral with better bass extension.

Your comparisons read as valid for the older Sundara tuning, but the new pads change things up considerably.

Thanks! I did borrow a new 2020 Sundara from a friend (bought late Jan 2021) for the comparisons but didn't find that substantial a change in sound compared to the older one, so I tried checking the month of manufacturing but it wasn't listed on the box. I've read that the 2020 revision updated the pad structure a bit. I've requested a HifiMan rep to see if he can check the month of manufacturing of that particular unit for me. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find another 2020 unit to test and see if my impressions change. :)

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #44,109 of 46,499
Thanks! I did borrow a new 2020 Sundara from a friend (bought late Jan 2021) for the comparisons but didn't find that substantial a change in sound compared to the older one, so I tried checking the month of manufacturing but it wasn't listed on the box. I've read that the 2020 revision updated the pad structure a bit. I've requested a HifiMan rep to see if he can check the month of manufacturing of that particular unit for me. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find another 2020 unit to test and see if my impressions change. :)
Fair enough! The 1-2.5 kHz dip is definitely gone with the revised pads on a sweep, but it does remain tastefully bright-neutral, just a bit more Harman-esque in the mids.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #44,110 of 46,499

Hope you can try the HD 6XX with a tube amp. I love my HD 650 with my Megahertz tube amp, I also add my trusty QRange and Luftikus plugins..

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #44,111 of 46,499
Hope you can try the HD 6XX with a tube amp. I love my HD 650 with my Megahertz tube amp, I also add my trusty QRange and Luftikus plugins..
Believe or not, I love the HD650 from my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017, with my newly discovered PMEQ settings. Divine.

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #44,112 of 46,499
Fair enough! The 1-2.5 kHz dip is definitely gone with the revised pads on a sweep, but it does remain tastefully bright-neutral, just a bit more Harman-esque in the mids.
More than the 1-2.5kHz dip, my main issue with Sundara is actually the 4-5kHz shout and bright upper treble which skews the tonality and reproduction of some mixes for me. The stick attack of drums is around 5kHz and Sundara boosts that a bit much in some songs like Porcupine Tree's Sound of Muzak for example. The snare in that song with Sundara has more stick attack than body & crack and that sounds unnatural to me as I'm extra particular about drum tones being a music professional. Also, the bright upper treble adds thinness to mixes which I don't really like and is also quickly fatiguing and a bit distracting since I often use headphones for cross referencing mixes when working long production hours. Of course, YMMV as per your preferences. :)

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #44,113 of 46,499
I can’t believe how expensive Sennheiser’s replacement pads are.

I just looked them up out of curiosity and they’re a whopping $50 USD or $70 CAD. For basic cushions? That’s absurd.

I recently replaced the cushions on my A900s, and the official replacements from Audio Technica were $3.50 a piece. 7 bucks for the pair. And Sennheiser wants to charge seven times that?

I like these pads and I’ve heard the third party alternatives don’t sound as good, but this is just plain price gouging.

Having to spend $50 every 1-2 years on a $220 headphone seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #44,114 of 46,499

I just looked them up out of curiosity and they’re a whopping $50 USD or $70 CAD. For basic cushions? That’s absurd.

I recently replaced the cushions on my A900s, and the official replacements from Audio Technica were $3.50 a piece. 7 bucks for the pair. And Sennheiser wants to charge seven times that?

I like these pads and I’ve heard the third party alternatives don’t sound as good, but this is just plain price gouging.

Having to spend $50 every 1-2 years on a $220 headphone seems kind of ridiculous to me.
Don't ever buy Focal or HiFiman headphones then, because you will be Very unhappy. :smile:

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #44,115 of 46,499

Although I love my HD650, I have to say $50-100 for a pair of replacement pads on HD650 or HD800 is too steep. I think somewhere between $10 - $20 is a more reasonable range considering the cost of materials used.

I have no idea how much Focal or LowFiMan charges for their replacement pads, but from @Shane D 's replay I figured they have a more absurd pricing for pads. :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back