Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #40,726 of 46,506
A and B with a brighter headphone

Ahhh... well... You cannot A/B headphones, like that. Your brain needs time to acclimate to the sound. Some people confuse this with "burn-in". In my experience, whatever you spend most of your time listening to becomes the baseline for your brain.

If you really want to compare 'phones, you need to listen *exclusively* to one pair for a number of days (for me, it's 2 weeks) before making comparisons. As always, YMMV.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #40,727 of 46,506
Just joining this thread...haven't read all of it yet (but will tackle at least part of it).

Listening to a modded pair of HD650s right now. I've never heard the stock HD650 or Massdrop HD6XX. Have the stock earcups here & when I'm done deep-dive listening to the mods, will try them stock.

But here's the thing: I've heard about the HD650 for years but never managed to hear on until earlier this year (in modded form)--and I'm impressed as hell. Hard to pin down why this sound is so appealing: there's no flash or sizzle, no gimmicks, no concussion syndrome bass here. All I know is I put these headphones on, then a couple hours later, have difficulty taking them off. In the past month or so, I've put almost all my headtime into these modded HD650s, not my own beloved Ori or X2s.

It's all about the music, not the headphones...and these headphones are somehow giving me a very pleasing sonic "view" of all kinds of music. Haven't found a single genre that doesn't satisfy on these headphones.

Eventually I'll post a review on Head-Fi about this particular HD650 mod. But in the meantime: Sennheiser (and the fellow who modded these)--you have my complete attention.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #40,728 of 46,506
Just joining this thread...haven't read all of it yet (but will tackle at least part of it).

Listening to a modded pair of HD650s right now. I've never heard the stock HD650 or Massdrop HD6XX. Have the stock earcups here & when I'm done deep-dive listening to the mods, will try them stock.

But here's the thing: I've heard about the HD650 for years but never managed to hear on until earlier this year (in modded form)--and I'm impressed as hell. Hard to pin down why this sound is so appealing: there's no flash or sizzle, no gimmicks, no concussion syndrome bass here. All I know is I put these headphones on, then a couple hours later, have difficulty taking them off. In the past month or so, I've put almost all my headtime into these modded HD650s, not my own beloved Ori or X2s.

It's all about the music, not the headphones...and these headphones are somehow giving me a very pleasing sonic "view" of all kinds of music. Haven't found a single genre that doesn't satisfy on these headphones.

Eventually I'll post a review on Head-Fi about this particular HD650 mod. But in the meantime: Sennheiser (and the fellow who modded these)--you have my complete attention.
Curious about the Mod..is it similar to the coin mod? Can't wait to read your write up.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #40,729 of 46,506
Ahhh... well... You cannot A/B headphones, like that. Your brain needs time to acclimate to the sound. Some people confuse this with "burn-in". In my experience, whatever you spend most of your time listening to becomes the baseline for your brain.

If you really want to compare 'phones, you need to listen *exclusively* to one pair for a number of days (for me, it's 2 weeks) before making comparisons. As always, YMMV.

I'm the nut here that doesn't spend much time with any headphone so any difference between headphones is easy to notice to me. I usually will use 3-4 headphones most days and some times might listen to 8-10 different headphones on different amps and DACs. In a way my brain doesn't get any "baseline" since I don't spend much time with any one headphone. Its one reason I think I noticed the differences between my HD650 and HD6XX so quickly.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #40,730 of 46,506

I was gonna say nay... but yes, it took me a couple of weeks to really understand the differences between my current cans, for the longest I couldn't hear this reported "Sibilance" in the highs on my X2's. But after a couple of weeks after getting use to the HD650, I noticed the sibilant in the highs on some tracks. I also noticed how deeper the bass was on my X2 compared to the HD650 (and width). The HD650 sounds like (to me) as if your sitting in the recording studio at the actual recording. Only way I can describe it.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #40,731 of 46,506
Its one reason I think I noticed the differences between my HD650 and HD6XX so quickly.
Sorry if I missed your impressions/differences between the 650/6XX. Would you mind giving me your brief description between them? I was totally under the impression that they're identical. I got this impression while watching Head- fi TV when Jude said they both ve the same exact drivers/construction.

