Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #40,996 of 46,518
The key for the HD650 to sound awesome is a correct sinergy and amplification. In my experience, you'll need a relatively bright and fast DAC/source to offset a tube amp ( or a comparatively warm solid state one, moon 230had for instance) for the HD650/6XX to adequately shine. Thus you'll get the best of the two worlds: a super smooth and refined sound but also a great deal of clarity and quality treble. I don't believe burn in exists at all, btw.

+1

@Deftone, I have had the exact same problem that you have described with 3 or 4 different pairs of HD650. And like you I'm also listening to hard-rock and metal music. (I imagine that we are more affected by the peak at 3Khz because of the heavy guitars..)

I have a tried 'unsuccessfully' a combination of many Amps and DACs with the HD650 until recently when I bought the Audio-gd R2R11 and the new Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp. With my new setup, I'm not bothered anymore by the peak at 3Khz and the synergy with the Hd6XX is great. You should try the Cavalli Tube Hybrid with your HD650 if you have the budget. ($250 on Massdrop)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #40,997 of 46,518
There does seem to be a very very slight change from driver burn in measurements but I think I’ve found where the magic happens, you will see the dip around 1-3khz ( my problem area) and higher that happens when pads age. Taken from Rin Chois blog.

(New pads)
DAEEB5E6-FA97-438C-8BF3-B6A3235CAA79.jpeg

(1+ year old pads)
EA015103-2A27-4A73-8467-94B1FE3F88A6.jpeg

“Now everything makes sense: While the physical transformation of a transducer is occurring very slowly in an almost inaudible fashion, the ear cushions age relatively faster, thus making more noticeable change in the tonality. The still-firm new cushions sink deeper into the head's shape with repeated usage, and consequently, bring the transducer closer to the listener's ear.

This is such an ingenious fine-tuning technique, almost like of a musical instrument. As HD650 ages, its timbre will turn from a pronounced treble to a laid-back bass, which is a well-known sonic signature of Sennheiser. Now I can never say HD650 does not break-in.”

http://rinchoi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/introduction-it-is-generally-known-that.html?m=1

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #40,998 of 46,518
+1

@Deftone, I have had the exact same problem that you have described with 3 or 4 different pairs of HD650. And like you I'm also listening to hard-rock and metal music. (I imagine that we are more affected by the peak at 3Khz because of the heavy guitars..)

I have a tried 'unsuccessfully' a combination of many Amps and DACs with the HD650 until recently when I bought the Audio-gd R2R11 and the new Cavalli CTH amp. With my new setup, I'm not bothered anymore by the peak at 3Khz and the synergy with the Hd6XX is just mindblowing. You should try the Cavalli CTH with your HD650 if you have the budget. ($250 on Massdrop)

After 10 years on Head-Fi, I now finally understand the hype around the HD650 :wink:

Yes I do listen to only hard rock and metal and issue is indeed with the guitars on a lot of recordings are just too lively and hot but some are fine.

Thanks I will look in to the Cavali, I’m trying to try as much equipment as I can at the moment.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #40,999 of 46,518
Yes I do listen to only hard rock and metal and issue is indeed with the guitars on a lot of recordings are just too lively and hot but some are fine.

Thanks I will look in to the Cavali, I’m trying to try as much equipment as I can at the moment.

Oh man the new Cavalli Tube Hybrid is a must with the HD650. Nothing against Schiit, but I have owned the Valhalla 2 in the past and to my ears the CTH is a better match with the HD650. The CTH almost makes the HD650 sound like a STAX headphones, no joke!

And your point about the ear pads does also make sense.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #41,000 of 46,518
Cavalli CTH

It a Massdrop CTH, not a Cavalli CTH. The "C" in "CTH" is for Cavalli
Cavalli Tube Hybrid.

I've read many good reports on the CTH, especially with the 650. I recommend reading the CTH threads for discussion how various tubes affect the sound.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #41,001 of 46,518
There does seem to be a very very slight change from driver burn in measurements but I think I’ve found where the magic happens, you will see the dip around 1-3khz ( my problem area) and higher that happens when pads age. Taken from Rin Chois blog.

