Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #40,696 of 46,535
HD650 has rolled of treble, its not "veiled" sound. If you want to know what a "veiled" sound is place a few layers of cloth in front of any headphone and that is what a "veiled" headphone would sound like which is different from rolled of treble (HD650) sounds like. You can also read the definition in the "how to describe sound" in the help and getting started thread

Agreed! It's not veiled just having the treble rolled off and it's not so piercing to the ears. It definitely having enough details and certainly not at all veiled.
HD660S really sounds good on my Chord Mojo-Poly combo!

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #40,697 of 46,535
Agreed! It's not veiled just having the treble rolled off and it's not so piercing to the ears. It definitely having enough details and certainly not at all veiled.
HD660S really sounds good on my Chord Mojo-Poly combo!
Wow.. Didn't know desrcribing the HD650 as veiled to the Sennheiser community was such a sensitive subject. Lol.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #40,698 of 46,535
Wow.. Didn't know desrcribing the HD650 as veiled to the Sennheiser community was such a sensitive subject. Lol.
Its not a "sensitive subject" to me, just seems like there are too many "parrots" around and its getting old, LOL. The only veil that I like is veal to go with :wine_glass:

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #40,699 of 46,535
So as is stock.. Its veiled.

What does veiled even mean? There are other warm/dark headphones that don't share that characteristic. Veiled =/ rolled off treble.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #40,700 of 46,535
I believe some HD650 users using a not so capable Amp to drive it and hence it's underpowered and it sounds lack of details and dynamic.
Also synergy between gears also very important.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #40,702 of 46,535

There is a bi-monthly discussion of the v-word on this thread. Usually lasts several dreary days. :zzz::zzz::sleeping:

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #40,704 of 46,535
Try this. Select about an hour worth of music that you typically listen to (that you're familiar with). Be able to replay this identical list of music again.

Listen to the HD650 on a decent amp and listen to them at a slightly higher than normal volume level (measure the dB level with a meter if possible) for about 60 mins. Then switch to a fairly bright headphone, I don't know a mid tier Grado or Beyerdynamic, again at a slightly higher than normal volume level. Try to volume match the bright headphone (this is where a dB meter would be very useful) to the HD650 and listen to it for 60 mins.

After a total of 2 hours of listening to both headphones you should be able to establish:

1.) Which headphone you prefer.
2.) Whether or not the HD650 has this so called veil.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #40,706 of 46,535
@Quadfather Apologies if I came across a little condensending. I try to be funny and as usual end up putting my foot in my mouth. :frowning2:

Oh I took no offense, my ears are really acting weird lately actually. Sometimes I need a really bright headphone and other times the brightness just kills me.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #40,707 of 46,535
Oh I took no offense, my ears are really acting weird lately actually. Sometimes I need a really bright headphone and other times the brightness just kills me.

You're totally normal Man! That's why it's nice having 2-3 headphones that compliment each other or in other words gives you a bit of auditory variety. I love my HE500's but they tend to get lesser head time because I just prefer the less high frequency dominant headphones at this stage in my life. I listen to my HD650's and HD6XX pretty much exclusively now. I for one find the HD6-- line of headphones to be plenty detailed without suffering listening fatigue or down right ear & head pain during long listening sessions.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #40,708 of 46,535

That one is easy to get in my country and it’s very cheap.

How it will pair with Mojo? I will really have an improvement from the amo of the Mojo, I mean a fuller body signature?

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #40,709 of 46,535
Try this. Select about an hour worth of music that you typically listen to (that you're familiar with). Be able to replay this identical list of music again.

Listen to the HD650 on a decent amp and listen to them at a slightly higher than normal volume level (measure the dB level with a meter if possible) for about 60 mins. Then switch to a fairly bright headphone, I don't know a mid tier Grado or Beyerdynamic, again at a slightly higher than normal volume level. Try to volume match the bright headphone (this is where a dB meter would be very useful) to the HD650 and listen to it for 60 mins.

After a total of 2 hours of listening to both headphones you should be able to establish:

1.) Which headphone you prefer.
2.) Whether or not the HD650 has this so called veil.
playlist.jpg

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #40,710 of 46,535
Oh yeah! Time for a hit of crack on the HD650s.

0130181702e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back