Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #34,141 of 46,554
  I REALLY like these, but they seem to be missing a lot of detail my cheaper cans produce. IEMs included, I know they are hard to drive an need proper amplification but I'm starting to worry that that "veil" you hear of is what I'm hearing. I've had them running for around 20-25 hours so far.

I'm using a e10k on high gain and I'm getting very decent volume from them. I know this is a budget amp but I'm worried if I spend a lot of money on a better DAC I'm going to be let down.

Maybe I'm after something not so easy listening and energetic?! i think I'm gonna give up on over heads and stick to my IEMs lol.

I can understand your sentiments. Regarding the detail, there are areas of the HD650 that aren't as detailed as say my MDR-7550 IEMs , but overall the presentation is more realistic. I also feel that the detail is there, especially when I'm listening to field recordings. Its a bit blurred, and doesn't quite have the precision of my LCD2.

Also, on the bass end, the HD650 are great, but all of my other headphones outperform them in this area in one way or altogether. For instance the LCD2 is just flat our superior on the low-end. I get spine chills listening to certain bass music because it just hits a nerve. My 7550s have the most bass presence of all of the headphones, and also hit the sub-bass lower with great clarity. The 7520, has a dynamic driver that I feel rivals the 650, and its bass hits harder with more sub-bass and authority.

All that said, the bass is completely enjoyable on the 650, and my ears acclimate. I sometimes use a bit of EQ to make the signature more neutral and more realistic (which is actually to raise the sub-bass and some of the top end). On many occasions, I'm able to crank the 650 and always enjoy whatever I'm listening to. And of course, never fatiguing. 

They have been getting the most head-time recently. They are just so easy to put on, listen to music, enjoy, and repeat. 

Anyhow, there is reason they are so highly regarded. Its the complete picture they put together. Cohesive, romantic, dynamic, just plain awesome. :)

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #34,142 of 46,554
Congratulations.  Big difference with the HD650 versus the Vali 2 ?

Interested in this too.

Will be a few days before posting my thoughts between the two. There are subtle differences I'm still getting a handle on. One thing I will say is that the Valhalla is definitely the better pairing of the two.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #34,143 of 46,554
Will be a few days before posting my thoughts between the two. There are subtle differences I'm still getting a handle on. One thing I will say is that the Valhalla is definitely the better pairing of the two.

I have the original Valhalla and the Vali 2 with a Philips ECC88 tube, and I prefer the Valhalla with the HD 650. I can't speak for the Valhalla 2, but the Valhalla/HD 650 pairing is to my ears one of those rare cases of synergy that sounds just magical.​

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #34,144 of 46,554

If I'm still let down I'm going to get a gang of hd650-haters and get my revenge on you lot :)

You will find those people in the AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions thread. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #34,146 of 46,554
  ... it might also be that your preferences may be better satisfied with a different headphone.

I really hope not lol. if these don't shine with the Geek Out 1000 DAC then I'm giving up on over ear. I'm new to this hobby (JAN) so haven't spent crazy money yet, but I've had plenty of sets let me down already. AKG k550, Grado sr80e, Soundmagic HP150 among them. Returned Dunu Dn2000 IEMs last week too.

I get the GO1k next Tuesday so I'll be sure to come back.

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #34,147 of 46,554
I really hope not lol. if these don't shine with the Geek Out 1000 DAC then I'm giving up on over ear. I'm new to this hobby (JAN) so haven't spent crazy money yet, but I've had plenty of sets let me down already. AKG k550, Grado sr80e, Soundmagic HP150 among them. Returned Dunu Dn2000 IEMs last week too.

Rest assured that you have an excellent headphone in the HD650. As many have pointed out get yourself a dedicated amp that has good synergy with the HD650. Be patient, let your brain adjust to the over ear design and you will end up enjoying a lifetime of musical bliss.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #34,148 of 46,554
The 650's bass can be slightly improved gutting and modding. Just slightly. It never touches HD-800 or Audeze bass, but it becomes more visceral/defined with the back dampening foam removed and dynamat applied. The 650 bass is tasteful; not luscious, juicy and in your face. Another method some people like is via software EQ... Have you tried using Sonarworks?

As for the GO 1000, it'll probably be a slight improvement, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference. Most cans can be assessed with practically any amp. Sure, it helps to understand how well they work together, but usually if you aren't into the sound, nothing can really change it too dramatically to sway opinions. We do talk in hyperbole about pairings, but the very minor differences do sound subjectively much different after a lot of listening. If you'd truly like to hear the 650's on a good day, just try them on a Bottlehead Crack and see if you like them.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #34,149 of 46,554

Rest assured that you have an excellent headphone in the HD650. As many have pointed out get yourself a dedicated amp that has good synergy with the HD650. Be patient, let your brain adjust to the over ear design and you will end up enjoying a lifetime of musical bliss.

Great advice ....A good OTL amp with some nice power tubes and the bass becomes very nice on the HD650

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #34,150 of 46,554
a human can get used to almost any amount of abuse and suffering, so be a man and get used to a headphone when people try to convince you that you must love it!!!!
biggrin.gif

or just get rid of anything that isn't to your taste? because there are other fishes in the sea and it's your life.

IMO the hd650 is nice for the price and comfort it provides. but the subs are rolled off, and the bass are highly distorted(I happen to like that sound but it's not more realistic than anything else). so I can get that not everybody has to suck up to that headphone(mid veil not included in that rant, must be purchased separately).

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #34,152 of 46,554
Hey guys my Hd650s will be here on Monday, can't wait to step up from the 598s!

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #34,154 of 46,554
Here are some impressions from a couple hours of direct comparisons.  Used sinegen to get both amps volume matched +/- 2db.  Found out that symphonic metal is really good to use for comparisons.  Lots of different instruments.

DAC: Modi 2 Uber    
AMP: Valhalla 2 compared to Vali 2 (stock tubes in both)   
Headphones: HD650 (no EQ/no mods)

Epica - Victims of Contigency (symphonic metal): Bass had better definition and more kick on the Valhalla.  Better instrument seperation.  Differences were subtle.

Thomas Bergersen - Children of the Sun (symphony/electronic): Again, better bass definition and more visceral kick on Valhalla. Soundstage was also bigger.  Female vocals were more natural/intimate. Differences were moderate.

Delain - Army of Dolls (metal) - Once again, better bass definition and kick on Valhalla.  Female vocals more natural/intimate.  Differences were subtle.

Kamelot - Abandoned (metal ballad) - Male vocals were more natural/intimate on the Vali.  Other than that I couldn't detect any noticeable differences.

Overall so far the Valhalla 2 is clearly superior, though the amount of differences is subtle most of the time.  Really shows how great of a pairing the Vali 2 already is.

I will do more direct comparisons in the coming week and write more detailed thoughts.  First time I'm doing these sort of direct amp comparisons and they take awhile.  I also have a Bifrost 4490 coming wednesday that I will include in the comparisons.

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #34,155 of 46,554
I guess I'll post what I thought about Bottlehead crack vs torpedo III.

Stage width t3 > crack
crack lost hard here stage width is weak due to channel separation is weak.

Stage depth t3 > crack
T3 pulls ahead because of it's excellent clarity.

Resolution and Clarity: t3 > crack
No contest here

Dynamics t3 > crack
What t3 dynamics is the best I have ever heard.

Tone crack > t3
Crack just sounds right in the tone. It's more warmer and more tube sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back