Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #44,146 of 46,526
As a lot of people will know, it's not just getting the cans loud enough, it's the power, ease and authority with which you can get your cans loud enough. That's where amps come into their own (plus the sonic signatures of each one).

A less powerful car will most likely travel at the same (legal) high speed as a more powerful car but the latter will most likely do so with much greater ease and may well be more enjoyable (Hope that analogy helps!)

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #44,148 of 46,526
Does anyone have microphonic issues with their HD6xx? I've noticed with multiple different cables (including stock) I have tried that there is a loud scratching noise when the cables touch each other or my shirt with even the slightest of head movements.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #44,149 of 46,526
Does anyone have microphonic issues with their HD6xx? I've noticed with multiple different cables (including stock) I have tried that there is a loud scratching noise when the cables touch each other or my shirt with even the slightest of head movements.

It depends on cables, some aftermarket stuff is quite imprevious to microphonics.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 21, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #44,150 of 46,526
I use the stock cable with the HD58x and don't personally notice any issues with microphonics. I do wear glasses though and notice squeaking noises whenever I move my head slightly, and that can get annoying.

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #44,153 of 46,526
So I have heard of Dekoni for a long while now. They seem to have good yet mixed reviews. Is it still best to replace the pads on the 6 series with genuine Sennheiser pads? Who here has used Dekoni pads and liked them? I was looking at the valour and suede options.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #44,154 of 46,526
So I have heard of Dekoni for a long while now. They seem to have good yet mixed reviews. Is it still best to replace the pads on the 6 series with genuine Sennheiser pads? Who here has used Dekoni pads and liked them? I was looking at the valour and suede options.
Yes - it is still best to replace pads with genuine sennheiser ones. The pads have a massive affect on how the headphones sound.

I have used the Dekoni pads and I hated them. Killed the bass impact, the tonality, and everything I love about the HD650.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #44,155 of 46,526
I have been using Dekoni Fenestrated sheepskin on Sennheiser HD-600 for almost two years. I like the feel and the greater thickness which puts the hp speakers a bit further from my ears - thereby widening the soundstage. I have not perceived any material change in frequency balance. (The Dekonis are used in conjunction with a speaker foam modification.)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #44,156 of 46,526
I have been using Dekoni Fenestrated sheepskin on Sennheiser HD-600 for almost two years. I like the feel and the greater thickness which puts the hp speakers a bit further from my ears - thereby widening the soundstage. I have not perceived any material change in frequency balance. (The Dekonis are used in conjunction with a speaker foam modification.)

That seems to be the widely recommended option for Dekoni pads. Aside from widening the soundstage how else does it change the sound?

Yes - it is still best to replace pads with genuine sennheiser ones. The pads have a massive affect on how the headphones sound.

I have used the Dekoni pads and I hated them. Killed the bass impact, the tonality, and everything I love about the HD650.

Well the HD650/6XX doesn't have much bass impact. It's quite light in the bass actually. The 58X and 660S (which I also have at the moment) have noticeably more/deeper bass than the HD650. I have not heard the HD600 so I cannot comment on those.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #44,158 of 46,526
anybody have one of their drivers just start crackling and go out?
Swap your left and right ear cables... Usually it is the cable and not the driver. If not - RIP.
Well the HD650/6XX doesn't have much bass impact. It's quite light in the bass actually. The 58X and 660S (which I also have at the moment) have noticeably more/deeper bass than the HD650. I have not heard the HD600 so I cannot comment on those.
I am not trying to say the 650 has more or less bass than other headphones. I am simply saying I tried these pads out a few years ago and returned them immediately as they destroyed the sound I love and made them sound... Less warm? All I know is I will never bother with any other pads besides the official sennheiser ones... Use which ever you think sounds best.

*edit* Looked up the ones I am talking about and returned in 2018. I could have sworn they were Dekoni, but I am looking at the manufacturer as "accessory house"... So they were probably some knock-off chinese leather pads... Still, the experience steered me away from using anything besides Sennheiser official pads.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #44,159 of 46,526
I am a happy HD6XX owner fir over a year now and love them. Was looking for another headphones with more bass to complement them, but they sound so nice that I keep delaying that. Anyhow, my questions are;

- sound will improve with a balance cable in a balanced amp, or it's a placebo effect really??

- what are the most similar fake pads? Not gonna pay for original sennheiser pads every year, sorry, will not happen.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #44,160 of 46,526
I'm quite new to head-fi forums, but I thought I'd post here to get any opinions, if there are any. I currently have the 58x and love it so much I'm considering also getting the 6xx. Is it a waste of money to own both? I don't have an external amp, but I heard it might not be that much of a problem for 6xx. I'd prefer headphones that contrast more or pair better with the 58x. Is it better to get an hd600 (especially considering Sennheiser offers better out-of-warranty support)? I've tried looking at reddit and some forums here, but if this is a topic already discussed, sorry about that!
Better get an amp, a dac and then something different like 660. That is what i would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back