Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #38,552 of 46,565
The Tascam for room speakers (I have the Edifiers S730 hooked up), it's really nice, love it, really love it. And ASIO options and latency for FLStudio etc are all good. Also some built in effects etc via it's software but no need when you got winamp. 366 is better but both are discontinued now sadly.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #38,553 of 46,565
Just as a random note. These sound absolutely ridiculous out of an Elemental Watson with the right tubes.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #38,554 of 46,565
I'm leaning on the side off, dont waste your time at the moment.

Don't get me wrong however, the sound even from the momentus fail of a simple setup showed me that the DT990s had vastly better sound quality than the vmoda m100s i have (on ebay lol). but, for such a simple task and engineering point of view this should be 1,2,3 not.. 2 weeks of research and comaprison and then to spend a further 5 days hands on finding the equipment dont do what it does or work that way in 3+ setups and then..... Amazed it wasn't simplified in the late 90s. Especially when it comes to amps. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #38,555 of 46,565
  I'm leaning on the side off, dont waste your time at the moment.

Don't get me wrong however, the sound even from the momentus fail of a simple setup showed me that the DT990s had vastly better sound quality than the vmoda m100s i have (on ebay lol). but, for such a simple task and engineering point of view this should be 1,2,3 not.. 2 weeks of research and comaprison and then to spend a further 5 days hands on finding the equipment dont do what it does or work that way in 3+ setups and then..... Amazed it wasn't simplified in the late 90s. Especially when it comes to amps. 

I'm gonna level with you here.

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #38,556 of 46,565
  I'm gonna level with you here.

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying.

He wanted a pair of HD650 so he bought a pair of DT990 and is unable to deafen himself with a $100 amp without getting strange noises from the cans. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #38,557 of 46,565

ironically I just thought I would give it another go....

I plugged the headphones into the Tascam US-322 and it can max the volume, zero distortion from sound, signal and headphones but a tad on the quiet side (like hi-fi playing in another room quiet).

I plugged them into the Little Dot 1+ and it is louder but not by much, I can easily max the volume and not even blink at how loud it is, distorts like hell and crackles on certain beats and lower frequencies.

This amp (little dot 1+) has a lot of background noise also when vol is above 50%, sounds like a motor ddddddddddddddddddddd (with very slight flange effect lol)....

Ohms vs Watts vs Resistance - not all is listed clearly on each amp or headphone. I have no clue anymore.

If I could get a recommend for a digital amp, listed on Amazon UK (link?) that can power the HD650 / DT990 fully for £110 or less, I would buy it literally tomorrow...

As is, I'm sending everything back... It's just cost me £16 shipping costs to receive and send everything back lol

I got my HD650's less than two months ago. I started with my FiiO Q1 amp/dac which drives them ok, my xduoo x3 drives them to good levels actually and after some burn in they were the best thing I've ever heard. Later I bought a one tube Chinese nobsound ns-02e amp and a GE JAN 5670 tube and it's amazing how good that little thing can sound for the price. I bought an xduoo xd-05 with the Burson audio V5i opamp and they sounded really good but somehow I listened more to the inexpensive nobsound.

The thing is that I kept on thinking that I wasn't doing my cans any justice by getting really cheap or budget friendly stuff, so I decided to get a Project Polaris (which ins't really expensive) and sold everything but the little tubey nobsound. 

Having said that, I think the FiiO A5 has plenty of power for the 650's and I see it for £109 on amazon UK, but if you get the 650's I fully believe you'll be wanting to upgrade hoping to reach their full potential. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #38,558 of 46,565
  @Actimel, i think there is something wrong with the system, i can't get my DT-990 to distort on maxed out volume on my Fiio X3ii or on my BH Crack at 3/4 volume which is loud enough to hurt my ears within a few seconds.  Its possible the tubes need to burn-in and causing the distortion.

This is a thread about the Sennheiser HD 650. We don't care if you can distort your DT-990 or not. Take it to another thread.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #38,559 of 46,565

This is a thread about the Sennheiser HD 650. We don't care if you can distort your DT-990 or not. Take it to another thread.

sorry guys, I had suggested he take it to the DT-990 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/38505#post_13406441) but it was also having to do with the HD650 at times so I let it go.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #38,560 of 46,565
  He wanted a pair of HD650 so he bought a pair of DT990 and is unable to deafen himself with a $100 amp without getting strange noises from the cans. 

I can talk louder than the volume the amps got to, impossible to deafen.

sorry guys, I had suggested he take it to the DT-990 thread but it was also having to do with the HD650 at times so I let it go.  If you read back you will notice that he was originally asking about the HD650
tongue.gif

No worries. This will be last post. DT990 was recommended by someone on here, just kept it going as people were talking, seemed logical. Ah well. Over and out.

No worries, wont post again.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #38,561 of 46,565
I have been using the DFR with my Massdrop HD6xx (equivalent to HD650) with my iPad Pro and iPhone 6s using the USB3 Camera adaptor and listening to Apple Music, Spotify and a few songs from my Apple Library. I have not yet compared the sound to other sources, but I can say that this portable setup is very enjoyable. I think that the DFR and HD6xx are very well matched. Maybe the slight brightness of the DFR you mentioned matches well with the slight rollback of extreme highs on the Sennheisers. In any case, using the iPad or iPhone as a source, I don't think you can beat the quality/price ratio of my HD6xx/DFR portable setup...

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #38,562 of 46,565
I have been using the DFR with my Massdrop HD6xx (equivalent to HD650) with my iPad Pro and iPhone 6s using the USB3 Camera adaptor and listening to Apple Music, Spotify and a few songs from my Apple Library. I have not yet compared the sound to other sources, but I can say that this portable setup is very enjoyable. I think that the DFR and HD6xx are very well matched. Maybe the slight brightness of the DFR you mentioned matches well with the slight rollback of extreme highs on the Sennheisers. In any case, using the iPad or iPhone as a source, I don't think you can beat the quality/price ratio of my HD6xx/DFR portable setup...

The DFR is a REALLY capable little device. I'm glad to have one in my arsenal.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #38,565 of 46,565
  Dragon Fly Red USB DAC/amp

And it works surprisingly well with the HD650. I know some people call it bright, but to my ears it's more like "wire with gain," which is perfect for a little pocket amplification solution. I've yet to run into any headphones that don't sound great with them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back