(New pads)

(1+ year old pads)

“Now everything makes sense: While the physical transformation of a transducer is occurring very slowly in an almost inaudible fashion, the ear cushions age relatively faster, thus making more noticeable change in the tonality. The still-firm new cushions sink deeper into the head's shape with repeated usage, and consequently, bring the transducer closer to the listener's ear.

This is such an ingenious fine-tuning technique, almost like of a musical instrument. As HD650 ages, its timbre will turn from a pronounced treble to a laid-back bass, which is a well-known sonic signature of Sennheiser. Now I can never say HD650 does not break-in.”

http://rinchoi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/introduction-it-is-generally-known-that.html?m=1

Honestly I don’t like any of the HD 6xx family with fresh pads, I make sure to break the pads and headband in a bit by stretching them a bit over multiple books to a width that is slightly wider than my head when not in use for a few days, this helps fix the bit of the unevenness they have with new pads and eases up their initial clamp.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #41,002 of 46,518
I've posted here before, commenting on my ongoing project, comparing a pair of modded HD650s to stock ones. Until this started months ago, I'd never heard the HD650, and I still haven't heard the stock ones, having done all my initial listening on the modded pair.

Along the way, I obtained a new Woo WA3 OTL tube amp (killer amp). Right now I'm hearing the modded HD650s on the Woo. Have to say, this is some of the best headphone sound I've ever heard...it's really turning my head around. There's nothing overtly impressive or attention-getting about what I'm hearing. I've heard deeper, more impactful bass; bigger/more spacious soundstaging; better dynamics. But those distinctions matter little, because this combination is so musical: rich in detail, top to bottom (and especially in the all important mids); lacking any frequency elevations/depressions/peaks; easy to listen to & through. It's one of those headphones that makes me forget all about flashy sonic qualities & just hear music.

Still have no idea how the stock HD650 will sound vs this modded pair--but already, I've gotten far more out of this Senn project that I could have guessed in the beginning.

I've heard a lot of audio over the years--big 2-channel living room systems as well as desktop/headphone audio--but this modded headphone + the Woo is right up there w/the best I've heard.

(writing this review will be fun)

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #41,003 of 46,518

(New pads)

(1+ year old pads)

In that case, you might want to try the Dekoni hybrid pads for HD6xx. I got a pair off Massdrop for mine, as I generally like their pads, but found them too bassy and not enough treble energy. So I’m back to the stock pads, but the Dekoni’s (hybrid with sheepskin and velour) May work for you.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #41,005 of 46,518
I would definitely not recommend the CTH at all, the internals are abysmal.

Sorry but I'm not looking at the interior of my amp when I'm listening to my music. I know that you are referring to this thread on Head-Case but I don't give a crap about what they think about Cavalli audio. At the end of the day I trust my ears and I know that this amp sounds better than pretty much all the amps that I have tried so far with the HD6XX.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #41,007 of 46,518
+1

I have a tried 'unsuccessfully' a combination of many Amps and DACs with the HD650 until recently when I bought the Audio-gd R2R11 and the new Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp. With my new setup, I'm not bothered anymore by the peak at 3Khz and the synergy with the Hd6XX is just mindblowing. You should try the Cavalli Tube Hybrid with your HD650 if you have the budget. ($250 on Massdrop)

After 10 years on Head-Fi, I now finally understand the hype around the HD650 :wink:

+1 on HD 6XX with the CTH for metal and hard rock

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #41,010 of 46,518
I really wasn't impressed with HD 6xx....I felt like my Fidelio x2s were much more fun...(using a magni 3) am I missing something?
I don't think you are missing anything since you indicated that you like the X2 since its "much more fun" to you which would make the HD6XX not as much fun. If you were looking for other sound qualities such as mids that are more natural or a easy to listen sound that is not fatiguing then you might be missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back