Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #40,681 of 46,535
Is it common for the HD650/HD6XX to sound a little (and I mean a little) distorted when played at high settings? I have to set both my amps at either low (audio-GD) or normal (Black Edition) to get nice harmonics (with 0 distortion) on these cans. And that's not going past 12'oclock (volume knob) Not on every track just some.

Not at normal loud (safe) volume based on listening. Position of volume knob tells nothing.

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #40,683 of 46,535
Just wondering what a tube amp brings to the table versus a solid state amp when comparing similar power output. Or is there more here than meets the eye?
Power output is not usually the most important thing to consider with amps IMO, its the output impedance of the amp and type of amp design that has a larger impact in how a headphone will pair/sound with said amp. The impedance of the HD650 varies with frequency so some amps seems to pair or have better synergy with it due how well the driver is controlled by the amp and its one reason that many consider the BH Crack a great amp for the HD650

The at high volume levels (+85dB) distortion could be caused by: driver being pushed past safe levels, clipping of amp, source issues, and other possibilities. Get a dB app for your smart phone to get some ball park numbers (phone mics are not very accurate but for this purpose its close enough) so when you say loud and give a dB level it will make sense to others. FWIW my listening level is 60-70dB most of the time and 85dB is what most consider hazardous to your hearing if listening at this level for extended periods.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #40,684 of 46,535
I tried out the HD600 about a week ago, simply to compare and contrast against the HD650. The interesting part is, I can just barely tell the difference. It would be very hard for me to correctly pick the right one if I was blindfolded and someone switched back and forth between the two. Maybe I just don't have much experience comparing headphones as some others, but they really are that similar to me. To my surprise, the bass on the HD600 is much the same, although with extensive testing there is a tiny bit less sub bass. And the treble really doesn't sound any brighter to me than the HD650. I really never understood why people describe the 650 as gooey and too warm. Now, I did recently put brand new pads on the 650, and if I did a comparison with the old pads, I'm sure my impressions would be different. The new less compressed pads on the 650 make them slightly brighter with less bass hump, as measurements suggest. So for me, them being so similar, it's not worth keeping both and I decided to keep just the 650.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #40,685 of 46,535
I tried out the HD600 about a week ago, simply to compare and contrast against the HD650. The interesting part is, I can just barely tell the difference. It would be very hard for me to correctly pick the right one if I was blindfolded and someone switched back and forth between the two. Maybe I just don't have much experience comparing headphones as some others, but they really are that similar to me. To my surprise, the bass on the HD600 is much the same, although with extensive testing there is a tiny bit less sub bass. And the treble really doesn't sound any brighter to me than the HD650. I really never understood why people describe the 650 as gooey and too warm. Now, I did recently put brand new pads on the 650, and if I did a comparison with the old pads, I'm sure my impressions would be hdifferent. The new less compressed pads on the 650 make them slightly brighter with less bass hump, as measurements suggest. So for me, them being so similar, it's not worth keeping both and I decided to keep just the 650.
How does it compare to your hifiman?

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #40,686 of 46,535
How does it compare to your hifiman?

HE-4XX is brighter with more treble and more open sounding than the HD650/6XX. Being a planar, they have more bass extension, but the bass is also flatter so sometimes it sounds thin. I use EQ a lot, and I find the HE-4XX is very capable in the sub-bass once you boost it. 4XX wins in the sub-bass department hands down, and that is just the nature of planar vs. dynamic drivers. You may prefer the HE-4XX if you want more treble as well, but it's also less even than the 650. Tonally, I prefer the 650, they have a natural sound I prefer over a lot of headphones. Call me an HD650 shill, but I actually prefer them to the HD800S (shocking I know!). I feel the HD800S have a far away and distant sound and looses out on some of that midrange detail and intimacy the HD650/600 have.

I find the 4XX to compliment the 650 very well. The 4XX's are sharp and open with great sub bass, while the 650 is natural, smoother and more true to the recording IMO.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #40,687 of 46,535
I tried out the HD600 about a week ago, simply to compare and contrast against the HD650. The interesting part is, I can just barely tell the difference. It would be very hard for me to correctly pick the right one if I was blindfolded and someone switched back and forth between the two. Maybe I just don't have much experience comparing headphones as some others, but they really are that similar to me. To my surprise, the bass on the HD600 is much the same, although with extensive testing there is a tiny bit less sub bass. And the treble really doesn't sound any brighter to me than the HD650. I really never understood why people describe the 650 as gooey and too warm. Now, I did recently put brand new pads on the 650, and if I did a comparison with the old pads, I'm sure my impressions would be different. The new less compressed pads on the 650 make them slightly brighter with less bass hump, as measurements suggest. So for me, them being so similar, it's not worth keeping both and I decided to keep just the 650.

I don't quite know why some like me and a few others find the HD600 and HD650 so different and then many like you have a very different impression that they are quite similar. The differences you describe are what I find between my HD650 and HD6XX and is fairly easy to notice the difference since almost everyone who has heard both quickly noticed they differences. The differences between my HD650 and HD6XX remains even after switching the ear pads. I'm wondering if the amp that is used makes the differences easier to notice since on most SS amps it tends to clean up the mid bass / bass of the HD650 but with a warm tube amp (Elise w/ stock tubes)the HD650 does get gooey and too warm to me while the HD600 is just about right.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #40,688 of 46,535
I am still trying to find the veil, but have not been successful.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #40,690 of 46,535
A and B with a brighter headphone

Do AKG k812 headphones count? I also have Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. Just because treble isn't in your face, doesn't get me to say that the headphone has a veil. There are times I want aggressive treble, and then there are times when I want the exact opposite of that.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #40,692 of 46,535
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #40,693 of 46,535
O.o not sure what that meant. The popular HD 650 veil is not real?

It's not. People want lots of treble extension on a headphone that's warm and has rolled off treble...go figure. You can either mod the headphones even by using different earpads or you can spend a ton of money on super powerful amplification that pairs well with the 650s to get that high end extension but it changes their characteristics way too much to be enjoyable imo.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #40,694 of 46,535
It's not. People want lots of treble extension on a headphone that's warm and has rolled off treble...go figure. You can either mod the headphones even by using different earpads or you can spend a ton of money on super powerful amplification that pairs well with the 650s to get that high end extension but it changes their characteristics way too much to be enjoyable imo.
So as is stock.. Its veiled.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #40,695 of 46,535
So as is stock.. Its veiled.
HD650 has rolled of treble, its not "veiled" sound. If you want to know what a "veiled" sound is place a few layers of cloth in front of any headphone and that is what a "veiled" headphone would sound like which is different from rolled of treble (HD650) sounds like. You can also read the definition in the "how to describe sound" in the help and getting started thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back