Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #40,337 of 46,499
I have a pair of hd650 bought this year 2017, and a pair of the massdrop hd6xxx and they are so close to sounding the same, I cannot hear a difference.
As usual everyone hears differently and has different opinions. I would bet some people would say they can hear a difference between a older hd650 and a pair produced this year.
When I originally ordered the HD6XX my plan was to mod the HD6XX and keep the HD650 stock to see what the mods do to and if its a better, just different or a combination of better & different but since they sound quite different to others and not just me I'm rethinking my original plan to mod the HD6XX and mod the HD650 instead since the HD6XX does sound better to me..

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #40,338 of 46,499
Good day everyone,
I just purchased an HD 650 and I currently run it out of a Burson DA160 DAC + Burson Soloist AMP.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of an amp that is $500 or less that would be an upgrade?

Thanks!
I use my HD650 driven by an older Burson160 (amp only) as my bedroom setup. I think it sounds fantastic! You could spend a lot more money for very little sound improvement. The Bursons pair very nicely with the Senn 600/800 lines.

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #40,339 of 46,499
I pulled the trigger on the hd650 without even trying the hd660s.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #40,340 of 46,499
I also think the clamping pressure is perfect...

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #40,341 of 46,499
14153.gif

Click on the GIF, I move.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #40,342 of 46,499
When I originally ordered the HD6XX my plan was to mod the HD6XX and keep the HD650 stock to see what the mods do to and if its a better, just different or a combination of better & different but since they sound quite different to others and not just me I'm rethinking my original plan to mod the HD6XX and mod the HD650 instead since the HD6XX does sound better to me..

Personally of the opinion that once you mod a headphone you've started down the path (however long) of selling it. Though I do have a silver cable installed on my hd-650, which some might argue is the same thing. I will say that we compared my silver cabled hd-650 with a modded 650 and I found the cable made more of a difference than the mods that were performed. I can't say I remember how the other pair was modded, though.

Dec 21, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #40,343 of 46,499
Personally of the opinion that once you mod a headphone you've started down the path (however long) of selling it. Though I do have a silver cable installed on my hd-650, which some might argue is the same thing. I will say that we compared my silver cabled hd-650 with a modded 650 and I found the cable made more of a difference than the mods that were performed. I can't say I remember how the other pair was modded, though.
I've tried my HD650 without the foam padding and it made a really big change in the highs (like boosting the EQ 3-5dB in the 4-16khz range) so I don't think that the mod you heard had the quarter mod which would do a slightly less boost in the same range from what a friend has told me she heard when she did the quarter mod to the foam. I'm also one that doesn't believe in headphone cables making a difference in sound but I've never tried a pure silver cable, only SPC ones which sounded the same as OCC/OFC cables to me but I do think that cables matter with speakers, especially for longer runs which might matter for headphone cables that are really long (+5m) since the resistance of the cable will come in to play IIRC (sorry, not a EE)

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #40,344 of 46,499
I've tried my HD650 without the foam padding and it made a really big change in the highs (like boosting the EQ 3-5dB in the 4-16khz range) so I don't think that the mod you heard had the quarter mod which would do a slightly less boost in the same range from what a friend has told me she heard when she did the quarter mod to the foam. I'm also one that doesn't believe in headphone cables making a difference in sound but I've never tried a pure silver cable, only SPC ones which sounded the same as OCC/OFC cables to me but I do think that cables matter with speakers, especially for longer runs which might matter for headphone cables that are really long (+5m) since the resistance of the cable will come in to play IIRC (sorry, not a EE)
Curious, the padding behind the earphone or the padding closest to the ear? Im almost tempted to try this myself, but for sure will wait till after the holidays! :D

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #40,345 of 46,499
Curious, the padding behind the earphone or the padding closest to the ear? Im almost tempted to try this myself, but for sure will wait till after the holidays! :D
The foam pad that you get with a set of new ear pads that gets placed over the drivers and under the pads, doing the quarter mod is a destructive mod and can't be undone without out getting a new layer of foam.

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #40,346 of 46,499
My hd650 is perfect as it is. At least out of Lotoo Paw Gold Diana.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #40,349 of 46,499
@JKDJedi , you don't notice any difference in the highs with or without the foam pad?
No not really, nothing immediate grabbed my attention. Played my go to track "The Tourist" by Radiohead and the highs sounded the same. I will add the pad on my HD6XX appears to be a lot thinner (I mean the stock pads on the HD6XX are t h i n) from what I'm seeing on the HD650, (this just from Youtube vids, don't have any xtra HD650 to compare these with) So maybe that's why there's reports of these 2 (HD650vsHD6XX) sounding different from each other? It was the pads?

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #40,350 of 46,499
No not really, nothing immediate grabbed my attention. Played my go to track "The Tourist" by Radiohead and the highs sounded the same. I will add the pad on my HD6XX appears to be a lot thinner (I mean the stock pads on the HD6XX are t h i n) from what I'm seeing on the HD650, (this just from Youtube vids, don't have any xtra HD650 to compare these with) So maybe that's why there's reports of these 2 (HD650vsHD6XX) sounding different from each other? It was the pads?
I just checked the foam pads of both HD6XX and HD650, HD650 foam pad is a bit thicker and the density of the foam also seems to be a bit denser than the foam pad of the HD6XX. This may also be why the HD6XX sounds a little different (brighter/cleaner) than my HD650. Going to have to check the HD660S the next time I visit my friend to see if the foam pad that it has is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back