Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #41,866 of 46,499
How is sub-bass response with the 6xx and the Magni 3/Modi 2? Decent? Or is better with the 58x? At the moment I'm currently using a pair if se215's.

The Sub-Bass is better with HD6XX I'd say. HD58X tends to be good in the overall bass, but sub-bass rolls off more than HD6XX, at least form my limited experience with 58X.

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #41,867 of 46,499
For those that listened to both HD 650/6XX and the Massdrop HD 58X Jubilee enough to form a fair opinion, would you say that the high mids/low treble are more relaxed on the 58X? I owned a new HD 650 for a couple of months a couple of years ago. I found that at times, depending on the artist/song, the mids were slightly too forward/bright. It was actually bothersome enough for me, that I would stop listening after a while. Again, it wasn't terrible by any means, but I think I'm sensitive to this general frequency range. Curious if the 58X would be better for me.

Also, I've read comments that the 58X sound grainy, which I don't like. I loved the smoothness of the 650. Is the grain really that noticeable on the 58X?

Thanks in advance for any sound advice.

Dec 18, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #41,868 of 46,499
For those that listened to both HD 650/6XX and the Massdrop HD 58X Jubilee enough to form a fair opinion, would you say that the high mids/low treble are more relaxed on the 58X? I owned a new HD 650 for a couple of months a couple of years ago. I found that at times, depending on the artist/song, the mids were slightly too forward/bright. It was actually bothersome enough for me, that I would stop listening after a while. Again, it wasn't terrible by any means, but I think I'm sensitive to this general frequency range. Curious if the 58X would be better for me.

Also, I've read comments that the 58X sound grainy, which I don't like. I loved the smoothness of the 650. Is the grain really that noticeable on the 58X?

It was initially shouty to me so It took me a long time to get adjusted to it because I was so used to having that high mid low treble dipped on what seemed like all my previous iems and headphones, now 650 just sounds rich and full like a good speaker.

Reminds me of the forward mid on the SE846 which sounds really nice after a while but I couldn’t keep because treble dead after 7khz.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #41,869 of 46,499

If you find the HD650 bright sounding then you may find the HD58X too bright. Based on your sensitivity of the HD650 mids you would be advised to steer well clear of Grado's and Beyerdynamics.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #41,870 of 46,499

I have the HD 6XX, bought it in November so it has over 40 days of daily usage. Don't know if there are differences between the 650 and the 6XX, opinions are split. Didn't hear the 58X either. What I know is that I also hate brightness in that region and I have zero problems with the HD6XX. I love it! Also, compared to the HD 598 SE, it is a lot more even along the frequency spectrum, with much better resolution. Very smooth and grain-free. What source did you use when you had the 650? I use FiiO Q5 / AM3A which is linear, doesn't add any warmth in the high-mids and still the HD6XX doesn't sound bright to me. With HTC 10 as a source it struggles more to drive the HD6XX, it shows more peaks. I also tried the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and its signature is a lot warmer and punchier than FiiO Q5.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #41,871 of 46,499
If you find the HD650 bright sounding then you may find the HD58X too bright. You would probably be advised to steer clear of Grado's and Beyerdynamics too.

He’s talking about the mids being bright, doesn’t apply to Beyer as their mids are actually often smoother and darker than Sennheisers mids, Beyers often have bright treble instead which is where the complaints come from. Completely different types of brightness than what he’s talking about on the HD 650. I’m not familiar enough with Grados. Haven’t heard the HD 58X, but I do have the HD 660 S and it a bit brighter in the mids than the HD 650.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #41,872 of 46,499
He’s talking about the mids being bright, doesn’t apply to Beyer as their mids are actually often smoother and darker than Sennheisers mids, Beyers often have bright treble instead which is where the complaints come from. Completely different types of brightness than what he’s talking about on the HD 650. I’m not familiar enough with Grados. Haven’t heard the HD 58X, but I do have the HD 660 S and it a bit brighter in the mids than the HD 650.

To clarify where I was coming from is if @LazyListener finds the mids of the HD650 to be too bright then I'm suggesting that he probably would not like the brightness (in general...but particularly the high frequency) of the Grado's and Beyer's. I owned Grado and Beyer headphones and while I liked the detail of these headphones I could only listen to them for brief sessions because the brightness was too painful to be enjoyable. Now that might just be me.

