Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #38,581 of 46,554

The 1.2 is a little warmer, but honestly the DFR provides enough. I consider the DFR "wire with gain" as opposed to any kind of colored amplifier. All depends on what you need it for. I used my DFR to have in my pocket for going to work and I love it to pieces for that. The Elemental Watson is the same price, but you'd need a separate DAC to go into it. 

Interesting.  I find the DF 1.2 to be just slightly bright but very smooth, and have read reviews on Amazon that the Red is warmer than the 1.2.  I generally trust the opinions here more than Amazon, even though some share at both places.  The DFR not needing a separate power supply for smartphone/tablet use, is a huge advantage over the 1.2

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #38,582 of 46,554

Interesting.  I find the DF 1.2 to be just slightly bright but very smooth, and have read reviews on Amazon that the Red is warmer than the 1.2.  I generally trust the opinions here more than Amazon, even though some share at both places.  The DFR not needing a separate power supply for smartphone/tablet use, is a huge advantage over the 1.2

The DFR isn't a smartphone device, FWIW. That'd be the Black. The Red has some more power draw and, at least in my experience, seemed to struggle a bit.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #38,583 of 46,554

agree with the issue of price but after hearing the Hugo with the HE560 and HD800 the price is well worth it IMO, better than most desktop systems under $2k, for the HD650 its over kill and I wouldn't even bother with the DFR since the X3 or X3ii will drive them quite well and I never travel with a device that I can connect the DFR directly to so its a moot point.

Not gonna lie, I went to Music to my Ear out in Pittsburgh to sample a few headphones and they have some serious horsepower in their equipment, including the Hugo. One of the sets I tested was the HD800s. It sounded pretty dang good, but I wasn't really there to focus on the amps, just get a feel for the headphones. Well, just for the hell of it, he stuck the 800S into the Elemental Watson (a $250 tube amp). To my ears, it blew the Hugo out of the water. The Hugo left it sounding clinical, the Watson sounded alive. I was there just to window shop some headphones, walked out with a new amp.

So now I use the Watson with my 650s and it sounds so effing good I'm getting dangerously close to end-game. Or at least "constantly reliable game."

HD800 and HD800S respond to different amps, the "S" is quite a bit warmer, like the HD650 so I tend to like amps that are neutral or cold/bright with it.  Its why I use a Telefunken driver in my BH Crack with the 650 while I'll change over to a Mullard or Amperex with the HD800.  When I had a friends HD800S for a few weeks it was much better with the Telefunken like the HD650, warm headphones + warm tubes is not a combination that sounds good to me.  The Hugo is a touch on the warm side but it is so clean that the highs don't have that overly warm tube sound on either the HD800 or HE560, two headphones that not many amps do well with.  Its one of the reasons I had a Liquid Glass for a few weeks and its one of the few amps that will drive anything well, over priced and very much in diminishing returns but great with any headphone you throw at it.  It could also be what you consider "clinical" is what I like so if the Elemental Watson is a great amp to you then no worries, your wallet is happy along with your ears.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #38,584 of 46,554

The DFR isn't a smartphone device, FWIW. That'd be the Black. The Red has some more power draw and, at least in my experience, seemed to struggle a bit.

I thought both Black and Red were marketed for use with smartphones.  At least they're both compatible, right?  I mean, the 1.2, wouldn't even work plugged directly to a smartphone.  Does the Red simply draw more power from the phone's battery, or does it have problems with playback?

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #38,585 of 46,554
Hi guys,
Thank you for all the replies.. :D

Here is my two cents..
I've listened to HD650 and HD600 for half an hour each in a retail store just now.. I was using my DFR + UAPP (bit perfect) + s7 edge + some audio test tracks.
With the DFR, HD600 sounded superior in mids (especially the vocals) and highs to my ears.. Well, there is one track which was too bright for me, even though it's not as bright as my iem hifiman re272 (analytical).
With the DFR, HD650 sounded more to laid back ss and easy to listen. And had a little (tiny) more base than HD650.
I was thinking about my Arctis 7 which has almost the same sound signature.
Then I ended up buying the HD600..
I'm not going to write more because this is a HD650 thread..
If you wanted to read more, I will post more in the dragonfly thread..

Cheers!

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #38,586 of 46,554
Hi guys,
Thank you for all the replies..
biggrin.gif

Here is my two cents..
I've listened to HD650 and HD600 for half an hour each in a retail store just now.. I was using my DFR + UAPP (bit perfect) + s7 edge + some audio test tracks.
With the DFR, HD600 sounded superior in mids (especially the vocals) and highs to my ears.. Well, there is one track which was too bright for me, even though it's not as bright as my iem hifiman re272 (analytical).
With the DFR, HD650 sounded more to laid back ss and easy to listen. And had a little (tiny) more base than HD650.
I was thinking about my Arctis 7 which has almost the same sound signature.
Then I ended up buying the HD600..
I'm not going to write more because this is a HD650 thread..
If you wanted to read more, I will post more in the dragonfly thread..