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #40,732 of 46,506
Ahhh... well... You cannot A/B headphones, like that. Your brain needs time to acclimate to the sound.

I certainly agree. Quickie A/B-ing is all about frequency response comparisons, the standard bass-mid-treble stuff. A couple evenings with a pair of cans reveals whether they can convey true timber, touch, texture. Successfully presenting real instruments and voices in space (or not). No need for flipping back and forth, YMWV.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #40,734 of 46,506
Sorry if I missed your impressions/differences between the 650/6XX. Would you mind giving me your brief description between them? I was totally under the impression that they're identical. I got this impression while watching Head- fi TV when Jude said they both ve the same exact drivers/construction.
My HD6XX is just a touch brighter and cleaner in the mid bass/bass than my HD650, also tried swapping ear pads to see if my old HD650 pads were worn out but it made no difference. I think there is another who also noted this slight difference so it might just be just manufacturing tolerance between units or it could be a silent revision to the HD6XX.

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #40,735 of 46,506
My HD6XX is just a touch brighter and cleaner in the mid bass/bass than my HD650, also tried swapping ear pads to see if my old HD650 pads were worn out but it made no difference. I think there is another who also noted this slight difference so it might just be just manufacturing tolerance between units or it could be a silent revision to the HD6XX.
Thanks for your impressions.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #40,736 of 46,506
Curious about the Mod..is it similar to the coin mod? Can't wait to read your write up.

Well, my ignorance of the HD650 and all its mods will really show now. I'm looking right at the modded pair, and all I can say is:
  • It's not similar at all to the coin mod--because the inside-facing foam has been removed
  • The spider cage has been removed/back of magnet
  • The outside facing perforated grill has been replaced w/a proprietary, purpose-built plastic baffle...intricate piece of plastic w/large perforations strategically cut out. This plastic component has a solid center core that fits over the (now-flat, absent the spider cage) structure around the magnet
  • I don't know whether the rear foam has been removed or not. Can't visualize rear foam on either the stock or modded earcups--but maybe that's because rear foam can't be visualized in the stock earcups...? (more ignorance on my part).

There's a lot going on in this proprietary plastic grill replacement--it's complex structurally & functionally. When I review the mod, I'll take pictures of the outside & inside surfaces of the modded earcups--but at request of the person who thought up this mod, won't be doing "gut shots" of the plastic grill itselt (ie, removed from the earcups). My review will focus on the sound of the mod, not the physical "how to" steps (which the owner wants kept private).

I gather there are many mods done on these headphones--quite a history of DIY "headphone voicing" having gone into it. However, my comments about other mods will be minimal at best, since I haven't heard any of the other mods, singly or in combination.

I'm at a relatively early stage in this process (start w/modded HD650; move on to stock HD650; the compare both to stock HD600). All I can say at this point is now I totally get why so many people like the HD650. It's a very appealing & accomplished design, sonically & physically.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #40,737 of 46,506
On a different note... I was going through my usual Playlist and decided to hear something smoother. So I tried my Jazz Playlist that I don't frequent to much. During play everything sounded sonically the same, that is until Miles Davis came on. A stream of tracks from his album Kind Of Blue, just literally FILLED my headphones (and the entire room) with SOUND. What a Masterclass of recording in this album. Worth a listen.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #40,738 of 46,506
On a different note... I was going through my usual Playlist and decided to hear something smoother. So I tried my Jazz Playlist that I don't frequent to much. During play everything sounded sonically the same, that is until Miles Davis came on. A stream of tracks from his album Kind Of Blue, just literally FILLED my headphones (and the entire room) with SOUND. What a Masterclass of recording in this album. Worth a listen.

I love that album.

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #40,739 of 46,506

Listen also to Tony Dagradi Live at the coloumns too to hear what is a good recording and mastering.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #40,740 of 46,506
I'm the nut here that doesn't spend much time with any headphone so any difference between headphones is easy to notice to me. I usually will use 3-4 headphones most days and some times might listen to 8-10 different headphones on different amps and DACs. In a way my brain doesn't get any "baseline" since I don't spend much time with any one headphone. Its one reason I think I noticed the differences between my HD650 and HD6XX so quickly.
You’re not a nut at all. I’m in the exact same club and do the same thing David.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back