Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #38,566 of 46,565
  And it works surprisingly well with the HD650. I know some people call it bright, but to my ears it's more like "wire with gain," which is perfect for a little pocket amplification solution. I've yet to run into any headphones that don't sound great with them. 

I was just answering the poster above, haven't tried it since I have no need for portable amps as my X3 and X3ii are more than enough for the headphones I travel with.  But if I were to get a portable DAC/amp then it will probably a Hugo/2 if I ever decide I want to take the HD650, HE560, HD800 on my travels, highly unlikely but never say never.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #38,567 of 46,565
  I was just answering the poster above, haven't tried it since I have no need for portable amps as my X3 and X3ii are more than enough for the headphones I travel with.  But if I were to get a portable DAC/amp then it will probably a Hugo/2 if I ever decide I want to take the HD650, HE560, HD800 on my travels, highly unlikely but never say never.

Considering the DFR is literally 1/10th the price of the Hugo 2 I'd definitely wager most would rather go DFR for portability.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #38,568 of 46,565

Considering the DFR is literally 1/10th the price of the Hugo 2 I'd definitely wager most would rather go DFR for portability.

agree with the issue of price but after hearing the Hugo with the HE560 and HD800 the price is well worth it IMO, better than most desktop systems under $2k, for the HD650 its over kill and I wouldn't even bother with the DFR since the X3 or X3ii will drive them quite well and I never travel with a device that I can connect the DFR directly to so its a moot point.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #38,569 of 46,565
  agree with the issue of price but after hearing the Hugo with the HE560 and HD800 the price is well worth it IMO, better than most desktop systems under $2k, for the HD650 its over kill and I wouldn't even bother with the DFR since the X3 or X3ii will drive them quite well and I never travel with a device that I can connect the DFR directly to so its a moot point.

No, the X3II does not drive the HD650 well enough. I have both.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #38,577 of 46,565

Not gonna lie, I went to Music to my Ear out in Pittsburgh to sample a few headphones and they have some serious horsepower in their equipment, including the Hugo. One of the sets I tested was the HD800s. It sounded pretty dang good, but I wasn't really there to focus on the amps, just get a feel for the headphones. Well, just for the hell of it, he stuck the 800S into the Elemental Watson (a $250 tube amp). To my ears, it blew the Hugo out of the water. The Hugo left it sounding clinical, the Watson sounded alive. I was there just to window shop some headphones, walked out with a new amp.

So now I use the Watson with my 650s and it sounds so effing good I'm getting dangerously close to end-game. Or at least "constantly reliable game."

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #38,580 of 46,565

Does the DFR/650 combo provide enough bass?  How does it compare to DF 1.2/650 combo (if you've tried it)?

The 1.2 is a little warmer, but honestly the DFR provides enough. I consider the DFR "wire with gain" as opposed to any kind of colored amplifier. All depends on what you need it for. I used my DFR to have in my pocket for going to work and I love it to pieces for that. The Elemental Watson is the same price, but you'd need a separate DAC to go into it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back