Cheers!

Can't go wrong with either, congrats 
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #38,587 of 46,554

I thought both Black and Red were marketed for use with smartphones.  At least they're both compatible, right?  I mean, the 1.2, wouldn't even work plugged directly to a smartphone.  Does the Red simply draw more power from the phone's battery, or does it have problems with playback?

AQ considers the Red more for PC use and the Black for smartphones.

Both are compatible, but on an older phone of mine the Red got kinda crackly and I think it's because of the power draw.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #38,588 of 46,554

Stone Saison > Abercrombie/Scofield's 'Solar' > uDO > Yggy > WA6+ > HD650

= ...great Monday Happy Hour...

...plus we had 21 minutes (approx three seven minute sessions) of sunshine in Seattle today. :D

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #38,589 of 46,554

...plus we had 21 minutes (approx three seven minute sessions) of sunshine in Seattle today.
biggrin.gif

Auuuugh Stone is my favorite brewery. Tied maybe with Founders.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #38,590 of 46,554

...plus we had 21 minutes (approx three seven minute sessions) of sunshine in Seattle today.
biggrin.gif

Haven't tried Saison yet, but Stone is good, and I love me a good IPA.  I think I'd actually take a fresh, cool IPA over the 650, if I had to choose.  No, I don't have a drinking problem
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #38,591 of 46,554

biggrin.gif

Funny how we want different things depending on where we are, I was at the driving range today wishing for some clouds
tongue.gif

Another thing about living in Hawaii, we don't get much good beer brands here, but we do get some great sake with the large Asian community.

Haven't tried Saison yet, but Stone is good, and I love me a good IPA.  I think I'd actually take a fresh, cool IPA over the 650, if I had to choose.  No, I don't have a drinking problem
bigsmile_face.gif

I'd trade my HD650 for a few bottles of wine, already traded my SR009/SRM007mk2 for 6 cases of wine and 12 bottles of scotch.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #38,592 of 46,554
I'm hoping to make a trip to Hawaii. Seeing 5 O gets me going on the tv!! What makes me laugh though is how all the extras in the beach scenes are thin looking model types. I might get a disappointment when faced with reality.

I love the hd650 sound except for the stereo width which seems a little narrow. Totally, they're lovely headphones and I don't think mine would leave for any wine!! I've given away or sold 4 now so have actually bought four of them and always regretted getting rid of the last one.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #38,593 of 46,554
off topic tv!

Quote:
I'm hoping to make a trip to Hawaii. Seeing 5 O gets me going on the tv!! What makes me laugh though is how all the extras in the beach scenes are thin looking model types. I might get a disappointment when faced with reality.

I love the hd650 sound except for the stereo width which seems a little narrow. Totally, they're lovely headphones and I don't think mine would leave for any wine!! I've given away or sold 4 now so have actually bought four of them and always regretted getting rid of the last one.

funny how stupid translations change our perception. to me 5-0 is The Wire with the kids in the project warning when the cops are coming. because the good old Hawaii 5-0 in france is named  something that would translate into "Hawaii state police"
confused_face.gif
. so while I know what the expression originates from, my brain keeps bringing the wrong reference and the poor dockers near the water aren't thin looking models. on the bright side, I doubt I would be disappointed when faced with real Baltimore ^_^. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #38,594 of 46,554

Quote:

It would have to be some really good wine for me to trade the HD650, lately I've been associating headphones with various wines for some of my friends who are audio lingo challenged, by explaining in terms of different wines they understand the differences in sound quickly, the HD650 is a Alexander Valley Silver Oak, smooth, not very complex and good with a wide variety of food or music.

As for the extras in beach scenes they are hired for their looks but most that hang at the beach are in decent shape, swimming, surfing, paddle boarding and paddling in kayak/canoe is a work out for keeping in shape.

If you ever do make the trip to Hawaii, look me up, I'm a block away from Waikiki / Ala Moana beach, view from outside my kitchen:

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #38,595 of 46,554
Wow!! The TV series is almost like an advert for Hawaii. They do show a lot of shots of the area which are very highly coloured. It looks so appealing so we may well be visiting some time.

I love folk music but rarely hear Hawaiian based music over here. Other than a sound which seems close on film .... Moana!!

Doesn't strike me as an island that might have a great deal of Hi-Fi retailers so I guess you might well be buying a lot of gear from abroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back