1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. Tuneslover
    First off charging $49 for something that couldn't cost more than $5 to produce is outrageous. Then add another $75 for shipping for something that weighs next to nothing is unbelievable. Add insult to injury Sennheiser Canada doesn't sell something as basic as replacement ear pads!

Hey Sennheiser thanks for the excellent way you treat your customers...NOT!!!

https://www.thomann.de/intl/ca/basket.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. Deftone
    I agree the pads are way too much, I would like a couple sets of spares but not for nearly £100.

3. Tuneslover
    Last year I replaced my HD650 ear pads with the Dekoni Hybrid Elite ear pads. They are much better built and should last longer than the Sennheiser ear pads. The Dekoni pads will alter the sound of your 650's as they do slightly increase the bass which isn't a bad thing. Just don't expect them to sound exactly like the stock Sennheiser pads. Massdrop sells them for $34 U.S. and shipping to Canada isn't a ridiculous $75.

4. maxxevv
    Its avaliable on Amazon, you can see if you get a better overall deal from there instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Repl...TF8&qid=1543409974&sr=8-3&keywords=hd650+pads

5. Tuneslover
    Thanks for that, with tax they cost $71 Cdn which is roughly the same as the much better built (and longer lasting) Dekoni Hybrid Elite ear pads when considering the exchange rate. I once ordered a pair of replacement ear pads from Amazon that looked exactly like Sennheiser pads but they wouldn't stay locked into the cups and kept falling out. Got tired of that and threw them away. Pathetic quality for something so simple and inexpensive to produce, yet so vitally important. They've got us by the short & curlies.

riffrafff likes this.
  6. koover
    Interesting. Other then boosting the bass somewhat, what else does it do for the o really sound? More/less treble?.... etc.
    Thanx

7. Tuneslover
    The soundscape is more intimate (a bit more forward) and the midrange/treble might be somewhat reduced. It's really difficult to describe but the Dekoni Hybrid Elite ear pads do indeed change the sound but it is minimal. The basic HD650 sound is still there. I also have the HD6XX, which to me is slightly brighter sounding than the HD650, so recently I moved the Dekoni ear pads to the HD6XX. To me that combination works best. Furthermore I have the original HD6XX ear pads (which are still in really good shape) on my HD650.

KopaneDePooj and koover like this.
  8. koover
    Ouch! I believe these pads seem to be more suitable for the hd600 or even HD700 but that’s me.

I have the original HD650 with pads (a good 5 years old but in perfect shape) and would actually like a bit more treble. Reduction of the treble is not what I’d be looking for and same with the mids as they are the star of the show with the HD650.
    I’m glad I asked and also glad you were straight in your answer.

I’ll continue in my search to find replacement pads that increases the bass, treble, soundstage “just a bit” but always sounding like the 650. Small nuances is what I’m looking for but enough to know that you can tell just a bit of a difference.

9. tafens
    Strange. I ordered pads from my local Sennheiser site for SEK 360 or so (about £31) free shipping (sent from Gremany).

Edit: shipment was inside of EU, so that means no extra tax or customs fees.

10. Tuneslover

I need to correct myself, I have the Velour Elite pads (the base model), not Hybrid Elite.

5 years is pretty long for the stock Senn ear pads. I only had my HD650 for 3 years when I got the HD6XX and I couldn't believe how muffled the HD650 with the original ear pads sounded by comparison to the brand new HD6XX pads when I switched them. Appearance wise I thought that those 3 year old pads were fine but upon closer examination I noticed that they compressed much easier than the pads off of the brand new HD6XX. I had a brand new pair of ear pads for the HD650 that I bought from Amazon a year or so earlier so that I would have a replacement pair ready to go. However I don't know if they were "official" Sennheiser pads or not (they did look identical to the pads that came with my HD650) but they wouldn't snap snuggly into the cups and always kept coming loose and falling out. I threw them out and ended up ordering the Dekoni pads.

While the Dekoni pads definitely sound slightly different than the Senn pads I don't want you to get the impression that it's night and day different. It still sounds like the HD650 but ever so slightly different (it's not huge). I don't want to give you the wrong impression about the mid/treble either because it's not as dramatic as I might have given you earlier. I would recommend that you go to the Massdrop site and check out the reviews and comments section for more impressions of these pads. I'm not sure if Dekoni offers returns but I can tell you that I have no intention of returning mine. I'm still considering buying another pair as a backup, however almost 1 year later these pads look, feel and sound like the day I received them.

Also, if you're interested I have 2 posts in this thread found on Page 2,704...they are posts #40,548 & 40,552. Good luck.

11. koover
    Great. Thank you for your return response. Honestly you were fine in your explanation but to me, the slightest reduction in the treble and mids wouldn’t be what I’d personally want. But I may just try them out anyway as I know they’re great pads. You also bring up a great point about appearance as mine look good but I’d bet when I get a new set of pads I’d be singing a different tune though. Thanx again man as I’ll take everything you said into strong consideration.
    Cheers!!

12. Tuneslover
    No problem. I bet that you'll get exactly what you're craving with a new set of pads because they must have really compressed over 5 years. I noticed a difference right away with the 3 year old ones sounding very muffled and lacking in the higher frequencies.

13. DavidA
    The amount a pad compresses varies from person to person and if one has adjusted the clamping force. My HD650 original pads are about 4 years old but when I switched them with my brand new HD6XX pads I didn't notice any sonic changes, probably because my HD650 does not get much use, I've reduced the clamping force to very light since I was getting a head ache, and I don't store my headphones on anything that will compress the ear pads (omega style stands).

14. Deftone
    Yes i think if your are someone that doesnt need to bend the metal bands to relieve the pressure your pads will become very flat.

15. jimmers
    I didn't need to bend the bands and after 8 years the original pads are not flat at all and they are still resilient, maybe I have a peanut shaped head :peanuts:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    DavidA likes this.