On a final note, I don't recall anyone describing the HD650 as having an overly bright midrange but hey it's very obvious that we all have our own unique hearing capabilities and sensitivities.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #41,873 of 46,499
To clarify where I was coming from is if @LazyListener finds the mids of the HD650 to be too bright then I'm suggesting that he probably would not like the brightness (in general...but particularly the high frequency) of the Grado's and Beyer's. I owned Grado and Beyer headphones and while I liked the detail of these headphones I could only listen to them for brief sessions because the brightness was too painful to be enjoyable. Now that might just be me.

On a final note, I don't recall anyone describing the HD650 as having an overly bright midrange but hey it's very obvious that we all have our own unique hearing capabilities and sensitivities.

I personally tend to experiment with modding and EQ, I found Beyers with the treble tamed are sometimes downright dark sounding. The HD 650 isn’t what I would call bright in the mids, maybe a little brighter than some headphones, but it’s not something I would consider bright. I do get what he’s talking about though as I have experienced a tinge of brightness on the HD 650 at times and on certain systems and it sounds like he’s sensitive to something about the midband, could simply be a sound presentation thing. These aren’t anything like say the AKG K7 series though, which are known for their bright upper mids.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #41,875 of 46,499

I own both the HD6XX and the HD58X Jubilee and the sound signatures between the two are quite similar in the high mids/low treble range. The HD58X is just short of sounding as clean as the HD6XX and the grain is only slightly noticeable in certain songs at really high volume levels. If you find the high mids/low treble response to be too high for you, I would recommend checking out the Monolith M1060 or M1060c, or the Audeze iSine 10 or 20, or the Audeze LCD 2 Classic to get the sound signature you're looking for. I own these as well and they are just as enjoyable to listen to as the HD6XX but have a warmer sound than the HD6XX with wider soundstage.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #41,876 of 46,499
The amount of people on reddit using 600/650s with a FiiO e10k or random chifi $40 amp is astonishing. Why would anyone do this, I imagine there’s even people driving HD800s with the E10k and complaining it only sounds alright but are convinced no difference in amping after that.

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #41,877 of 46,499
The amount of people on reddit using 600/650s with a FiiO e10k or random chifi $40 amp is astonishing. Why would anyone do this, I imagine there’s even people driving HD800s with the E10k and complaining it only sounds alright but are convinced no difference in amping after that.

After hearing those from a better AMP, I have to agree, those Headphones deserve a better AMP before they are judged

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #41,878 of 46,499
I own both the HD6XX and the HD58X Jubilee and the sound signatures between the two are quite similar in the high mids/low treble range. The HD58X is just short of sounding as clean as the HD6XX and the grain is only slightly noticeable in certain songs at really high volume levels. If you find the high mids/low treble response to be too high for you, I would recommend checking out the Monolith M1060 or M1060c, or the Audeze iSine 10 or 20, or the Audeze LCD 2 Classic to get the sound signature you're looking for. I own these as well and they are just as enjoyable to listen to as the HD6XX but have a warmer sound than the HD6XX with wider soundstage.
I've read the Monolith M1060 has a nasty 5khz resonance..

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #41,880 of 46,499

I occasionally notice some people posting about how they are sensitive to upper-mids. I wonder if LCD2C would be your headphone then? Because for people like me, their upper-mids sounds a bit recessed. Although I haven't heard the Elear, I commonly hear that the upper-mids has a bit of a dip as well.

But, you are right that it has forward mids. I personally like the forwardness, particularly with classic rock as the recordings from that era can sound a bit dull due to the mastering. It brings it forward a bit, making the sounds pop, particularly the vocals. Just more fun when sounds come forward in the region compared to flat, especially for those old tracks.

This forwardness makes it seem like that's how it should sound at times. I think though, mastering qualities creates different emphasis (or sounding de-emphasized).

Based on what I read, there's a split in where people are sensitive to. Some upper-mids, and others, lower treble. I think this split determines which is the preference between HD6XX, LCD2C, and HD800(S)

HD650 too bright? I find the HD700 much more enjoyable

I usually think of bright as 6-8k peak, but I guess people have differences in what constitutes as bright. It's interesting how some people can be ok with HD700 and 800, particularly the HD700 which looks peaky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back